800 Bell St. (Former Exxon Building) Conversion to Residential

TheNiche

Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

Where do these employees park?

According to the article, "....The Exxon Mobil tower and its seven-story garage cover two downtown blocks...."

Edit: Brijonmang got it.  :)

Edited by Triton

Very nice. In my opinion, an upgrade over its current appearance--- which I'm not a huge fan of.

My question is, is this an architects weekend project that were seeing or is there substance to possible renovations? 

The building was sold earlier this year to Shorenstein Properties who said they planned "significant improvements" to the building "to increase the property’s value by establishing its long-term position and further enhancing its reputation in the market"

• Like 1

One of the problems with this building is there is nothing around it, compared to the other Class A office towers in downtown (and no tunnel access, although I hate the tunnels).  That said, this part of downtown appears to be picking up though, so perhaps they can get the high paying tenants.  

I honestly don't like it. This building is one of my favorites downtown. They should've just cleaned out the inside and was the outside maybe replace a few things. Downtown needs more brick building and not so many glass boxes. Hopefully the next wave of construction will be a humble one with more brick and detail.

Bad news: Kirksey didn't get the bid, so these renderings (and the video, already removed from the Vimeo page) are just for show.

Here's the story on Swamplot:

No, the Renovated Bell St. ExxonMobil Building Is Not Gonna Look Like This

Probably another situation where an Architectural firm agreed to do an initial study only, for peanuts, hoping to get the big commission in the future.

Once the developer get the ideas they probably shopped around the production/cd portion to other firms who could do it for even less money. 

Gotta love how the architecture industry operates.

I honestly don't like it. This building is one of my favorites downtown. They should've just cleaned out the inside and was the outside maybe replace a few things. Downtown needs more brick building and not so many glass boxes. Hopefully the next wave of construction will be a humble one with more brick and detail.

When 800 Bell was built, it was ten years before Humble changed its name to Exxon, so this was a humble building too.

Welton Becket and Associates was one of the world's largest architectural firms at that time, and practice made perfect in this case, infinite_jim.

what is so special about this building's design. like someone said, it looks like a radiator. Not attractive or noteworthy. Update it please!

It's special because it looks so different. Art is subjective. It was the tallest west of the Mississippi when completed, it is a historical Houston structure. What is so special about erasing history?

Also, refer to this post http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/11598-exxon-building-800-bell-st/?p=249990

Edit: Although I would like to point out he is wrong that the building stood higher in ranking back in 1963, the Texas Commerce Tower was the 6th Tallest Buildling in the world when it was completed in 1982. 800 Bell was #27th in 1963.

Edited by Montrose1100
  • Like 2

what is so special about this building's design. like someone said, it looks like a radiator. Not attractive or noteworthy. Update it please!

It's a classic mid-century design. This style has actually come back into fashion. I used to walk by this building daily. I think it's the best looking building downtown.

• Like 3

honestly im thrilled they are renovating the older buildings on the south side of downtown. we used to always get so much hate about our "boring beige boxy buildings", so its nice to see that slowly changing. i do feel for the people who liked the old design, but i appreciate the fact they tried to reuse some of the old design features.

For me, the differences in opinion on how this building looks is interesting.  I watched it being built, and its always reminded me of a stack of razor blades.  I.e., I never liked it.

While I don't expect the re-do to work a miracle, I hope they tone down the shade-giving metal flaps and use some kind of tinted glass instead.

For me, the differences in opinion on how this building looks is interesting. I watched it being built, and its always reminded me of a stack of razor blades. I.e., I never liked it.

While I don't expect the re-do to work a miracle, I hope they tone down the shade-giving metal flaps and use some kind of tinted glass instead.

I'm sure they actually give shade though. The mini shade blades on these newer buildings probably give hardly any shade inside.

For me, the differences in opinion on how this building looks is interesting. I watched it being built, and its always reminded me of a stack of razor blades. I.e., I never liked it.

I'm sure they actually give shade though. The mini shade blades on these newer buildings probably give hardly any shade inside.

I agree with the first thing you said but def not the second.

I was certainly speculating. I take it they actually make an impact? Good to hear. I thought they were more faux green.

I should clarify. I agree with this, "I'm sure they actually give shade though. The mini shade blades on these newer buildings probably give hardly any shade inside."

But I disagree with what you said next. ;)

I don't have any blog, but I was working on a holiday essay to figure out why so many people who are serious about telling the truth in life experience are not attracted to theistic spirituality, and I've just been studying Art in Crisis, or The Lost Center, (1948), where I found a discussion of the dis-integration of culture with Christian life.  There I have also found the following 1933 forerunner, never actually built, of the Humble Building.

http://books.google.com/books?id=iZuXgQkwrIcC&pg=PA108-IA1&dq=%22art+in+crisis%22+brise+soleil&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jfzWUYqOE9O34AOs94DAAw&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22art%20in%20crisis%22%20brise%20soleil&f=false

It summarizes the post Montrose1100 linked to answer scarface:  the architecture of constant overhangs acted as a kind of venetian blind, to make "buildings of glass and metal habitable in the south for the first time." 

• Like 1