Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

I just downloaded hess tower and mainplace on google earth and thought you guys would want to see a new perspective on these towers.

Very nice, thanks. It seems Minute Maid will have a very good view of MainPlace.

They finished pouring floor 19 this morning. The concrete pumper thingy was repositioned and getting ready for floor 20. They've also put some glass on some lower floors of the north side.

Jax, if that was taken Saturday and that floor was completed yesterday morning, that shows how fast they are moving on this thing. Much of the vertical rebar is up for the floor above the top floor in the picture.

Here are some photos from today, now between the 20th & 21st floors

DSC05029.jpg

Perspective from The Lake House at Discovery Green

DSC05020.jpg

DSC05023.jpg

DSC05022.jpg

Porte-cochere

DSC05026.jpg

These are actually from a week or two back, but they should give you an idea about how the facade will appear on the east side

DSC04839.jpg

DSC04842.jpg

Edited by ChannelTwoNews

May have missed a previous conversation about this, but why has this thread not been renamed "Hess Tower" ?

Cause that name blows?

Why not just call it Hess Discovery Tower?

1000 times better, and actually a fantastic branding opportunity for Hess IMO.

To associate Hess with theme of "discovery" etc...and to the park itself....good PR / sponsor park events etc...

Cause that name blows?

Why not just call it Hess Discovery Tower?

1000 times better, and actually a fantastic branding opportunity for Hess IMO.

To associate Hess with theme of "discovery" etc...and to the park itself....good PR / sponsor park events etc...

Ignoramus, I asked why the thread had not been renamed Hess Tower yet as Hess negotiated THAT NAME. NO ONE CARES what you think it should be, got it?

'Save the day' and go beg Hess and T.Crow to reconsider/renegotiate on your own time since you are such a savvy marketer. Until then, does anyone with a brain know why this thread has not been renamed that. Even if the name could be "1000 times better" being something else.

Whoa JWW, take a chill pill! Attacking him for his opinion, and misunderstanding your question is wrong on so many levels. Personally I think the name Hess Discovery Tower does sounds better based on its location, but that's just my opinion too. Extra dollars get spent on Extra letters, so I can understand why the owner would totally throw that opinion out the window and just name the building he is moving into what he pleases.

In response to your question, I haven't seen any posts by the mods in this thread, so perhaps they aren't looking at this thread as often to know to make the change. I'm sure if they were they would certainly remind you not to call your fellow Haif'ers Ignoramuses based on an opinion. I'm sure a simple PM to one of them would clear the need for renaming the thread right up, if you feel the thread title has become outdated or inaccurate. I'm gonna request right now that when the title gets changed that for familiarity's sake the mods add a thread description stating: "Formerly known as Discovery Tower". Thank you drive thru.

May have missed a previous conversation about this, but why has this thread not been renamed "Hess Tower" ?
Whoa JWW, take a chill pill! Attacking him for his opinion, and misunderstanding your question is wrong on so many levels. Personally I think the name Hess Discovery Tower does sounds better based on its location, but that's just my opinion too. Extra dollars get spent on Extra letters, so I can understand why the owner would totally throw that opinion out the window and just name the building he is moving into what he pleases.

In response to your question, I haven't seen any posts by the mods in this thread, so perhaps they aren't looking at this thread as often to know to make the change. I'm sure if they were they would certainly remind you not to call your fellow Haif'ers Ignoramuses based on an opinion. I'm sure a simple PM to one of them would clear the need for renaming the thread right up, if you feel the thread title has become outdated or inaccurate. I'm gonna request right now that when the title gets changed that for familiarity's sake the mods add a thread description stating: "Formerly known as Discovery Tower". Thank you drive thru.

Geoff, "attacking him for his opinion, and misunderstanding your question" is "wrong on so many levels" ??? Do I even respond to that? I do.not.care.what.anyone.thinks.it.should.be. Hess will not be owning the building, either, so that comment of yours made no sense.

