Third Coast Seafood At 2412 Washington Ave.

houstonray

You don't have to be the owner of a place to criticize it, especially in a country with free speech like this one. Your "it's popular therefore it's reasonable" is a logical fallacy known as argumentum ad populum. http://en.wikipedia....ntum_ad_populum

Argumentum ad populum does not apply here because we are talking about a sports bar, not a set of invalid beliefs, and the business will go out of business once the market decides that it is no longer reasonable. I didn't say it is reasonable, I said that the market would figure it out, and it will. The owners are taking a risk (that you are well within your rights to criticize) on creating an image that is not typical of sports bars. I'm just arguing economics, not beliefs.

Edited by curley1733

kylejack,

the Wikipedia link is off point. i will let the poster speak for him or herself, but a plain reading of the post indicates that the poster was just saying that if the market thinks a dress code is a bad idea at a sports bar, then this place will close (not that if the bar remains open it necessarily means that a dress code at a sports bar is correct).

Exactly and thank you.

How do you go out wearing shorts without pockets anyway? I don't carry much, but just the wallet and keys is more than I want to carry without pockets.

I'll wear shorts to happy hour or to a sports bar, but not athletic shorts. I guess I stopped doing that at a certain age, but I'm also older than the w-ave average bar-goer now so I don't count in the opinion polls.

kylejack,

while it is true that you don't have to be the owner of a place to criticize it, one’s criticism nevertheless should be warranted. if i went to a mexican restaurant and then flipped out because they didn't have italian food and went on to to tell everyone that i'm embarrassed to have such a mexican restaurant in my city and please spread the word--no one go there, then my criticism would be unreasonable. If i didn’t know it was a Mexican restaurant—that’s on me.

It is a sports bar that doesn't allow basketball shorts. It is patently absurd.

and while hole in the walls are fun sports bar, i think you can have a dress code and still call yourself a sports bar.

Sure you can. Hell, you don't even have to show sports on TV and call yourself a sports bar. It's a free country! Likely take some deserved criticism, however.

I think it is just silly to do it, it makes no sense to me. A sports bar with a dress code and valet. It just sounds off.

What's next on the list of silly bar concepts? An upscale ice house?

Anyone have any seed money for me? I'll open the worlds first upscale ice house. In addition to a dress code and a valet, I'll also charge a cover.

It won't be more than any other ice house, a shack with a sloppy paint job, a trough filled with ice, some picnic tables and a dirty bathroom, but we can charge $5 for pearl in a can and play Lady Gaga on the radio!

Oh man, this is gonna be sweet.

I think it is just silly to do it, it makes no sense to me. A sports bar with a dress code and valet. It just sounds off.

What's next on the list of silly bar concepts? An upscale ice house?

Anyone have any seed money for me? I'll open the worlds first upscale ice house. In addition to a dress code and a valet, I'll also charge a cover.

It won't be more than any other ice house, a shack with a sloppy paint job, a trough filled with ice, some picnic tables and a dirty bathroom, but we can charge $5 for pearl in a can and play Lady Gaga on the radio!

Oh man, this is gonna be sweet.

Too late, already been done. Check out Pearl Bar.

Too late, already been done. Check out Pearl Bar.

Haha, true enough. Giggling right now.

Look I'm not saying they're not seeing some success...but let's wait and see if it is sustainable. The thing about some of these bombastically popular places is that it is sometimes short-lived.

It is actually a gut cinch that this place goes under. It is even designed to go under. They open with a splash, rake in the cash from the see and be seen crowd, and once they move on, shut down and re-tool. This happens in every trendy club. The only questions are what date does it close and what does it become.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Anyone have any recommendations for a no-dress-code, veggie friendly sports bar? Location not a biggie. My partner is a Steelers fan and we're also entertaining an out of town guest who happens to be a vegetarian yoga teacher.

Onion Creek on White Oak is your best bet. Several veggie dishes on their menu. Not a hard core sports bar, but plenty of TVs will be playing the game. Great beer selection and generally free of Washington Ave douchyness.

Anyone have any recommendations for a no-dress-code, veggie friendly sports bar? Location not a biggie. My partner is a Steelers fan and we're also entertaining an out of town guest who happens to be a vegetarian yoga teacher.

"The Counter" has an awesome Veggie burger. Vegetarian Yoga Teacher can even add sprouts, greens, carrot strings, feta cheese and all the other healthy stuff... Enjoy!!!

If you actually plan on watching the football game, which I suspect you are, since you mentioned your friend is a Steelers fan, Onion Creek is probably the WORST place to go. They have maybe a couple of TVs, and last time I was there the sound is turned down in favor of music. If you must patronize one of the Creeks, go to Cedar Creek, which actually DOES have plenty of TVs. They have just as many veggie items as Onion Creek, which is to say, not that many, but tolerable.

