The Langley: Residential High-Rise At 1717 Bissonnet St.

musicman

I saw this site on Monday. Man, they clear cut the heck out of that lot. It's such a huge scar and in my mind shows just how much this tower will stand out. I know this isn't a popular opinion on this thread, but I just wish someone had the opportunity to build this in the two developers' neighborhood, but sadly they can't. The two guys live in The City of West University Place. Houston is just a place for them to make a buck.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The property values argument was a stupid one. Boulevard Oaks, Southampton, and Cresmere Place are all highly desirable neighborhoods with strict deed restrictions, active civic associations, and incredible locations. They aren't going to crash and burn.

That said, Nancy's photo spread of 7 "area" homes is stupid. Not sure why a house on Sunset Blvd. nearly a mile away from the proposed site has anything to do with her point, whatever said point may have been.

Small "n", so the 58% year-on-year increase isn't terribly reliable.

That said, not surprising.  There's a lot of money chasing not a lot of property in the best neighborhoods.

Also, this is a little like "prison populations are up, despite crime being down".  It gets the causation wrong.  Crime goes down when the criminals are in jail.  The article basically says that the area remains valuable despite a high rise going up.  But a high rise wouldn't be going up if the price per square foot of the dirt wasn't really high.

Funny, but the only house in Nancy's blog on the same street as the proposal is listed at $599,000. That's $360,000 less than the next cheapest house listed. Of course, the next cheapest house listed isn't even technically in Southampton since it's West of Greenbrier and in the shadows of Hanover's Rice Village Apartments.

I am not sure the list is making the point you think it is...

Funny, but the only house in Nancy's blog on the same street as the proposal is listed at $599,000. That's $360,000 less than the next cheapest house listed. Of course, the next cheapest house listed isn't even technically in Southampton since it's West of Greenbrier and in the shadows of Hanover's Rice Village Apartments.

I am not sure the list is making the point you think it is...

The point isn't what any individual house is being marketed for.  The point is that the average sale price is up 58% over one year ago in Boulevard Oaks, the highest increase of 18 high-end neighborhoods, and up 29% in Southampton.  And that the average sale time is 25 and 23 days, respectively "faster than many [other neighborhoods]".

Edited by Houston19514

The point isn't what any individual house is being marketed for. The point is that the average sale price is up 58% over one year ago in Boulevard Oaks, the highest increase of 18 high-end neighborhoods, and up 29% in Southampton. And that the average sale time is 25 and 23 days, respectively "faster than many [other neighborhoods]".

They'll claim that the towers arms do not reach Boulevard Oaks thus the reason for the increase in sale price.

post-11142-0-32784400-1379480968_thumb.j

Let's get real for a minute. Here's why prices are high in Southampton and Boulevard Oaks and have risen dramatically;

1) LOCATION. There are few better in the city. Literally minutes to the Med Center, Downtown, Uptown, and most major universities. Direct access to the city's premier park. 

2) Beauty. In a city that lacks beauty, this area has it. 100 year old live oaks. Tree-lined boulevards like Sunset, North, and South. Strict deed restrictions and a well cared for housing stock.

3) Amenities. Hermann Park. Rice University. The Rice Loop. Rice Village. Light Rail. Fleming Park. Museum District.

4) Schools. Poe, Lanier, and Lamar if you go the public route and multiple privates in the near vicinity.

5) The economy. Houston is booming. 

6) Demand. See #5. 

7) Supply. It's beyond low. 4 houses are for sale right now in Southampton proper. 

That is it. The tower has nothing to do with it nor do the yellow signs. And, if you are moronic enough to bypass a neighborhood because the neighbors are active participants in trying to shape its future and protect its past, then wow. Just wow.

• Like 4

Poe Elem is a really fantastic school (I'm biased) and has been for decades. For many of the reasons Kinkaid outlines above, the unique location of the neighborhood attracts professionals from all different sectors. Poe is also zoned to the some lower income housing on the other side of 59. I hope that is not what turned you off? West U Elem is also great, but each school has a very distinct culture.

Poe is a good school, and I agree that the reason it doesn't do better is the multi-family on the north side of 59.

But having ugly, arrogant signs in your yard for three years is a problem. It's like a house leaving up christmas decorations for three years, but it's an entire neighborhood. If you don't see that, wow. Just wow.

Poe is a good school, and I agree that the reason it doesn't do better is the multi-family on the north side of 59.

But having ugly, arrogant signs in your yard for three years is a problem. It's like a house leaving up christmas decorations for three years, but it's an entire neighborhood. If you don't see that, wow. Just wow.

I don't see what's arrogant about it either.  Don't their property rights include free expression?

The signs alone aren't arrogant. But i see them as representing arrogance because i associate them with the entire movement's attitude towards the development and the reasons it should be stopped. I'm not going to rehash the arguements on the previous 29 pages, but needless to say I don't support the stop Ashby highrise movement.

And regardless of how I view the signs, I stll can't imagine that people are in favor of yard signs up for three years and beyond. What purpose are they serving at this late date? Would you feel different if someone in the area put a rusty car on cinder blocks in the front yard and painted stop ashby highrise on the sides and left it there for three years?

And regardless of how I view the signs, I stll can't imagine that people are in favor of yard signs up for three years and beyond. What purpose are they serving at this late date? Would you feel different if someone in the area put a rusty car on cinder blocks in the front yard and painted stop ashby highrise on the sides and left it there for three years?

Htown has a good point here. They fought the battle and lost. It's time for the signs to come down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

1717 Bissonnet on hold, again. Judge denied the developers a request that would keep the plaintiffs from halting the project. The case now headed for a trial set to begin in November. The developers are still committed to the project.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Ashby-tower-plans-suffer-setback-4851467.php?cmpid=btfpm