Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

Has anybody heard any additional info about this?

This is just a guess but I'm thinking they were just testing to make sure everything was in working order and then plan on putting them back in once Hess moves in. Hess is probably paying higher than average rent for this place and they want to use the turbines as a marketing/advertising tool once they move in. Maybe? I don't know...

Edited by DrLan34

Seems like a lot of trouble to remove them, although maybe it's not as difficult as it seems. They must have a plan in place for hurricanes, so I guess they would need to be easy enough to remove/store for temporary periods. When does Hess move in?

Seems like a lot of trouble to remove them, although maybe it's not as difficult as it seems. They must have a plan in place for hurricanes, so I guess they would need to be easy enough to remove/store for temporary periods. When does Hess move in?

June or July, I believe.

Has anybody heard any additional info about this?

I haven't heard anything about it, but if I had to speculate, it'd be that aerodynamic turbulence associated with the design of the tower (or other towers nearby) was exerting unforeseen loads beyond the design capabilities of the turbines.

One of the blades flew off and hit a car. If I had to bet, they are gone forever.

Funny how that wasn't reported in the news. The TV stations would have been all over it. How do you know?

If that is the case, then they weren't properly manufactured and had a weakness. Those things would have to stand much stronger winds, particularly since we are susceptible to hurricanes.

Furthermore - if you are Hess and your new headquarters just had a piece of a wind turbine fly off of it and hit something (and recognizing that the turbines produce less than 1% of the buildings energy), would you knowingly allow them to be put back onto the building you 100% occupy? The answer is probably no, because if it happens again and hurts someone, you have a major PR crisis on your hand.

They were very lucky it did not make the news (it hit a subcontractor's pickup, not a random passing vehicle). I've heard and confirmed this from multiple sources, all of whom have direct knowledge of the tenant and building.

What a load of B.S. This sounds like a complete lie to me. Another lonely cybergeek just looking for some much needed attention or something like that.

• Like 3

"I don't always post on HAIF, but when I do, I prefer apologies"

I'm sorry you don't know how to find links to back up what you say. I'm sorry I don't believe everything I read on the internet. And I'm really sorry that the defective turbine didn't land on your head. Just kidding.

I work for a local tv station here. I'm on it. I'll see what I can find out.

Hopefully they find a secure way to put the turbines back in... I fee like they set a new standard for buildings (at least in Houston)... those with moving parts, and those without.

Edited by DrLan34

Hopefully they find a secure way to put the turbines back in... I fee like they set a new standard for buildings (at least in Houston)... those with moving parts, and those without.

Perhaps someone should start a thread to promote buildings with moving parts, much as someone has for promoting downtown lighting. Therein, we can all find the courage to flush toilets on an excessive and unnecessary basis and contribute to ecological degradation.

• Like 1

Perhaps someone should start a thread to promote buildings with moving parts, much as someone has for promoting downtown lighting. Therein, we can all find the courage to flush toilets on an excessive and unnecessary basis and contribute to ecological degradation.

Sounds good but only for buildings with moving parts in Houston, otherwise I don't really care to comment.

Sounds good but only for buildings with moving parts in Houston, otherwise I don't really care to comment.

Let me put it another way for the humorless among us. If a building has a working toilet, then it will already have moving parts. Those parts, which move in a clockwise direction, provide a good rhetorical analog to my opinion of the moving parts that are the subject of this thread.

• Like 1

Let me put it another way for the humorless among us. If a building has a working toilet, then it will already have moving parts. Those parts, which move in a clockwise direction, provide a good rhetorical analog to my opinion of the moving parts that are the subject of this thread.

haha i think everyone already understood what you were saying....

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe so, but Hess' colors are green and white.

I had a close friend who worked for Hess at the time they moved into One Allen Center. They did the same thing with that move-in where the IT department moved in first while the rest of the build-out was going on. One day, John Hess and his entourage walked through for a tour and stated that the green color in the carpeting was not the correct Hess green. All of the carpet was subsequently ripped out and replaced. And one other quirky thing: employees were allowed to have one "tastefully framed" photograph of a family member on their desks, but wall calendars and other "clutter" was strictly prohibited. In the cubicles, the file cabinets had top doors that opened out over the top of the file cabinet so it would knock off any items that were placed up there.

But they did have a killer dining facility with all kinds of great food, including a grill where you could get chicken, hamburgers, or even mahi-mahi, a deli for sandwiches, gourmet entrees and soups, etc. And I think it was only like $3 per meal for employees. I guess if you can keep employees in the building for lunch, they'll have more time for work!

Edited by heights