122-Townhome Development In Rice Military

Guest danax

Bizjournal article.

"The 8.1-acre tract, which was formerly home to two miniature horses, a donkey and other wildlife, is located in the southeastern section of Rice Military neighborhood and is bounded by Feagan, Renerman and Detering."

The general Rice Military area has gone from stank to swank in a short time and this project looks like it will push the prices even higher. Donkeys would appear to be pretty much extinct over there these days, but the baying of the train will still remain.

The link is for paid subscribers only, although you can navigate around that if desired by searching again. Here are the main points.

"Two top competitors in Houston's high-end custom home-building industry are teaming up to build what will be the largest project of their careers as they hammer into the multi-unit market. Black Diamond Properties and Rohe & Wright Builders are planning a 122-unit townhome and single-family community on one of the last undeveloped tracts of land between downtown and the inner-Loop Memorial area. The 8.1-acre tract, which was formerly home to two miniature horses, a donkey and other wildlife, is located in the southeastern section of Rice Military neighborhood and is bounded by Feagan, Renerman and Detering.

C

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The building in that area is explosive. I looked at Camp Logan /Rice Military earlier this year. I decided against it because there was way too much density without, in my mind, adequate fire fighting stations nearby and there were lots of complaints from area residents about the trains in the middle of the night. Also with all up the mid to upscale townhomes being built there, the streets havent changed. It doesnt take a genius to figure out that all the massive amounts of building taking place there will create flooding problems if the sewer system isnt upgraded. Many of the streets still rely on ditches to take away the water.........

The building in that area is explosive. I looked at Camp Logan /Rice Military earlier this year. I decided against it because there was way too much density without, in my mind, adequate fire fighting stations nearby and there were lots of complaints from area residents about the trains in the middle of the night. Also with all up the mid to upscale townhomes being built there, the streets havent changed. It doesnt take a genius to figure out that all the massive amounts of building taking place there will create flooding problems if the sewer system isnt upgraded. Many of the streets still rely on ditches to take away the water.........

I know there were orders to quiet the trains from Memorial Park. Now the trains going from Willowbend to Memorial Park do not sound horns.

Hopefully the city will improve drainage systems in the area.

I know the property is zoned to (Houston ISD) Memorial Elementary, Hogg Middle, and Lamar High School - I'm not sure how that affects property values around Rice Military, though.

I know there were orders to quiet the trains from Memorial Park. Now the trains going from Willowbend to Memorial Park do not sound horns

Well, the trains east of Memorial Park still sound their horns nonstop. There are times at 3:00 am when the blasting goes on for at least twenty minutes.

You are absolutely correct. There is way too much building going on on way too little land and, as I stated earlier, the trains can be incredibly annoying.

Across the street from me about 7 or 8 townhomes are going up in a space once occupied by two (very small) homes. If a fire started in one of the townhomes farthest from the street, there is no way a fire truck could get in there and, chances are, at least half of the townhomes would be damaged. Then, diagonal from me are probably another six or seven townhomes whose front doors stand no more than 5 feet away from the street---and which are built on allegedly environmentally contaminated land.

I'm not sure how all of these new developments can be built so quickly without some serious compromises in their construction---and I'm even less sure how they are all being "sold" so quickly. Its all very suspicious to me, especially when I know of at least 5 townhomes all within a block of each other that have been vacant since their construction over a year ago!

Additionally, as you mentioned, there is the potential for some serious flooding problems. Even with the initial construction that is going on, when it rains hard, small flooding is already occurring. I'm sure it will only get worse.

Are we talking north of the tracks or south of the tracks but near Washington? I'm trying to get an idea of the area in my mind. I admit that after six or so years, I'm still not 100% certain of RM's borders.

The borders are Westcott to the west, Washington to the north, Memorial to the south, and Detering to the east.

And "flooding" has not been a problem in Rice Military. I consider flooding to occur when water from a ditch, bayou, etc. enters someone's home and causes water damage. I agree that there are isolated areas where "drainage" may be an issue, but most of the time the drainage issues are temporary due to messy construction sites or homeowners using the drainage ditches as flower gardens. The entire Rice Military area is relatively high in elevation and not located within the Buffalo Bayou floodplain.

I used to live in Park Memorial Condos, which border this lot on the southside. This lot is at the top of a steep incline from Buffalo Bayou. It is probably 20 or more feet above where the bayou crested during Allison. It will not flood. Those who have driven up the incline at Detering understand this.

Drainage can be an issue if the storm drains are not sized properly. However, since Allison, drainage requirements are very strictly enforced. A 122 unit development will have all new drainage installed. This project will probably have fewer drainage problems than the rest of Rice Military.

I hate that this will become ANOTHER gated and guarded community in relatively close-in Houston.

Houston is becoming one big walled city. So much for street life, neighborly interaction, and less car dependence.

After reading today's Chronicle on-line, we really are becoming a third world city (low SAT scores, high poverty rates especially among minority communities, and the rich burying themselves behind guarded walls)!

I hate that this will become ANOTHER gated and guarded community in relatively close-in Houston.

Houston is becoming one big walled city. So much for street life, neighborly interaction, and less car dependence.

After reading today's Chronicle on-line, we really are becoming a third world city (low SAT scores, high poverty rates especially among minority communities, and the rich burying themselves behind guarded walls)!

1. The poverty rate applies to all of Texas, NOT the Houston area - remember there are entire slummy sections of Texas along the U.S.-Mexico border.

2. The article did NOT mention ACT scores, which have a wide currency in Texas. Maybe Texans do better with the ACT?

3. "and the rich burying themselves behind guarded walls)!" - I can't argue against that, though :)

I love the gated communities and so should the city. The residents are more responsible for things in the gated communities which releaves the city of some burdens----meaning those tax dollars could be spent elsewhere.

