The Heights: Multifamily At 1180 West 18th St.

Highrise Tower

1 hour ago, J Money said:

WOW! I've been waiting for that area to explode. There's so many large tracts that seem very underutilized, lots of potential around the 20th St bar district. Here's to hoping this is just the beginning.

Due to the flood plain issues, I think you'll actually see denser development in this area since you need to build on top of a garage. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hindesky said:

The Architects for this is Preston Partnership. They designed the Latitude in Med Center, The Treviso in The Woodlands, Remy on the Trails for McNair Interests and the not yet built Fitzroy in Midtown.

https://www.theprestonpartnership.com

kd9uHHO.png

SztzXwK.png

PRqQs39.png

jbbOh75.png

Two of the three are dead (Traviso and Fitzroy). They also were in charge of another project in Midtown but that too has gone silent.

’The Heights Multifamily’ will be the tallest in the area by floor count, possibly by height as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Triton said:

Hate to say it but no way there is not serious pushback, if not a lawsuit, against this development.

The pushback will be ignored, and I doubt there is basis for a lawsuit. The complaints about these sorts of development in this area are generally based on flooding potential, traffic, and "they will block my light". I always laugh at those since they come from people who bought a home that's either a townhouse or a detached townhouse that was built on what used to be a 10,000 sq ft lot with a 1200 sq ft house. Really? You are complaining about traffic and flooding potential when you live in a home that is part of a far worse development? As for light, Texas has no laws I am aware of that govern that.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

All these new high-rise apartments and offices going up all over the city in different neighborhoods I always wonder will there be enough demand to keep building more.

The area inside 610 saw almost 50,000 new residents between 2010 and 2020. A lot of people want to live in the Heights, so we'll probably keep seeing these built. 386 units is big, but not insane imho. 

This area wasn't able to bend city council on Dion Street Villas. I doubt that they'll be able to swap a private developer.

• Like 3

I'm excited to see what the protest signs will look like. The No Dian Street Villas signs were boring. The Stop Big Tex Storage signs were short-lived and mostly copied the Ashby Highrise signs. Fun, but not original. Hopefully we'll get something original and clever, but still artistic and tasteful.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ross said:

The pushback will be ignored, and I doubt there is basis for a lawsuit. The complaints about these sorts of development in this area are generally based on flooding potential, traffic, and "they will block my light". I always laugh at those since they come from people who bought a home that's either a townhouse or a detached townhouse that was built on what used to be a 10,000 sq ft lot with a 1200 sq ft house. Really? You are complaining about traffic and flooding potential when you live in a home that is part of a far worse development? As for light, Texas has no laws I am aware of that govern that.

I'm glad too. People complaining about their light being blocked need to move out of the city. The city isn't being built to meet your light needs, we're building to meet max density and land usage. There's a ton of light as you leave the city lol 

• Like 1

I wonder why Preston Partnership continues to use the Fitzroy as their main page and the Treviso on the "High Rise" section if they weren't built? Are they bad at picking and not vetting their developer partners or just unlucky? Maybe they use them to highlight what they can do with their designs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hindesky said:

I wonder why Preston Partnership continues to use the Fitzroy as their main page and the Treviso on the "High Rise" section if they weren't built? Are they bad at picking and not vetting their developer partners or just unlucky? Maybe they use them to highlight what they can do with their designs.

It highlights their designs. It not their fault the developers couldn't bring the buildings to fruition. They still did their job!

• Like 3

On 12/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, hindesky said:

As an architecture they own all copyrights to their designs whether they are realized or not, and so they can use those designs however they wish, and if they are good designs or it highlights what they can do for future clients then its reasonable to advertise using buildings that are "on the boards". For the Treviso and Fitzroy, honestly it just comes down to bad luck, and it happens. Covid effectively killed the Fitzroy, but I assume that something big will take up that spot in no time, and maybe the developer will still undertake it, who knows. The Treviso died when Anadarko merged with Oxy that effectively halted the momentum of The Woodlands, but again I only think its temporary. While both these projects may or may not ever get built they do highlight not only how the firm designs, but also what building types they can do, the types of clients they associate with, and the services they provide. All great stuff to highlight.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 5

I was curious about the population statistic and enjoy looking at census data. Taking "Heights" to mean the Greater Heights super neighborhood, as of 2020 the census tracts in this area had a total population of 48,077 and an average density of 6,510 /mi^2. Unfortunately I didn't easily find 2010 census data by tract and the population change shown in the interactive map is for the county.

Data was pulled from this 2020 Census interactive map and tabulated:

image.png.febbbfc0bf07c94b1c4c982d8eed20af.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what could be going up at the old Channel Track and Tubeway site?

They were temporarily leasing the land for construction parking while the Hines senior living project was being built. Construction is now complete, and all temporarily buildings and fences have been cleared.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1205-W-17th-St-Houston-TX/9574604/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mblue057 said:

Does anyone know what could be going up at the old Channel Track and Tubeway site?

They were temporarily leasing the land for construction parking while the Hines senior living project was being built. Construction is now complete, and all temporarily buildings and fences have been cleared.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1205-W-17th-St-Houston-TX/9574604/

13 story residential tower.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, Arboosto said:

I was curious about the population statistic and enjoy looking at census data. Taking "Heights" to mean the Greater Heights super neighborhood, as of 2020 the census tracts in this area had a total population of 48,077 and an average density of 6,510 /mi^2. Unfortunately I didn't easily find 2010 census data by tract and the population change shown in the interactive map is for the county.

Data was pulled from this 2020 Census interactive map and tabulated:

image.png.febbbfc0bf07c94b1c4c982d8eed20af.png

So it's double the city average at 3.5k psm which is basically LA type numbers. 

• Like 1

The LA Times has a really cool map of LA County density broken up by neighborhood and all the various cities and towns in the County. 

Koreatown, about two miles South of me, has over 42,000 per square mile. My hood, Los Feliz, is around 13,500.

• Like 4

Interesting. Definitely lower than I thought, though I wonder how much of that is due to water and industrial land. 

I'm pretty confident that Greater Heights (b/w the loop, 45, I-10, and White Oak Bayou) can and will hit 10,000 psm. North Main is the real missing piece - there need to start being some larger apartment buildings over there and up Airline. 

• Like 3