Huh? I mean the new veterans housing going in at the 2 story building across Main from Wheeler Station. They're eveb adding a 3rd floor. Could of made for some neat studios/lofts with ground floor gallery/work space or something but alas the demographic seems destined to remain crappy around that area for the near future..

• Like 2

Agreed. And I've noticed METRO owns a decent bit of property on both sides of 59 around Wheeler Station. I wonder why they own it all/if any could be sold to developers one day whenever the local demographics get better. I was kind of bummed that property west of wheeler station is going to be renovated into homeless vet housing but it's nice for them I suppose.

I think they were planning to use that space for commuter rail space, university rail station space, more busses - I think their thinking is using it for more Wheeler station

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

As we all know, the Red Line hooks west and goes up Greenbriar where it splits in a Y with Fannin, and continues to Braeswood where it turns east and then turns again at the intersection with Fannin. There is one station in between at Smith Lands, which serves a giant parking lot and some apartments. As we all also know, TMC 3 is a massive development proposed east of Bertner between MD Anderson and Baylor. This is quite the walk from either the TMC transit center or from Smith Lands, which has no reasonable direct path. It means people who work at TMC 3 who might otherwise use the Red Line probably won't.

WHAT IF we realigned the Red Line to just stick to Fannin, closing the detour onto Greenbriar, the sharp curves, and the station at Smith Lands? This is a shorter route(approx .7 miles vs .9 currently). This would allow a station to be built perhaps around the intersection of Fannin and St. Agnes(one of those side streets that goes to Bertner). Then within the recommended quarter-mile walking distance that most planners seem to agree is how far folks walk, you got MD Anderson and the western Bertner facing side of the TMC 3 complex. And its only a .3 mile walk to the heart of TMC3.

Since the red line has more than one depot now, it wouldn't hurt to have to close the southern tail of the line and do a bus bridge for the few days it would take to join the track segments.

If this was done, it would ensure even more jobs are within striking distance of Houston's highest ridership transit corridor.

So what do ya'll think?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a great idea with one (significant) concern. Many people park in the Smith Lands lot and ride the Light Rail to their jobs in the heart of the TMC. Move the station and those people - a large number - will have to be accommodated.

My thought - without any real engineering - is an autonomous bus that would connect your new light rail station to the parking lot and maybe even some of the other medical facilities along OST.

Just dreaming here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

I think this is a great idea with one (significant) concern. Many people park in the Smith Lands lot and ride the Light Rail to their jobs in the heart of the TMC. Move the station and those people - a large number - will have to be accommodated.

My thought - without any real engineering - is an autonomous bus that would connect your new light rail station to the parking lot and maybe even some of the other medical facilities along OST.

Just dreaming here.

Some thoughts:

1. It might be easier to just not demolish the older alignment. Have a single LRV that goes to Dryden and back. They could also use the Smith Lands line for rodeo, football, etc.

2. Instead of an automated bus they could use a cheap mini bus similar to Metro Lift. It could be a community connector route. They'd keep the rail alignment for it to drive on.

3. Compare the long term cost of operating a transit service and maintaining current lot versus the cost of building parking garages somewhere else then selling the land.

4. Do an analysis of where the drivers who park at Smith Land come from. If they are coming from 610, then maybe expand the Fannin South Park and Ride and give everyone who parked at Smith Lands a special parking permit. This could be done by either A) leasing the parking on the old Astroworld site from the Rodeo people for a few years or B ) they buy and tear down that vacant Sams Club to the north of the existing lot and then expand the P&R out to the highway.

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 1

Or, they could build a large parking garage at the end of the Red Line and eliminate the Smithlands parking lots. People parking in a garage at the end of the Red Line would have easier freeway access, too. It would be a bonus if access from the garage to the Wham Bam Tram was covered. Put it where Waterworld used to be, build a covered walkway, make the entrance on West Bellfort so people will avoid Fannin... It'll be gold.

• Like 4

I have nothing to backup my suspicion (otherwise it wouldn't be a suspicion), but I suspect the alignment not staying on Fannin the entire way after Braeswood is probably to do with the fire station on Fannin right after Braeswood.

are there any examples of fire stations having an exit onto a street with a lightrail? maybe an interesting coincidence, maybe something to it?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, samagon said:

I have nothing to backup my suspicion (otherwise it wouldn't be a suspicion), but I suspect the alignment not staying on Fannin the entire way after Braeswood is probably to do with the fire station on Fannin right after Braeswood.

are there any examples of fire stations having an exit onto a street with a lightrail? maybe an interesting coincidence, maybe something to it?

I think this is a pretty insightful observation. I can't really think of a light rail line that has a grade crossing with a fire station adjacent to it. In any case if it was really such a huge problem then the cost of relocating the fire station to an adjacent block couldn't be so difficult.

You know maybe back in 2000 whenever they planned for the line they needed to be politically cautious and not ruffle feathers, so while it wouldn't be a genuine deal breaker they saw that as an issue?

On 6/8/2020 at 10:52 AM, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Or, they could build a large parking garage at the end of the Red Line and eliminate the Smithlands parking lots. People parking in a garage at the end of the Red Line would have easier freeway access, too. It would be a bonus if access from the garage to the Wham Bam Tram was covered. Put it where Waterworld used to be, build a covered walkway, make the entrance on West Bellfort so people will avoid Fannin... It'll be gold.