I am not sure how I feel about distillary 25 25 yet ( houston ave and white oak), but I do remember some kind of Veggie thing on the menu and you will be overwhelmed with wall to wall TV's.

I am not sure how I feel about distillary 25 25 yet ( houston ave and white oak), but I do remember some kind of Veggie thing on the menu and you will be overwhelmed with wall to wall TV's.

Thanks for the tip however we were told by the young waitress that they had no vegetarian food. We got there 1.5 hours before the 3:30 game today and the place was dead. We did like the TVs everywhere and they said they'd be turning the music off and the TV sound on once the game started, but with no eats we split for RedScare's suggestion, Cedar Creek. We passed Onion Creek on the way and decided to check it out and ended up staying as the menu had a few good items. The vibe was relaxed, the temp inside perfect, the prices acceptable. The TVs were silent though, so we focused on the visual only which allowed more chance for conversation.

Too bad the Steeler fan wanted to leave at halftime with Baltimore dominating 21-7. Great idea... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip however we were told by the young waitress that they had no vegetarian food. We got there 1.5 hours before the 3:30 game today and the place was dead. We did like the TVs everywhere and they said they'd be turning the music off and the TV sound on once the game started, but with no eats we split for RedScare's suggestion, Cedar Creek. We passed Onion Creek on the way and decided to check it out and ended up staying as the menu had a few good items. The vibe was relaxed, the temp inside perfect, the prices acceptable. The TVs were silent though, so we focused on the visual only which allowed more chance for conversation.

Too bad the Steeler fan wanted to leave at halftime with Baltimore dominating 21-7. Great idea... :rolleyes:

sorry for misleading you on the veg part, I still swear I saw something but I was wrong. In hindsight, King Bisuit (within sight of houston ave at white oak) could have been a good alternative too, I know they have a veg black bean burger.

• 3 months later...

One man wounded in shooting at Sawyer Park Sports Bar on Washington (Dale Lezon, HOUSTON CHRONICLE, May 6, 2011)

One man was wounded and another was arrested after a shooting outside a sports bar near downtown early this morning. The shooting occurred outside Sawyer Park at 2412 Washington near Sawyer about 2:20 a.m. Friday, according to the Houston Police Department. Police said the victim, whose name has not been released, was rushed to Ben Taub General Hospital. He had been shot several times. Police did not release his condition. Two off-duty police officers working security at the bar took the suspect into custody. Police said the two men had been inside the bar and then had a confrontation when they left. They were arguing while they stood in Sawyer and the suspect pulled out a gun and fired several times, police said.

Hope they close this bar down or the management is forced to change the way they do business. Right now it just spells more and more trouble for our neighborhood.

• Like 1

It is actually a gut cinch that this place goes under. It is even designed to go under. They open with a splash, rake in the cash from the see and be seen crowd, and once they move on, shut down and re-tool. This happens in every trendy club. The only questions are what date does it close and what does it become.

One man wounded in shooting at Sawyer Park Sports Bar - Washington Avenue

(Dale Lezon, HOUSTON CHRONICLE, May 6, 2011)

One man was wounded and another was arrested after a shooting outside a sports bar near downtown early this morning. The shooting occurred outside Sawyer Park at 2412 Washington near Sawyer about 2:20 a.m. Friday, according to the Houston Police Department. Police said the victim, whose name has not been released, was rushed to Ben Taub General Hospital. He had been shot several times. Police did not release his condition. Two off-duty police officers working security at the bar took the suspect into custody. Police said the two men had been inside the bar and then had a confrontation when they left. They were arguing while they stood in Sawyer and the suspect pulled out a gun and fired several times, police said.

I'd be surprised to find out any one is surprised by this. I rarely venture down the west side of Washington after dinner time so I don't have to see it but on the sleepier side of Washington, this place sticks out like a shore, shiny, cheesy thumb.

...And the process of Washington Avenue turning into Main Street begins. I think I can hear the popped collars flapping in the wind as they run to the next "hot" spot.

Send them north, or west, or south. Please DO NOT let them come east!

• Like 2

One man wounded in shooting at Sawyer Park Sports Bar on Washington (Dale Lezon, HOUSTON CHRONICLE, May 6, 2011)

Hope they close this bar down or the management is forced to change the way they do business. Right now it just spells more and more trouble for our neighborhood.

Aha! That's why the police helicopter was flying around last night. It woke me up.

One man wounded in shooting at Sawyer Park Sports Bar - Washington Avenue

(Dale Lezon, HOUSTON CHRONICLE, May 6, 2011)

So I take it the guy that got shot had a bad experience? He might not be back....for awhile....with his friend.