Retail On Main Street

Subdude

The trouble with good kolaches: Not enough demand. Much as I'd love to have a Hillje's or Prasek's quality kolache in the tunnels, they don't have hundreds of people stopping through like those places do. This low demand and the pressure to provide a good selection means you have to throw out a lot of kolaches at the end of the day. Kolache Factory is resigned to this and sell theirs for half off after 2 PM, but are still left with plenty of spares. So with all that waste, that means to break even with a higher quality kolache is to raise prices significantly. But not too high or you start hurting your demand. Not optimistic that it would work.

So you are all agreed that nobody should EVER try anything new and downtown should just stay perpetually shitty. Ok.

Houston will never grow and be a greater city with most everyone keeping it down.

McDonald's DOES suck and I don't go there. But they make a killing.

So you are all agreed that nobody should EVER try anything new and downtown should just stay perpetually shitty. Ok.

Houston will never grow and be a greater city with most everyone keeping it down.

Maybe apply some of your own logic?

Please re read [the] post(s), apply reading comprehension, then answer.

Wow, you really are in a bad mood.

As I said earlier, the taco idea sounds great. Funny you should complain about reading comprehension.

Thirdly, McDonald's sucks.

Except for their frappes which are close enough to the Starbucks version, but a lot cheaper. And they used to have a hot sweet potato pie that was pretty good. Last time I had one was at the McD's in the tunnel.

• Like 1

If you just want to be pissed off, that's your choice. I'm trying to figure out what works, but there are so many failures down in the tunnels, it's not like people haven't put a lot more thought in to it than any of us ever will and not failed anyway. Recognizing that isn't keeping it down, it's growing like a mofo, and people like sammiches, apparently.

Failures I can think of off the top of my head;

Bewiched

Soup Cowboy

Howdy Burger

Thai place under FirstCity

Everything after Droubi next to Benihana

Burger King

Bennigan's

Longhorn Cafe

The Asian place that was where Tejas Grill is now

Other burger place between Becks and Rajin Cajun

Several places where Prince's/Brooklyn Meatball are now

Restaurants are an extremely tough business in the best of circumstances, when you try to make a go of it against a ton of competition with very limited hours, you have to find a great combination to make it work.  If someone had an established name like Niko Niko and Barnaby's have, I think that helps, but Kolaches that no one knows about for 50% more are going to be a tough sell.

McD's has some fairly iron clad franchise restrictions. Getting around those might make another DT location fairly difficult. That might be holding back another Whataburger too. If the franchisee of the existing shop doesn't want to open anohe location, other franchisees may be geographically restricted out of DT. But I'm just speculating.

Edited by Nate99

Who wouldn't want AMAZON lockers? Trying to catch deliveries at my house is a pain. Trying to get anything in the mail or delivered to my building is a bigger pain. That's why they invented them, for the convenience. 

I just see so much opportunity in DT. If I had the finances I would have the whole place filled up with all manner of businesses. 

Wednesdays are the farmer's market out in front of city hall, plenty of alternative lunch options and food trucks.

The best lunch spots are street level but there's some good places in the tunnel too.

My personal favs are:

BK Meatball Co.

Burger Guys

Sophias (breakfast tacos)

Treebeards (non-tunnel location)

Zydecos

Georgia Fresh

Salata

Who wouldn't want AMAZON lockers? Trying to catch deliveries at my house is a pain. Trying to get anything in the mail or delivered to my building is a bigger pain. That's why they invented them, for the convenience. 

I just see so much opportunity in DT. If I had the finances I would have the whole place filled up with all manner of businesses. 

I was intrigued by the Amazon locker thing so I looked it up. Couldn't find any locations in the Houston area.

Since the tunnels don't seem to be going away any time soon, there needs to be some more visible signage pointing to more stairways that lead to the tunnels, telling the directions to the most populated place of the tunnels: The Foodcourt. And also the signs should show any the names to any restaurants or boutique shops that can be accessed through that tunnel.

Since the tunnels don't seem to be going away any time soon, there needs to be some more visible signage pointing to more stairways that lead to the tunnels, telling the directions to the most populated place of the tunnels: The Foodcourt. And also the signs should show any the names to any restaurants or boutique shops that can be accessed through that tunnel.

I think that they would need to increase the hours of operation before they do that. 

I've thought about downtown retail a whole lot... like seriously. Two things that I think would make an immediate, positive impact to our downtown...

1) HOUSTON Gift Shops- The only decent one in downtown is at City Hall. We need MORE, and they need to sell all the crap that you would expect them too. If we're going to grow tourism in Houston, we must have gift shops. No better place for them than downtown.

2) Buc-ees- the stores have quickly become a Texas favorite. Even without gas, the Texas knick knacks and great food that Buc-ees has would work well in downtown Houston. Think how much stuff the Conventioners could buy there.

I dig the Beaver, but there is NO WAY it works downtown. The entire concept is built around being a road stop. A clean place to pee, fill up the car, and get the screaming kids to shut up for the next hour while they stuff their faces with Icees and Beaver Nuggets. Would a Buc-ees make money without the ability to move tons of gas?

However, when the new Marriott Marquis opens, then maybe the convention bureau needs to open a retail joint in the lobby filled with Texana stuff that the tourists can buy that would also market stuff to the park (convenience store stuff). 

I dig the Beaver, but there is NO WAY it works downtown. The entire concept is built around being a road stop. A clean place to pee, fill up the car, and get the screaming kids to shut up for the next hour while they stuff their faces with Icees and Beaver Nuggets. Would a Buc-ees make money without the ability to move tons of gas?

However, when the new Marriott Marquis opens, then maybe the convention bureau needs to open a retail joint in the lobby filled with Texana stuff that the tourists can buy that would also market stuff to the park (convenience store stuff). 

I'm guessing that there will be a gift shop attached to the new tourist center opening across from Minute Maid.