No matter if you are on a hill or not, poor drainage will cause flooding. If flooding hasnt been a problem in some of this area before, it is because it wasnt so densly populated with large townhomes with multiple amenties such as world pool tubs multiple bathrooms in home laundry rooms dishwashers etc etc. All things which empty into the sewers. Many things that the older homes there would not have had. Add to that these amenities are 100 fold. Receipe for disaster.

I love the gated communities and so should the city. The residents are more responsible for things in the gated communities which releaves the city of some burdens----meaning those tax dollars could be spent elsewhere.

No matter if you are on a hill or not, poor drainage will cause flooding. If flooding hasnt been a problem in some of this area before, it is because it wasnt so densly populated with large townhomes with multiple amenties such as world pool tubs multiple bathrooms in home laundry rooms dishwashers etc etc. All things which empty into the sewers. Many things that the older homes there would not have had. Add to that these amenities are 100 fold. Receipe for disaster.

Now I want to buy a house in that neighborhood just to see one of those newfangled "world pool tubs" you speak of. I cannot even imagine how awesome they must be.

I am pretty confident that the City of Houston no longer allows residential sewage to empty into the storm drainage system....or, so I am told.

Silly Midtown. Of course I want that. Boston > Houston.

Of course, don't forget that I also want Houston to be like Manhattan, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, and Austin too.

Who is more conceited?

1. He that opts for a home behind a fence, isolating themselves from their outward neighbors as per their preference?

2. He that forces all other people to live as he lives as per his preference?

-----------------

Kinkaid, do you really want to encourage all those sheltered antisocial pseudo-urbanites to associate with their neighbors if you are one of their neighbors? They don't really seem like your type.

Of course, don't forget that I also want Houston to be like Manhattan, San Francisco, LA, Chicago, and Austin too.

You're not the only one but.....we lack the historic architecture, regulatory environment, cool transit, density etc. I've pretty much released my desires along those lines realizing that there is something nationally unique being created here in Houston. We might be mentioned in wish-lists similar to yours in a few years. I have hope, anyway.

As for the gated deal; let's not forget there was a brutal murder blocks from here not long ago. If there were more large tracts of land like this being developed in other major cities I'm sure the same gates would be seen there too.

Rice Military is really a piece of work, classic Houston, being so instantly reinvented. I doubt if other cities can match us in pure developmental speed and exuberance. Hopefully the homes will not turn out to be pieces of dung years later and will endure so the area gets a nice patina of architectural similarity in the turn of the century townhome style.

Question: If you don't like a city that gives you complete access to everything from the comfort of your automobile (like driving in this morning with the top down on a gorgeous 70 deg. low humidity morning) and would rather be scurrying around like they do in NY, walking, walking, bumping into each other, then perhaps you should move from Houston. That's what I'd do. For me, though, I love my town. Warts and all.

Who is more conceited?

1. He that opts for a home behind a fence, isolating themselves from their outward neighbors as per their preference?

2. He that forces all other people to live as he lives as per his preference?

-----------------

Kinkaid, do you really want to encourage all those sheltered antisocial pseudo-urbanites to associate with their neighbors if you are one of their neighbors? They don't really seem like your type.

If I may be so brazen as to speak for Kinkaid, I don't think he wants to force others to live in a more neighborly and open fashion, so much as he wishes more inner city dwellers would WANT to, lessening the popularity of gated enclaves. For those who watch too much local news, there are numerous simple ways to make an inner loop home safe without the huge fence or burglar bars. To begin with, two slum dwellings were torn down to build this project. There is little low income housing left in Rice Military. Doors can be mounted on steel frames with deadbolts, making forced entry nearly impossible. First floor windows with reinforced glass will deter entry from the outside. In fact, reinforced windows will eliminate the need for plywood during hurricane season. A gate across the alley will help protect the garage. These features are not perfect, but they are far better than a perimeter fence, which can be easily scaled.

As for your two choices, I believe most people would find them equally conceited. Unfortunately, your last remark is probably true. The fence may be there to protect US from them. :(

Rice Military is really a piece of work, classic Houston, being so instantly reinvented. I doubt if other cities can match us in pure developmental speed and exuberance. Hopefully the homes will not turn out to be pieces of dung years later and will endure so the area gets a nice patina of architectural similarity in the turn of the century townhome style.

This is my only hope for many of these townhomes currently being built, sort of like the homes in Manhattan Beach California or Whitley Heights in LA, but once that starts to happen we might tear them down again. Thank god I'm still kind of young that I will probably live to see it.

This is similar to the phillipines and other 3rd world countries which leads me to your next comment...

This is what happens when you squeeze out the middle class. The richer will be richer certainly, but what they encounter when they leave their estates is squallor and poorer infrastructure like that of third world countries. So they are really hurting their quality of life as well by squeezing out the middle man. We(USA) are well on our way folks!

Sorry, I will try and learn from the Right. I should see the positive in,

1) High crime rates

2) High rates of poverty

3) 2 out of every 5 children living in poverty

4) low test scores

5) low graduation rates

6) today's news of median household income $6,000 less than the national average

7) poor air quality

8) poor public transportation

9) lack of public green space compared to other cities of similar size

Yeah, things look great when you drive home to Summerland and turn on the flat screen to watch Blue Collar T.V.!

Good grief.

Kinkaid and Midtowner - typical lefty mentality.

"Everything is broke beyond repair".

I can understand your response considering you are quite used to the Houston way of life which is already much closer to third world countries than much of the rest of the nation.

Pointing out the problems IS a part of the solution. The right either fails to admit there are problems or generally blames them on individuals and tells them to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

As for Boston's racist reputation, shove it honky. :)

Archived