George R. Brown Convention Center Redevelopment, Office Building & W Hotel

Sunstar

All this is great news for retail. Soon there will be enough activity for some better shopping downtown. With all the hotels and convention activity, it won't be long before we start seeing some much more interesting retailers take interest. Only thing I can't figure out is where they will go? GreenStreet/Dallas, Avenida de las Americas, Main St?

It's almost like the GRB is being positioned like a mall. With its orientation to all these high-end hotels and green space, maybe that's kind of what it should become, at least in part. Since some restaurant space will be built along Avenida anyway, why not go full-on with retail space too? If I were a retailer, I'd want to be as close to the hotels and the foot traffic as possible. Avenida de las Americas and around Discovery Green makes sense, especially with all the improvements being made. It's also enough space to get a decent density of shopping, yet small enough as to not be overwhelming. It's kind of like a combo of some of the Vegas and Asian city (Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, Tokyo, etc) convention center/mall/hotels and, say, Union Square in NYC. Well, sort of. 

Things could start getting really interesting over there...

Edited by largeTEXAS
  • Like 2

I think i head that previously they had develop a team to do a study on where retail would be great for downtown and if i am correct it was withing the intersecions of Main and Dallas or within that area.

Yes, there is a retail task force trying to make that intersection the heart of the "Retail District." That could be a decent intersection and Dallas will ultimately become a decent shopping street if Midway, 1111 Travis, 1111 Main, and the Downtown District pull off some nice improvements and do a good job leasing. But, with all these higher-end hotels, DG, and improvements over by the GRB, it's getting easier to envision retail wanting to be closer to those amenities. And, right now, Main and Dallas is pretty down-and-out feeling. I've taken retailers by that corner for years and, just about every time, something crazy is going down as we're touring. It's sad, really. A lot would have to happen in order for that to be the center of retail downtown. Could happen...and I hope it does, but we're still a long way from that intersection being attractive to retailers. 

Yes, there is a retail task force trying to make that intersection the heart of the "Retail District." That could be a decent intersection and Dallas will ultimately become a decent shopping street if Midway, 1111 Travis, 1111 Main, and the Downtown District pull off some nice improvements and do a good job leasing. But, with all these higher-end hotels, DG, and improvements over by the GRB, it's getting easier to envision retail wanting to be closer to those amenities. And, right now, Main and Dallas is pretty down-and-out feeling. I've taken retailers by that corner for years and, just about every time, something crazy is going down as we're touring. It's sad, really. A lot would have to happen in order for that to be the center of retail downtown. Could happen...and I hope it does, but we're still a long way from that intersection being attractive to retailers. 

Those are some good points, Avenida de Americas might become more attractive as you stated due to the Hotels but also Discovery Green is a plus and soon the nau center and the already minute paid park and toyota center.

Crazy transformation

iBvu1EV.jpg

rue1VOF.jpg

What is the approximate date of these images?

Id say the top image is 1970 as that appears to be 1 Shell Plaza under construction. The bottom image looks to be 1986 as construction has not yet begun on GRB itself yet

Edited by tigereye

Its probably been discussed before, but why were McKinney and Lamar streets made to flare out like that, even pre GRB?

Was it part of the grandiose Houston Center plan that never happened?

I would imagine it was so traffic could still flow seamlessly on those two streets around the yet to be built convention center.

The site was the part of the Houston Center project that got spiked and turned into The Parking District.  I think the swerves were added as Phase 1 the GRB construction.  And yep, GRB started out smaller if I recall correctly - it goes further south (the swerve on the right) now.  One Shell is about 80% to topping out, so I'd go with 1970, or maybe late '69.