Garden Club Of Houston Texas Medical Center Park At 1129 Wilkins St.

Highrise Tower

Never knew about this small, local, park in the TMC!

Now swallowed-up by the Houston Methodist Research Institute, and the Walter & Centennial Tower.

1129 Wilkins Street
Garden Club of Houston Park (1982)
Charles Tapley Associates

This exquisitely detailed garden court seeks valiantly to compensate for the mean, chaotic, indifferent treatment of public spaces within the Texas Medical Center. The fountain is a rewarding demonstration of what can be accomplished with thoughtfulness and ingenuity. Unfortunately, the garden was conceived as an isolated treatment rather than the model for more amenable public environment within the medical center.

N1BWIJ8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Edit: Found it.

I discovered a park in the Texas Medical Center designed by Charles Tapley.  The park bounded Bertner Avenue and Wilkins Street.

Was this ever realized? From what I know, Marry Jones Gibbs had a garden next to the Institute of Religion with an opening ceremony of May 1984.  I'm not sure if that's the same park as the one seen below.  Possibly it's a different park?

Anyone remember anything about this?

A park for the Texas Medical Center * A project of Garden Club of Houston * Charles Tapley Associates.

FUAGBIS.jpeg

• The title was changed to Garden Club Of Houston Texas Medical Center Park At 1129 Wilkins St.