122-Townhome Development In Rice Military

Guest danax

I like that vision, a city that can have the benefits of both urban and suburban styles. If Houston were more like NYC or Montreal I'd probably complain that everything is too expensive and too crowded. My apartment is 100 times nicer than anywhere I ever lived in Montreal and I pay less. Having the best of both worlds would be pretty cool, I think. Once we have more metro rail lines and some of these urban style developments we keep hearing about, we might just have it that way.

More than a chameleon, I like to think of Houston as the city of contrasts.

Very well said.

Houston, City of Contrasts

sounds like a great marketing slogan. hmmm :) Hold on to that thought. I'm serious.

Close runner up to Coog's Houston...Be yourself!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks cool to me too! I've heard people on here complaining about "Mediterranean" architecture in Houston, but I think it's great. Maybe that's because I'm from Canada and I don't think anybody has ever built anything in that style back home, so it's really exotic to me. I don't know why, I'm sure it would be possible to "snow proof" a place like that... :)

Only thing I don't like is the fact that it's all fenced in... so I'll never be able to walk around and look at these cool houses.

It would be cool if this was built around an actual traffic circle. Would be cool to see such density around something like Mecom Fountain and to have the canyon effect of the villas on each street leading to the circle. Nice architecture and landscape architecture but the gated concept blows.

• 7 months later...
We walked through the 2 models today - the "smaller" one is for sale for ~1.2 million....The bigger one is already sold.....

Any Details about the greenspace in the middle, the entrance gate, 4th floor rooftop balcony...overall, what did you think?

Any Details about the greenspace in the middle, the entrance gate, 4th floor rooftop balcony...overall, what did you think?

There is a huge fountain in the middle (it looks like a gigantic planter you might have on your porch).....there is going to be a pool/cabana area in the future - they haven't started building that yet.

There is already a security guard working at the front gate - he rode up to us on his golf cart to tell us we couldn't be walking around because the development wasn't open to the public yet. We informed him we had registered with the sales office and were told we could walk around - the sales rep quickly told him to quit bothering the customers!!

The model villas were very nice - two distinctly different models - the one that was sold was 4 stories with an incredible entry - curved staircases all the way to the 4th floor...

The second model (still for sale at $1.2 million) was smaller, and only 3 stories - the living area was on the first floor with a great room/kitchen area overlooking a small pool/patio area...the third floor is a huge gameroom....this model was decorated in a more contemporary theme (furniture from Lignet Roset)

Neither of these models had a huge rooftop balcony - they both have balconies all over the place (the first model had 6 if I remember right)...some of the other villas/townhomes that are still under construction have 5th floor balconies (yes - they are 5 stories tall) with outdoor kitchens, fireplaces, and hot tubs.

I think the sales rep said 80 percent of the units come with an elevator standard - especially good for the 5 story units...

The brochure shows about 25% of the first phase already sold

hr1997243-2.jpg

Observations:

1. Mediterranean architecture is just so appropriate in pine forest. Too bad the Hill Country plan didn't work out, that would've been even better!

2. I can't wait to see that greenspace in the center attracting tons of people; there seems to be such a mixture of activities and uses there.

3. The great thing about gated developments is how they facilitate doing errands on foot, and just walking in general. It's exciting to see how we are preparing our urban fabric for a future in which gas prices mount ever higher than they are now and inner loop traffic congestion continues to soar with increased development.

H-Town:

Could you expound a bit on your 2nd and 3rd observations? It seems to me that the fountain wouldn't draw many people if no one other than residents is allowed inside the gate. And, since a gated community has limited ingress and egress...by design...it would seem to inhibit walking, for errands or otherwise.

H-Town:

Could you expound a bit on your 2nd and 3rd observations? It seems to me that the fountain wouldn't draw many people if no one other than residents is allowed inside the gate. And, since a gated community has limited ingress and egress...by design...it would seem to inhibit walking, for errands or otherwise.

There is a twinge of sarcasm in his observations.

• 2 months later...

These places are amazing... I had no idea that they could do something on this grand of a scale in that area. Personally, I love them.

I rode my bike through there (the security guard was really nice to us), and even though it was after hours (7-ish), the gate to the patio of the model unit was open (shown on page 8 of this pdf)... and WOW.

Here are a couple pics of the patio I snapped with my phone...

0602082006.jpg

0602082006a.jpg

• 5 months later...

Holy carp! These are quite nice...

Even so... with the huge interval between the previous post (lockmat) and the one before it (htowngirl) I was already betting the house that they were canceled/scrapped/on-hold.

I wonder how sales are faring... ne1?

i just had my rooms to go flashback.

Gah, if I see an other one of those gigantic wall-art roman numeral clocks I'll barf.

Pet peeve: they've put in all this fancy finish work, complete with the superfancy Z Gallerie bathroom mirrors, and every room is ruined by those white plastic paddle-switch wall plates. At least get some some fookin wall plates that match the other hardware.

The view from the top floor outdoor patio of those units is awesome.

A panoramic view of Downtown, Uptown (including Williams tower beacon), the Buffalo Bayou towers, and the River Oaks towers? Awesome. If we didn't live in a 90% humidity climate, the outdoor fireplace and seating area would be absolutely primo. Or, you could just consider it a sauna with a view. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a really nice development. It's nice to know that well-heeled individuals are still able to drive construction projects, such as the Caceres.

Rice Military (and surrounding areas) really do have the best central location IMO. With Memorial Park so close, I can really see this area teeming with activity and commerce soon.

Expensive construction projects always bring a decent amount of retail and restaurants to the area.

Rice Military (and surrounding areas) really do have the best central location IMO. With Memorial Park so close, I can really see this area teeming with activity and commerce soon.

Expensive construction projects always bring a decent amount of retail and restaurants to the area.

Yeah, esp w/the addition of Regent Square (though technically not rice military) and the mixed used developments (including the apt. complex @ heights & washington) that will be within walking distance of this area.... Hopefully, there will be some really nice shops/retail, etc when some of the bars/clubs phase out. Everyone complains about them, but they can do the area some good..

Archived