Well yeah that's what I am saying.

I'd prefer the Sams Club shell to go away honestly. The garage could have other stuff mixed in, it could be the start of some kind of transit village. In my ideal world the Astro World site would be used for something cool and not something with a lot of wasteful surface parking.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • The title was changed to METRORail Red Line
  • 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, editor said:

The latest service alert on Metro's web site is from May 5.  Why do you ask?

We were asked to get off the train without any notice. No immediate buses were lined up to take us elsewhere. I had to run a few miles.

I was just told it was a pedestrian accident. Someone walked in front of the train. 

A Lyft wanted $20.

• 1 year later...

I have a question.

Has METRO ever considered seat belts for their METRORail? I find it odd, like school busses, they do not have seat belts.

A few weeks ago, the train had to come to a quick halt because their was someone on the tracks.  The people all moved forward due to the motion of the train.  There are metal bars in front of the passenger, height wise, aligns with your forehead. I could see the train coming to a complete stop and somebody banging their forehead against the metal.  Ouch!

Or, in a freak accident to where the train derails, it would be good to be buckled in so you remain in your spot.

Some people will not wear their seat beats, and that is okay. Personal choice.  However, it would probably be safer to wear the seat belt.

• The topic was pinned
16 hours ago, Highrise Tower said:

I have a question.

Has METRO ever considered seat belts for their METRORail? I find it odd, like school busses, they do not have seat belts.

A few weeks ago, the train had to come to a quick halt because their was someone on the tracks.  The people all moved forward due to the motion of the train.  There are metal bars in front of the passenger, height wise, aligns with your forehead. I could see the train coming to a complete stop and somebody banging their forehead against the metal.  Ouch!

Or, in a freak accident to where the train derails, it would be good to be buckled in so you remain in your spot.

Some people will not wear their seat beats, and that is okay. Personal choice.  However, it would probably be safer to wear the seat belt.

I've ridden public transport all over the world. None of them have seat belts. Few passengers would wear them and they would be another maintenance item.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

I wish the plans were rail instead of BRT to IAH.

Me too, but an express BRT to IAH would be a lot faster than a potential Red Line extension. I just hate how its schedule is pretty much dependent on the I-45 expansion project (and we all know how that's going). 

Edited by Some one
  • Like 3

On 11/15/2023 at 7:44 AM, ChannelTwoNews said:

"While METRO lays the groundwork now, it admits that those in their 20s could be 40 years old when they ride it."

Certainly sounds that way.

if it's timed with the i45 expansion, then yeah, that timetable sounds right.

it's hard to for me to grasp even, looking at my daughter who is 2 now, might be old enough to drive when all this is completed.

which inevitably means we are all going to be impacted by the construction for that long. sucky times ahead.

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 7:56 AM, kennyc05 said:

I wish the plans were rail instead of BRT to IAH.

I hate to say it but I guess Houston will aways suck when it comes to being an urban city where you can take rail to major areas. How can you be the 4th largest city in the US and 5th largest metro and not have proper rail transit and call yourself world class, it’s laughable. Houston needs leadership with a vision of the future and BRT is not it. And they wonder why no one rides the BRT in uptown, it’s a f**king bus on the street. How can a city as rich as Houston not afford the best for its citizens? If you want to build rail to Hobby build it to where it’s not on the street with vehicles. And build a BART type line to IAH. 

Edited by citykid09
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, citykid09 said:

I hate to say it but I guess Houston will aways suck when it comes to being an urban city where you can take rail to major areas. How can you be the 4th largest city in the US and 5th largest metro and not have proper rail transit and call yourself world class, it’s laughable. Houston needs leadership with a vision of the future and BRT is not it. And they wonder why no one rides the BRT in uptown, it’s a f**king bus on the street. How can a city as rich as Houston not afford the best for its citizens? If you want to build rail to Hobby build it to where it’s not on the street with vehicles. And build a BART type line to IAH. 

What’s laughable is people that view Houston through the lens of pre-WW II glasses.

Houston is a post-WW II modern city and it will never compare to NYC and Chicago when it comes to mass transit or urbanity. It’s part of the new South and in fact some would say it is the premier city in the South.  It is world-class in certain areas (the arts, food, medical center)…good enough for me!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steve1363 said:

What’s laughable is people that view Houston through the lens of pre-WW II glasses.

Houston is a post-WW II modern city and it will never compare to NYC and Chicago when it comes to mass transit or urbanity. It’s part of the new South and in fact some would say it is the premier city in the South.  It is world-class in certain areas (the arts, food, medical center)…good enough for me!

If it’s world class I’m pretty sure it’s the only one that doesn’t have a mass transit system .. You make excuses for Houston being a post WW II city, but Houston had many chances in the past to build a true mass transit system but conservative leaders blew it and now the city suffers as one of the most sprawling cities in the world. Premier city in the South? . have you been to Atlanta? Have you heard of MARTA? 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, citykid09 said:

Nobody rides the BRT in uptown because it's a low-utility line with inadequate frequencies. It's window-dressing, through and through.

The University Line will be a much more impactful project.

• Like 1