Hess Tower: Office Skyscraper At 1501 McKinney St.

Ethanra

They could've created a foundation to buy poor people 400-watt residential turbines and that would've been a far more economical approach to being 'green', meaning that they could have simply saved money on the same effect or made the effect larger.

Either way, yeah. "Technically dumb."

Since when is Tramell Crow in the 'business' of helping poor people? If you think about it, it was a pretty smart move. I mean, the entire building is leased out to an energy company that is primarily oil and gas. I wonder if Hines is kicking theirselves for not making the jaws on the monkey wrench building not open and close by the forces of nature.

I can see the turbines from where I sit and they don't appear to be spinning today. I have noticed before, though, that they are more noticeable when the air is thick with humidity or if it's even raining. I looks similar to a mirage, etc. If you stare at them too long, I believe that they have a hypnotizing effect. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

In the future someone, not us!, will see a lot of buildings with Fan generated electricity. Things just may be so bad in available energy there won't be any choice but to use what you brought, and who knows in the future people may have to drastically cut back their use of electricity and the entire face of every city will not be lit as we now see it. Candle making may make a big come back, unless someone invents electricity.

In the future someone, not us!, will see a lot of buildings with Fan generated electricity. Things just may be so bad in available energy there won't be any choice but to use what you brought, and who knows in the future people may have to drastically cut back their use of electricity and the entire face of every city will not be lit as we now see it. Candle making may make a big come back, unless someone invents electricity.

Or hopefully, it will just make economic sense to make more buildings more energy efficient and new developments will incorporate more designs like this.

forgive, if this was mentioned earlier in the thread:

does anyone know if/what retail will be on the ground level?

No ground floor retail is what I've been told. I always thought that would be a good place for a patio pub, but not gonna happen.

No ground floor retail is what I've been told. I always thought that would be a good place for a patio pub, but not gonna happen.

how whack is that? no retail, restaurant, nothing?

I don't get it, this is a perfect opportunity to do something great. That location is prime for some ground retail or restaurant development. Right across the street from the Park! Why can't these companys do that in downtown Houston?

Denmark is leading the way in Turbine Powered Electricity Generation, they now have about 40 to 45 percent of their total electrical generation made from Turbines. South of El Paso about a hundred miles there are thousands of these generators erected along I10. When I drove to Nevada in 94 there were none, in 2005 I came back to Houston and was amazed when I saw these things at just early daylight in a light rain, they all had red beacons on top and the first thing that came to mind was Martians :P

This is Copenhagen Harbor, I animated it myself, kinda makes ya want to take a swim don't it... :)

2f04y6s.gif

• 1 month later...

Back to the ground floor retail issue, I heard the original plan was to lease out the ground floor as retail but then Hess leased out the whole building and they will now sublet the ground floor to retail of their choosing, when they choose to. Doubt there will be retail upon opening this summer, but hopefully sooner rather than later. My hopes for a nice pub/restaurant on that corner are not entirely dashed yet.

• 3 weeks later...