Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

Finally! The first major important chink in the overhyped "Green Movement"! A massive blow to this trend. The LEED Gold Status should be ripped from the building as well now, drop it down to silver. All that expense and over design and promotion and "good intentions" for nothing. They could have saved millions and not endangered the citizens of the city by simply purchasing the buildings power from wind farms!

I had a close friend who worked for Hess at the time they moved into One Allen Center. They did the same thing with that move-in where the IT department moved in first while the rest of the build-out was going on. One day, John Hess and his entourage walked through for a tour and stated that the green color in the carpeting was not the correct Hess green. All of the carpet was subsequently ripped out and replaced. And one other quirky thing: employees were allowed to have one "tastefully framed" photograph of a family member on their desks, but wall calendars and other "clutter" was strictly prohibited. In the cubicles, the file cabinets had top doors that opened out over the top of the file cabinet so it would knock off any items that were placed up there.

But they did have a killer dining facility with all kinds of great food, including a grill where you could get chicken, hamburgers, or even mahi-mahi, a deli for sandwiches, gourmet entrees and soups, etc. And I think it was only like $3 per meal for employees. I guess if you can keep employees in the building for lunch, they'll have more time for work!

True at one time, but not today. Ties are no longer mandatory, casual dress now rules the roost. Clutter abounds depending on the individual and no one cares. The food is good, $2 for all u can eat breakfasts, $5 for all u can eat lunches. The new restaurant will be tricked out even more as far as lunches go. The green is a Hess color and has a specific RGB/CMYK combination and yes, John Hess is very picky about that and where it is displayed. Notice the NY Jets have the same color? Not coincidence. Hess used to own the Jets.

Yeah, originally, my browser at work didn't show any messages beyond 952. Made me look like an idiot. (Sigh).

His post was #966. It wasn't meant to make you look like an idiot, just to let you know that it was already posted by a different user.

Edited by fatesdisastr

His post was #966. It wasn't meant to make you look like an idiot, just to let you know that it was already posted by a different user.

I meant that the browser made me look like an idiot, not you. No harm, no foul. Just a technical glitch and possibly some inobservance on my part.

You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled program.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was talking to one of the contractors and he said they they do indeed plan on putting the turbines back in eventually. When I asked when, he said they are just trying to finish the building first so I don't have a timeline. Hopefully he is right.

Yeah, I'm sure it's last on their list now. Too bad it won't be in time for the final four (i'm assuming).

Also, there is another building, I believe in Shanghai that is going up that will have 40+ wind turbines, however I think they're enclosed and not visible.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is from wikipedia. Does anyone know if this is true/have details on this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hess_Tower

"The development also will feature two-stories of retail and restaurant space overlooking a landscaped arrival court and water garden, and a 10-story parking structure on the adjacent northern block. CB Richard Ellis, an affiliate of Trammell Crow, is responsible for marketing of the development."

• 2 months later...

Its pretty nice inside. Good views over Disco G from the main lobby. Folks are gradually moving in through August. Still construction going on though.

Any word/rumors about what happened with the wind turbines?

I've been looking all over the 'net for the information, but while I trust the explanation mentioned on HAIF, its always good to get additional verification.

I think its clear what happened to them in the past, but John Hess was adamant that they are to never return unless the builder can guarantee 100% this would never happen again. Last I heard, they are being re-engineered and will return, but I have nothing official, just whispers.

What a disappointment it would be if they didn't ever return. I think it is quite imperative that sometime in the next few years that they return. The building is quickly becoming an icon of south downtown and Houston's commitment to future renewable energy.

I think its clear what happened to them in the past, but John Hess was adamant that they are to never return unless the builder can guarantee 100% this would never happen again. Last I heard, they are being re-engineered and will return, but I have nothing official, just whispers.

Safety aside, I also wonder about the noise and vibration that is transmitted to the top floor of the building. When those turbines get going, they get LOUD.

• 4 weeks later...

Something is different, there's a stripe (shadow) across the middle. I didn't bring my glasses-for-distance today. What's his name Hess was quoted saying that unless they could guarantee 100% that it would not happen again, they would not be reinstalled. Maybe they found a gaping defect or installation error on the previous one that failed.

• Like 1

Something is different, there's a stripe (shadow) across the middle. I didn't bring my glasses-for-distance today. What's his name Hess was quoted saying that unless they could guarantee 100% that it would not happen again, they would not be reinstalled. Maybe they found a gaping defect or installation error on the previous one that failed.

The problem with his qualifier is that NOTHING is ever 100%. It irritates me that he made such a statement, what happens if they fail again because of weather or a hidden manufacturing defect a couple of years down the line?

• Like 1

what happens if they fail again because of weather or a hidden manufacturing defect a couple of years down the line?

Then they dont get put back up. Not sure what the big deal is about it. If my name was on such a liability I'd make the same decision as would you. The blades were rated to withstand very heavy wind gusts. They came down in 40mph winds, something Houston sees quite regularly. Hess is leasing the building, so if it goes back up I'm sure the lawyers will be explicitly taking note of who will be to blame should this happen again.

• Like 1

Then they dont get put back up. Not sure what the big deal is about it. If my name was on such a liability I'd make the same decision as would you. The blades were rated to withstand very heavy wind gusts. They came down in 40mph winds, something Houston sees quite regularly. Hess is leasing the building, so if it goes back up I'm sure the lawyers will be explicitly taking note of who will be to blame should this happen again.

Obviously nobody knows what will happen before it happens so the 100% thing makes no sense. If he had meant it like that he would have flat out said that they weren't going back up.

Things like this have been done before and it's definitely possible to build turbines that can withstand the kind of wind we get here so I think we'll see them up again at some point, but obviously we're all just speculating here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm sure this discussion can probably be moved to somewhere else but since this is the only thread about Hess Tower, are they ever bringing the turbines back? Would be cool to have before the Superbowl begins.

http://swamplot.com/pieces-of-wind-turbine-fall-onto-street-from-top-of-hess-tower-downtown-blades-on-lockdown/2011-01-13/

• Like 1

I'm sure this discussion can probably be moved to somewhere else but since this is the only thread about Hess Tower, are they ever bringing the turbines back? Would be cool to have before the Superbowl begins.

http://swamplot.com/pieces-of-wind-turbine-fall-onto-street-from-top-of-hess-tower-downtown-blades-on-lockdown/2011-01-13/

They are NEVER bringing the turbines back.

They tried to do something a little different but the turbines proved to have a malfunction and presented a HUGE risk to the developer. The small reward, in aesthetics, is not worth the risk...especially if that risk turns out to be catastrophic (which it almost was). They are never coming back....that ship has sailed a long time ago.

• Like 1