"I'm sure if they were they would certainly remind you not to call your fellow..." - Thank you for projecting an opinion for a moderator, but, again, I could not care less what you think. In case you need it explained to you, I did not call a "fellow Haif'er" an ingnoramus due to his opinion ; I called him an ignoramus because he is not answering the question and is repeating the hackneyed waste of time of throwing out an opinion of the name of a project when that had nothing to do with my question. Stop wasting people's time by giving an extraneous answer that does not answer the question. That's the moral of this story.

Geoff, "attacking him for his opinion, and misunderstanding your question" is "wrong on so many levels" ??? Do I even respond to that? I do.not.care.what.anyone.thinks.it.should.be. Hess will not be owning the building, either, so that comment of yours made no sense.

"I'm sure if they were they would certainly remind you not to call your fellow..." - Thank you for projecting an opinion for a moderator, but, again, I could not care less what you think. In case you need it explained to you, I did not call a "fellow Haif'er" an ingnoramus due to his opinion ; I called him an ignoramus because he is not answering the question and is repeating the hackneyed waste of time of throwing out an opinion of the name of a project when that had nothing to do with my question. Stop wasting people's time by giving an extraneous answer that does not answer the question. That's the moral of this story.

Whatever pal. You need to step off. I don't have to answer your question. I posted some thoughts on this thread on the naming of this building and if I want to do that I will, at any time.

Your over the top response to my harmless musings was rude and offensive, but lets just leave it at that as I've better things to do than go back and forth on this.

Good evening.

Your frustrations are noted, however, the main reason I jumped in was because there are a lot of Guests who see these new projects going up, and in searching for information about them they find their way to these forums. Many of them see replies worded such as yours and rethink any prior thoughts about joining the forum. We lose potential contributing members, as well as develop a reputation as not being a friendly forum. Whether you don't care or do, That's the other moral of the story.

And in referring to Hess as the buildings owner was a brain flub on my part. I meant the leasing tenant of the building.

I think our points are made and this thread can get back on topic. If you want the last word on the matter you can have it.

Whatever pal. You need to step off. I don't have to answer your question. I posted some thoughts on this thread on the naming of this building and if I want to do that I will, at any time.

Your over the top response to my harmless musings was rude and offensive, but lets just leave it at that as I've better things to do than go back and forth on this.

Good evening.

Your frustrations are noted, however, the main reason I jumped in was because there are a lot of Guests who see these new projects going up, and in searching for information about them they find their way to these forums. Many of them see replies worded such as yours and rethink any prior thoughts about joining the forum. We lose potential contributing members, as well as develop a reputation as not being a friendly forum. Whether you don't care or do, That's the other moral of the story.

And in referring to Hess as the buildings owner was a brain flub on my part. I meant the leasing tenant of the building.

I think our points are made and this thread can get back on topic. If you want the last word on the matter you can have it.

So, does anyone who is not an invalid know why this thread is not named 'Hess Tower' currently? Same simple question...

Also, on the commercial real estate leasing side, how much effect on this project's comps was made due to the single-tenant leasing deal to Hess here? Did prices rise much (any)??

...probably b/c the thread creator, ethanra, hasn't changed it, and the mods tend to leave thread titles alone.

Thank you, Lockmat...

Is Hess Tower the official name? Or is it Discovery Tower that just happens to be leased out by Hess? How does the naming thing work?

As far as I have read, 'Hess Tower' will be the official name of the building. I'd really like to have a discussion on the Development and Real Estate thread about this to get other HAIF readers into that conversation - I'm interested to learn specifics and common prices on naming rights.

From my understanding, if someone signs up for a significant portion of the building, they might negotiate to rename the building.

Sorta' like Heritage tower was "Texaco Heritage Tower" at one point.

I would assume someone/some entity could have a building named after him/it just by paying a fee (not sure what the title is for "naming fee") and not even be a tenant of the building....probably unlikely but I would think there is a certain price that a party pays to advertise whatever name they choose. Anyone remember the price/deal AIG paid for the name/signage rights on the high rise on Allen Parkway?

