sevfiv

He said market concept, as in like a farmers market. Followed by a grocer..

Everything sounds fantastic actually.. So long as you're not expecting a bunch of grand towers then you shouldn't be let down. Anything is better than what the post office site currently is doing to interact with downtown.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying. This is what happens when I post before having my morning coffee. :-)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Interesting" doesn't necessarily translate to unanimous decision to me. I'm thinking this design will be controversial here, or many folks may be let down. Then again I'm probably reading too much into it hahahahah

The only way to get a unanimous decision on HAIF would be planning a 3 story stucco parking garage to replace a park. Other than that no one on here agrees on anything.  

• Like 2

To say that this forum will be disappointed sounds scary, since typically even when someone says we'll like it, it's often a crapshoot!

If people were disappointed with the nice glass tower that was Amegy's new headquarters, can't imagine how people will feel when there isn't a sea of highrises here.

• Like 4

Improving access to the bayou would be a big plus. I do not understand the phrase "market grocer." Does this refer to a mainline grocer such as HEB, Kroger, or Randall's? Or is there another type that Lovett is looking at?

If I had money to bet with, I'd bet Trader Joe's is what goes in.

• Like 3

You got a problem with my Audi? :unsure:

Meant to refer to the tendency of most new construction to cater to a luxurious lifestyle, and to have Audis in the renderings. With adaptive reuse you have the opportunity to involve a less well-heeled customer, since rents aren't so high. New construction necessitates high rents.

Meant to refer to the tendency of most new construction to cater to a luxurious lifestyle, and to have Audis in the renderings. With adaptive reuse you have the opportunity to involve a less well-heeled customer, since rents aren't so high. New construction necessitates high rents.

Well aware, I was just kidding. There does seem to be a stock photo of an audi inserted into almost every rendering on here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Texasota said:

Except it's not really all that busy, it's just absurdly wide.

I wonder if they could convince the city to put Franklin on a diet.

True.  The issue becomes that if a lot of commercial development occurs here and that development draws lots of cars (city center-esque) then there will be a lot more traffic on that wide road.   I am sure that bright designers will figure it out...... I hope.

I would not be surprised if Franklin went away.  Seems like the way to best integrate the site with everything is to get rid of the Franklin that exists now and run Washington Ave through the site to connect back up with Franklin at Lousiana/Smith intersection.  It would add commercial frontage to the development since they would have frontage on both sides of a Washington Ave ROW as opposed to only the north side of Franklin.  I would imagine that if Washington Ave could provide the same level of access as Franklin currently does, the city would be pleased to open Buffalo Bayou park and the pedestrian paths in that area up to the open sky, and those same paths could then be linked in with the post office site.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Right now Washington dead ends at a pedestrian tunnel under 45, but it certainly seems like it should be possible to re-establish its ROW there. Either way the site is much too large not to have an additional e-w street through it. 

From the looks of it, the Washington segment was closed because the clearance of the HOV lane is too low.

• 1 month later...