Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw the funniest thing just now at Discovery Tower...

My office faces the park and Discovery Tower. I happen to look up from my desk and out the window and I see two guys playing swords with 2x4's (I kind of chuckled wishing I was out there doing that too). Here is the kicker... they are on the 18th floor and very close to the edge (I am sure they were tethered to something, but damn).

I saw the funniest thing just now at Discovery Tower...

My office faces the park and Discovery Tower. I happen to look up from my desk and out the window and I see two guys playing swords with 2x4's (I kind of chuckled wishing I was out there doing that too). Here is the kicker... they are on the 18th floor and very close to the edge (I am sure they were tethered to something, but damn).

That is too funny... just goes to show you that even though we grow up there is still always a kid inside of us. :D

i don't know if its been mentioned before, but i know that i tried to google discovery tower , and it would never have its own website.

Well it does now...

http://www.discoverytowerhouston.com/

It has been mentioned.

Well I was in DT yesterday and took pics of Discovery tower, unforunaetly I did'nt have time to take pics of other projects u/c in DT.

dtmt4-09104.jpg

Parking garage, crrently on the 1st floor.

dtmt4-09105.jpg

dtmt4-09123.jpg

Oh, I almost forgot about the Glass. ;) (on the left)

dtmt4-09111.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice photos.

I'm still not crazy about Hess Tower as the name. Hess Discovery Tower would have been so much better as a final compromised result. Still there's time for minor details like that to be worked out.

Is this building still LEED Silver? I think I recall hearing somewhere it was bumped up to Gold and higher, or am I imagining things?

Edited by Geoff8201

It looks like they completed another floor today. Anybody know what floor they're up to now? They are moving really fast. Look at the picture taken on the 20th. That floor appears to be completed just this afternoon (from my vantage point).

Duh, I just counted floors from the photo. 18 complete, going on 19. 13 more floors, plus the turbines - sweet. I calculate that it'll be about 10ft shorter than OPP.

Edited by rsb320

I noticed last night on my way home from work that they started putting the glass cladding on the building. One floor has gotten the glass installed.

I posted this question before on the Development and Real Estate thread, but apparently the moderators have decided to remove that thread from "Going Up" as ridiculous as that is.... so I'll ask it only to people who happen to read this thread - Does anyone have suggestions or answers why glass curtain facades are hung at different times in different construction sites? Sometimes after a building is topped off, sometimes when the building is only half its final height, etc. In fact, please let that question apply to any facade, not just glass.

I posted this question before on the Development and Real Estate thread, but apparently the moderators have decided to remove that thread from "Going Up" as ridiculous as that is.... so I'll ask it only to people who happen to read this thread - Does anyone have suggestions or answers why glass curtain facades are hung at different times in different construction sites? Sometimes after a building is topped off, sometimes when the building is only half its final height, etc. In fact, please let that question apply to any facade, not just glass.

I would imagine it's different timing methods by different Contractors. Various factors may apply such as the glass (or whatever facade's) availability and contractor's availability to do the work. Typically I think in most cases they like to do the "heavy" construction first before adding a more fragile element like glass. Usually you will see at least a dozen floors built out before the exterior is even started. There's more timing issues with the building such as having the structural build out far enough ahead for the particular project so that the glass installers don't "catch up" and then have to wait on the builders while they twiddle their thumbs as the owners lose money. Also there's timing of all sub contractors working around each other. You have the structure going up, plumbing has to be ran, pipe's anchored to and running through the concrete. Telephone, Networking, and TV cable has to be ran, or at least conduit set to be fished through later. Electrical conduit has to be ran, bus bars extended, temporary work lighting installed... sometimes there can be too many cooks in the kitchen. Hope this gives you some ideas to answer your query.