Moody Gardens: Developments & Updates

http://www.cityofgalveston.org/news/default.cfm?ID=1576

Design Rendering

Sneak a Peek: View a Design Rendering of the Golf Course

08/13/07

The course, managed by Moody Gardens, Inc., is currently undergoing $14 million in capital improvements as planned.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The City of Galveston and Moody Gardens, Inc. signed and executed an agreement officially turning over the management of the Municipal Golf Course on Friday, February 2, 2007. With construction underway, Moody Gardens, Inc. hopes to re-open the course in April 2008.

In the meantime, please visit the Island Driving Range.

Location & Contact Information:

9020 Stewart Road

Phone: (409) 741-1357

Fax: (409) 741-0466

Hours of Operation:

12:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m., 7 days a week

More information is available. Please visit the following link:

http://www.cityofgalveston.org/recreation/...rse/default.cfm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think the actual rendering will appear, but go to the link and you can see it. I saw this in City Hall and the plan and new layout is very impressive, especially when they are spending much more than the proposed $14 million.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually saw the work they were doing when I visited my aunt over the summer. It looked like giant piles of sand so far. I have to admit I was little depressed, I played golf back in high school and I knew that course like the back of my hand, now it'll never be the same. (Playing every other day for a couple years will do that)

But on the plus side, at least G-town gets a new course without really getting a "new course". Does anyone know how much it will cost? Will the cost of the remodel be reflected in the green fees?

P.S. If you ever want a great spot to watch the airshow they have every April... grab some mosquito spray then drive down 99th street and walk around what was then holes 6 and 7 (just over the bridge), camp out in the trees. Ahhh... to be a kid again...

Come back - they have done a lot of work and finished the grading on the front 6. It's going to be great - they have added a ton of trees along 99th Street.

Actually, the green fees for Galveston residents, to begin, is $27/round. Unreal! I think non-residents is in the $50 range. As far as the cost of the course, the original proposal was for $14 million but I heard that they are going way above that now. Supposedly they are offering a nice restaurant in the club house. It is going to be great for the island!

I remember playing at the old Municipal Golf Course when I attended Galveston College in 1973/74. It was located on 61st St. and Seawall Blvd. (present day Randall's and back to the new Walmart on Seawall. There are a couple of residential streets back there as a reminder to the past named Fairway and Golfcrest). The city sold that property not long after then and used the proceeds to build the new course out at the airport. I remember there being a big argument about using airport land for a golf course. The FAA got involved for awhile but all decided that Scholes Field would never need that property for expansion.

• 8 months later...
Sweetness, but they should make it look like a pyramid regardless. Sucks that it won't. It would be a great marketing angle to call it the 4th Pyramid. I guess they do not want to spend money redo-ing the logo.

At $150 million dollars and 175,000 sqft., they are going to have to redo the logo anyway. I'd imagine it's going to be a sizable structure.

At $150 million dollars and 175,000 sqft., they are going to have to redo the logo anyway. I'd imagine it's going to be a sizable structure.

It would have been a much larger expansion, with retail, restaurants and other entertainment, but the Mitchell and Fertitta interests, both of whom have members on the governing Parks Board, objected. Yahoo for the Moody's, and way to go Bobby!

Can't agree more, but if it is not an official pyramid, it won't go in the logo.

As cool as it would be seeing "Matterhorn Bobsled" looking ice mountian (yes I know it's a glacier, not a mountain), it will look out of place with the rest of the major structures (pyramids) no matter how they design it.

matterhorn_withskyway.jpg

It would be nicer if they would stick with the theme they started, and just make an icey white looking pyramid.

No complaints regardless, just get it built, one more cool thing to do in the Houston area. B)

I wouldn't think that this would be the best political "climate" so to speak to plan something which will require such massive cooling and energy use just so rich folks can look at polar bears. At close to 40 bucks a head, and probably going up when this is built, I can't afford to go to MG more than about once a year, especially with gas and food costs.

I wouldn't think that this would be the best political "climate" so to speak to plan something which will require such massive cooling and energy use just so rich folks can look at polar bears. At close to 40 bucks a head, and probably going up when this is built, I can't afford to go to MG more than about once a year, especially with gas and food costs.

They should make a 4th pyramid covered in solar panels, heck, that could power enough energy to run the entire place and offset the cost to keep the building super cold.

It would make a huge statement about they efforts to be "green".

It would be nicer if they would stick with the theme they started, and just make an icey white looking pyramid.

No complaints regardless, just get it built, one more cool thing to do in the Houston area. B)

I think the article from galveston said it would be glass, so maybe it'll look like the pyramids more than we think?

I think the article from galveston said it would be glass, so maybe it'll look like the pyramids more than we think?

No, already debunct in the Chron article.

Moody Gardens executives favor the glacier concept, but will leave it up to the architects. "We know for sure it will not be another pyramid," he said.

Bummer I know, but it won't be in the shape of a pyramid.

I can't afford to go to MG more than about once a year, especially with gas and food costs.

Ditto! We visited the recent Titanic exhibit at MG and I wanted to break the glass and take home an artifact to get my $ worth. :o

For $40.00 a head I would be even more tempted to break off some i-berg and well I sure wish I had an iceberg next to me now.

They should make a 4th pyramid covered in solar panels, heck, that could power enough energy to run the entire place and offset the cost to keep the building super cold.

It would make a huge statement about they efforts to be "green".

Well, trying to maximize the use of solar sounds like a good idea, but I bet it wouldn't come close to providing enough energy to meet the need.

The admission was just for the Titanic exhibit although I imagine you can walk around and take picture of the flamingos, etc Thats what we did.

Its a good exhibit worth seeing, take a hankerschief its pretty heart breaking and depressing. You know they hand you a boarding pass as if you are an actual passenger. You do not know your fate until you exit the show. Be sure to read the large passenger list at the end. I bought some dinner plates so now I can eat 1st class whenever I want. They are expensive too.

I was some guy from Iteland moving to NY to get a job and stay with family...miraculously survived!

Here is what the card reads (I kept the card in my desk)

WHITE STAR LINE - Ticket # 383162

Passengar name: Edward Ryan from Ballinareen, County Tipperary, Ireland.

Age 24

Sailing from: Queenstown 4/10/1912

Traveling to: Troy, NY

Reason: Edward was immigrating to Troy, NY where his sister lived; he hoped to find work there.

Passenger fact: Edward was very enthusiastic about treveling on Titanic. while on board, he befriended an engineer who let him tour the Ship's engine room.

I kind of want to see this thing. How long will it be in MG?

Quite long, I asked the cashier and she said October?

and the boarding pass has no mention on it. I just realized I was 3rd class, phooey!

Be sure to stop and read each of the portraits that grace the walls as you enter. I wont describe them so as not to spoil the fun but there is one of a family of about 7 ranging from 1 to about 12 and the parents and all perished. It's quite sad since the photo was taken like days before boarding and everyone is smiling. Tears are swelling up now... :mellow:

It's amazing the fascination that Titanic holds in our culture even 96 years later. I read that there is only one remaining Titanic survivor still alive, who was two months old at the time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millvina_Dean

That is awesome.

I personally have been entranced since childhood and what mom said she heard over the decades. I think the 1st film we saw was 1953's Titanic with Clifton Webb/Barbara Stanwyck and others. You had to stay up until midnight to see on the Late Show. I was that curious to see it as a kid. :ph34r:

As the caption state's: Audience's were terrified after viewing this film. (and that was then)

To this day I cannot believe that pride and arrogance caused this disaster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryRaN6ux2PI

Archived