Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

This makes me lose faith in our developers and engineers who can't fasten turbines to a building so that they won't fall during normal operation.  Now them falling off due to a hurricane is understandable and acceptable, but on a typical windy day?  We've tackled much greater challenges than this, this is just pathetic in my opinion.

• Like 3

in this particular instance, it was the turbine that had a catastrophic failure. it wasn't that it wasn't attached to the building properly, but lousy design of the turbines themselves.

i wish they'd find a way to engineer them properly so they could be reinstalled.

• Like 3

This makes me lose faith in our developers and engineers who can't fasten turbines to a building so that they won't fall during normal operation.  Now them falling off due to a hurricane is understandable and acceptable, but on a typical windy day?  We've tackled much greater challenges than this, this is just pathetic in my opinion.

I'm sure they could be engineered to not fail. There is no reason to spend the money required to do that. Wind turbines like this were just a stupid stunt designed to impress the gullible.

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Great photo!

I remember walking across this lot when it was still used for parking and had just been roped off. One Park Place was only a few stories high and Discovery Green was still under construction. During the last boom, I tended to follow this tower the closest since it was terribly easy to shoot down into the pit from the sidewalk and just watch everything come together. Even easier once the park had opened and the building had started to gain height.

While it isn't the tallest or most spectacular, and the turbines were less than successful, it's still a nice structure. Generally quite pleased with how it turned out.

• Like 1

Great photo!

I remember walking across this lot when it was still used for parking and had just been roped off. One Park Place was only a few stories high and Discovery Green was still under construction. During the last boom, I tended to follow this tower the closest since it was terribly easy to shoot down into the pit from the sidewalk and just watch everything come together. Even easier once the park had opened and the building had started to gain height.

While it isn't the tallest or most spectacular, and the turbines were less than successful, it's still a nice structure. Generally quite pleased with how it turned out.

I still think about the wind turbines not being there but honestly, even at its height, it's a great tower. The lighting effects at night are what make this tower stand out. Right now it glows a large pink hue (for Breast Cancer Awareness Month) that can be seen from many miles away.
  • Like 3

I still think about the wind turbines not being there but honestly, even at its height, it's a great tower. The lighting effects at night are what make this tower stand out. Right now it glows a large pink hue (for Breast Cancer Awareness Month) that can be seen from many miles away.

Speaking of lighting, can someone explain the flashing lights on some of the upper floors that occurs nightly?   Looks as if a fire alarm is going off...

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper In Downtown
  • The title was changed to Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, hindesky said:

Hopefully they stay at the Hess Tower.

"Chevron agreed to buy Hess for $53 billion, a deal aimed at boosting production growth as the U.S. oil industry bets on an enduring future for fossil fuels."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/chevron-hess-acquisition-guyana-oil-18441906.php

I wouldn't bet anything important on that. These mergers tend to reduce the back office headcount at the acquired company by 90 percent. I don't know if Hess has offshored a lot of jobs, but Chevron certainly has, and will replace US Hess folks with people in other countries that cost 25% of what Americans cost.

• Like 2