So, does anyone who is not an invalid know why this thread is not named 'Hess Tower' currently? Same simple question...

Also, on the commercial real estate leasing side, how much effect on this project's comps was made due to the single-tenant leasing deal to Hess here? Did prices rise much (any)??

Hess hadn't leased it when the thread was first started and most folks that were active on this thread probably still don't realize that the tower's name is going to be tied to Hess.

I'm willing to bet that Hess received a discounted rent on a square foot basis for having taken the whole building, making the terms of this lease incomparable to the terms offered for other multi-tenant office buildings nearby. Leasing activity downtown has turned sour, and already had been going that direction at the time that the Hess lease was signed. Also, Hess will be relocating from other downtown locations into its new tower, so the net impact on absorption won't ultimately be earth-shattering.

I would assume someone/some entity could have a building named after him/it just by paying a fee (not sure what the title is for "naming fee") and not even be a tenant of the building....probably unlikely but I would think there is a certain price that a party pays to advertise whatever name they choose. Anyone remember the price/deal AIG paid for the name/signage rights on the high rise on Allen Parkway?

Aside from stadia, I'm not especially familiar with any deals where corporations have ever desired to put their logo on a building that they don't occupy. It would seem to me like they would only create confusion and also as though it wouldn't generate as much bang for the buck as traditional outdoor advertising.

The terms for naming rights are pretty fluid. Sometimes a building owner will offer naming rights for free to a tenant whose lease is coming up during a down market as an incentive to keep them from looking for cheaper space elsewhere. Sometimes a big tenant will demand naming rights as part of the deal as an up-front concession. Other times, naming rights are sold off, either to the high bidder or as a hybridized source of cash flow but also as a tenant retention strategy. You might talk to an office broker if you're seeking detailed anecdotes, but I've heard of all kinds of situations coming up.

Looks like they finished another floor today. I can't remember, that's either 20 or 21.

I know a lucky person who will be moving into this building whenever it's finished, WTH it's called.

Hess hadn't leased it when the thread was first started and most folks that were active on this thread probably still don't realize that the tower's name is going to be tied to Hess.

I'm willing to bet that Hess received a discounted rent on a square foot basis for having taken the whole building, making the terms of this lease incomparable to the terms offered for other multi-tenant office buildings nearby. Leasing activity downtown has turned sour, and already had been going that direction at the time that the Hess lease was signed. Also, Hess will be relocating from other downtown locations into its new tower, so the net impact on absorption won't ultimately be earth-shattering.

I would bet, as well, that Hess received discounted rent for becoming a single tenant. I agree that the terms of that lease, if the discount went down as we both believe, would make this project incomparable; I am just wondering about other class A rent per foot VERY nearby the discovery green after this deal was signed. You are right about little impact on absorption in the central business district (I think Hess moved from 5 Allen? And added between 100,000 and 200,000 sq ft to their offices with this deal?), so I guess I would be referring to comps solely in eastern downtown.

Aside from stadia, I'm not especially familiar with any deals where corporations have ever desired to put their logo on a building that they don't occupy. It would seem to me like they would only create confusion and also as though it wouldn't generate as much bang for the buck as traditional outdoor advertising.

The terms for naming rights are pretty fluid. Sometimes a building owner will offer naming rights for free to a tenant whose lease is coming up during a down market as an incentive to keep them from looking for cheaper space elsewhere. Sometimes a big tenant will demand naming rights as part of the deal as an up-front concession. Other times, naming rights are sold off, either to the high bidder or as a hybridized source of cash flow but also as a tenant retention strategy. You might talk to an office broker if you're seeking detailed anecdotes, but I've heard of all kinds of situations coming up.

I'd love to find examples outside of sports arenas ("stadia") where non-tenants buy name rights - I will post this on the Development and Real Estate Thread. I am sure, as I bet you are, as well, that companies would definitely do it if the price were "right"..but, as with most things, it's just finding that right price. Google would definitely love to slap their name on Williams Tower for $1mm, etc.