Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

Jax's shot puts into perspective the relatively minimal impact DT has on Houston's skyline.

well, at least its adding density to the skyline. And once Embassy Suites is completed, i want a before & after shot of Downtown. ( from the area's around DG, and from Jax's skyline shots)

Edited by citizen4rmptown

I'll see if I can find one. You can definitely find some shots from the very beginning on the 1 park place construction here on HAIF.

I agree that the added density looks good, but it's not like adding a new Chase Tower (obviously).

Here's a photo from May 2007 without the two new buildings in the skyline.

img3574uv.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There has been some speculation in the past about whether Hess (nee Discovery) Tower would be connected to the downtown skywalk/tunnel system, and if connected, would it be through 5 Houston Center or One Park Place.

I was riding bike around downtown today and it is now pretty clear that Hess Tower will indeed be connected via skywalk through 5 Houston Center. Sorry, I have no pic. 5 Houston Center has a hole cut in its side directly opposite a spot in Hess Tower that has a sky-walk-shaped opening in the facade.

Here are a number of photos I took this morning...

HT101909I.jpg

First steel components to help bridge the facade at a junction on the southwest side. If the renderings are correct, it should run up the height of the building and feed into an edge of the crown surrounding the turbines.

HT101909H.jpg

HT101909E.jpg

HT101909G.jpg

HT101909C.jpg

HT101909F.jpg

HT101909D.jpg

HT101909B.jpg

HT101909A.jpg

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 6

i now see the wisdom of designing One Park Place as a more stone that glass tower. Once the Hess Tower is completed its cladding will definately counter the surrounding buildings. i have changed my opinion and feel it was a good call to design OPP the way they did. Had it been more "glassy" i think asthetically, there would have been too much glass in that one area. i like the balance. Thoughts?

m. B)

i now see the wisdom of designing One Park Place as a more stone that glass tower. Once the Hess Tower is completed its cladding will definately counter the surrounding buildings. i have changed my opinion and feel it was a good call to design OPP the way they did. Had it been more "glassy" i think asthetically, there would have been too much glass in that one area. i like the balance. Thoughts?

m. B)

I've always like contrasting styles in a skyline.

But isn't Embassy Suites going to be more stone than glass? Would it then be too much stone as opposed to glass. Especially since they are all next to each other? Hmm.....But i like ES either way, just wish there was a better rendering.

AND thanks for the updates, all.

Edited by citizen4rmptown

m. B)

I agree... a lot of glass, to me, says office tower... OPP reminds me of something you would see in one of the older Northeast cities like Philly or NYC.

i think they might have put up the steel frames for the sky bridge this weekend. at least that is what it looks like from my window.

There has been some speculation in the past about whether Hess (nee Discovery) Tower would be connected to the downtown skywalk/tunnel system, and if connected, would it be through 5 Houston Center or One Park Place.

I was riding bike around downtown today and it is now pretty clear that Hess Tower will indeed be connected via skywalk through 5 Houston Center. Sorry, I have no pic. 5 Houston Center has a hole cut in its side directly opposite a spot in Hess Tower that has a sky-walk-shaped opening in the facade.

^^^^

Can someone please snap some shots , next time around. They would be greatly appreciated.

Also, i think this is a good thing and a bad thing. I mean the skywalk/tunnel system hasn't had any updated additions in a long time. So this is a good for the office workers, and skywalks just look cool in downtowncool.gif

But, i was hoping, over a period of time, that more and more people would stop using the tunnel system, and thus, increase pedestrian activity. Which is why updated access to this system, wont help the "cause".

But, i should know that you cant force people to stop using the tunnel system. Hopefully, the skywalk looks modern, and at this point, what other design would fit this building.

Awesome photo Jax! Your flickr account had me thinking you had left Houston. And might I say, Fulbright looks the best from this angle.

Nope just been traveling a bit more than usual. I was in Ireland for a week to visit my sister and Pittsburgh at a conference with Rice. I'll be in Houston for a long time and I'll keep contributing construction photos while I can.