800 Bell St. (Former Exxon Building) Conversion to Residential

TheNiche

Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

http://zieglercooper.com/800-bell/

Ziegler Cooper won an invitation-only competition for the extensive renovation of the Humble Oil Headquarters building. The 44 level structure, completed in 1962 and located in the southernmost portion of Houston’s Skyline District at Milam and Bell Streets, was once the tallest building west of the Mississippi River. When the original tenant – now ExxonMobil – vacates in the second quarter of 2015, a complete transformation of the building will begin, bringing it up to compete with other Class A+ properties in downtown Houston.

8M7yYX1.jpg

OmHDQG9.jpg

TgWPESi.jpg

Edited by Triton
  • Like 7

it's losing the historical significance.  it could have been a very mid-century chic renovation.  the owner and the market rule the day; not a negative statement.  i hoped for a sensitive reno that would capture the spirit of 60's modern and update simultaneously.  at least it doesn't suck.

• Like 3

Symbolizes the transformation of Exxon from the slender member of the "Seven Sisters" in the 60's to the hulking superpower it is today.

Looks good. Loses the elan of the original with its slender proportions, but the surface treatment is very eye-catchey. The inverted slant of the top seems a little uninspired.

Why do they say 44 floors - I thought it was 50? Could make it very difficult for another tower (besides Hines, Chevron, and Hilcorp) to get off the ground with this much space coming on the market.

Edited by H-Town Man

Exxon, Sheraton-Lincoln, Astrodome....Houston is quickly losing its mid-century mojo.

Is anyone aware of another skyscraper of emodeling of this massive a scope?

Yes, it is still in its early phases but Brookfield Properties is going to have One Allen Center completely remodeled inside and out. I only know about it because my client is the head of an architecture firm that is working with Brookfield for the redesign and he is currently the head supervisor of the JWMarriot renovations.

Yes, it is still in its early phases but Brookfield Properties is going to have One Allen Center completely remodeled inside and out. I only know about it because my client is the head of an architecture firm that is working with Brookfield for the redesign and he is currently the head supervisor of the JWMarriot renovations.

It seems odd that they would do One Allen Center and not its twin, Two Allen Center.  

and underground plaza connecting into the tunnel system!

I'm guessing the connection would be through the Wedge Building.  Hard to say if an underground plaza at 800 Bell would generate or receive much tunnel traffic.  

Correction - moving to total plaza

I'm a little sorry to hear that.  I had been in the  Petroleum Club a couple of times a while back, and it definitely had that 1960s vibe going.  Sort of like visiting the set of 'Mad Men'.

Correction - moving to total plaza

Ugh, almost 10 floors lower than their place at ExxonMobile. So much for having my wedding reception there... Maybe they will move back after renovations? Heh

They still have the 2 upper floors distinguished from the rest of the tower in the new renovations like something would go up there

Edited by cloud713

I'm guessing the connection would be through the Wedge Building. Hard to say if an underground plaza at 800 Bell would generate or receive much tunnel traffic.

Wedge tunnel access sounds right.. Agreed the outdoor underground plaza won't receive much traffic except from the Exxon building tenants. Maybe some new office or residential tower will eventually be built on one of the vacant lots around Exxon and bring more people to use that area.

I'm just hoping all the redevelopments/new developments help light up our downtown skyline! I love Wells Fargo's light strip when it color changes like it was the other night.

agreed.. Hines new tower has a light up crown and lighting down 2 sides of the building, this one will have a light up crown, International Tower (if/when it gets off the ground) will have an almost 700' span of LEDs down the side, Hines residential tower at Market Square seems to have a light up section at the top. and hopefully the inner/taller box of Capital Tower lights up. im still waiting to see if Chevrons new tower will feature any lighting. its about time downtown steps up their lighting game and doesnt treat lighting as an afterthought.

• Like 1

Question regarding the four floating purple rectangles in the middle of the facade... is there any reason why they start and stop where they do, or why there are four of them and not 3 or 2 or 7? Or is it completely arbitrary?

Wouldn't this design look better if they were combined into one continuous purple rectangle running top to bottom? Or if they were removed altogether?

The more I look at the design, the more I love it. I think this project for downtown is now the one I'm most excited about.

agreed.. Hines new tower has a light up crown and lighting down 2 sides of the building, this one will have a light up crown, International Tower (if/when it gets off the ground) will have an almost 700' span of LEDs down the side, Hines residential tower at Market Square seems to have a light up section at the top. and hopefully the inner/taller box of Capital Tower lights up. im still waiting to see if Chevrons new tower will feature any lighting. its about time downtown steps up their lighting game and doesnt treat lighting as an afterthought.

I believe the Marriot Marquis will have a lit top as well. Skyhouse will have lighting too, but not as noteworthy as the others.

• Like 1