METRORail University Line

ricco67

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gained a lot of respect for Poe.  I'm glad he's recognizing that the benefits of the line would far outwieigh the short term negatives. 

Culberson is very short sighted.  I'm quite shocked honestly that as someone who is concerned about finances, he wants the line to be built in a lower ridership area.  Which makes no sense because why would someone who says that we don't have the money to build it want to build something that would require a higher subsidy per rider? 

Anyway, all of this seems in vein because I doubt the University line is being built anytime within the next 10-15 years, unfortunately.

I had the opportunity to meet Congressman Poe (at the time, Judge), and I held a great deal of respect for him then, I wish there were more elected officials with the same cut of jib as he.

Good guy.

On the other hand, freeways and freeway contractors don't go on strike and foul up everybody's commute.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/01/us/california-bart-strike

Yeah, but a bad driver in an eighteen wheeler with a load of pipe can sure put a halt to your commute

also.

I don't think Metro has ever shut down its buses because of a strike.

You cannot really kill something that wasn't on the agenda. That being said, Culberson had his hand in killing the U Line several years ago. And, he will attempt to kill it in the future. He is quite the douchebag.

Can we get this asshole out of office already? Hes right up there with Tom Delay on my Houston politician sh-t list. This crap with them holding up Houston rail for their own personal gain has been going on far too long, enough is enough.

This is how I feel every time I hear about him having a hand in holding back rail in Houston:

Edit: weird, I cant see the youtube I posted??

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

well since it looks like thanks to Culberson this line will cross over 59 to Westpark at or before Shepherd. if thats the case i was thinking they could build another bridge, of some architecturally striking design, with matching color changing LEDs like the arch bridges, but the train bridge could light up/colors change when the train crosses it, at the same speed as the train or something, kind of a visual stimulation like the water fountains at Main St Square, but to go with the theme of the color changing arch bridges (whenever they finally get them lit up again.. i thought they were supposed to be working on that) over 59.

What a good idea.  We can avoid him for now on.  He does not care about our city.  He is getting pay backs for highway builders.  He said Afton Oaks did not want the University Line down Richmond.  Now they are building mid rises and high rises off Westheimer that all the traffic well cut across t Richmond and cause lot of traffic in Afton Oaks.  Be careful what you ask for.  They should now ask Culberson not to build skyscrapers in around there area.  Too late, so many traffic will cut across through Afton Oaks.  Culberson could ask for a bridge across Westheimer over the train tracks!   

• Like 3

Culberson could ask for a bridge across Westheimer over the train tracks!

That would be fantastic! Get Culberson to actually do something productive for the district.. Though I'd prefer an underpass like they had in mind for the east end line.. Trenching that whole track through that part of town would be most optimal though.

Culberson is the devil.

No more so than any other politician. He is representing the wishes of his constituents on this matter, especially those who live in Afton Oaks that would have access to their neighborhood destroyed by building the typical poorly designed METRO light rail down Richmond.

With the currently proposed routing west down Richmond until Greenway Plaza, then over the freeway to Westpark, access to Afton Oaks is not affected one tittle or jot.  For crying out loud, Afton Oaks is west of Greenway, west of Weslayan, and west of the UP railroad tracks.  John Culberson just has a visceral hatred of anything that's not a freeway.

• Like 1

No more so than any other politician. He is representing the wishes of his constituents on this matter, especially those who live in Afton Oaks that would have access to their neighborhood destroyed by building the typical poorly designed METRO light rail down Richmond.

Destroyed? Give me a break.

Why doesn't METRO split up the University Line into segments? Instead of trying to get the whole thing built at one time, build the eastern section from Eastwood TC to the Menil Station. This seems to be the uncontroversial segment. Then hopefully by the time it gets built, they should have the western segment routing all sorted. Building the eastern segment first works best anyways since it ties into the existing system.

The rail plan was to overpass Southwest freeway at Cummings then go down Westpark to avoid the rich people in Afton Oaks.  They got their way.  Just wait till The River District with two high rises, shops, apartments.  And also the 10 and 15 story apartments at Mid Lane.  with Westheimer with 2 lanes in each direction and when the train come.  All those cars will bypass and go through Afton Oaks. There traffic will increase dramatically.  Don't get what you ask for. LOL!     

• Like 1

The rail plan was to overpass Southwest freeway at Cummings then go down Westpark to avoid the rich people in Afton Oaks.  They got their way.  Just wait till The River District with two high rises, shops, apartments.  And also the 10 and 15 story apartments at Mid Lane.  with Westheimer with 2 lanes in each direction and when the train come.  All those cars will bypass and go through Afton Oaks. There traffic will increase dramatically.  Don't get what you ask for. LOL!     

Way to take the high road.  Love the "I didn't get what I wanted, so I hope that your life is miserable as a result" sentiment.

Blocking a light rail line is nothing compared to this rabid anti-Culberson nonsense.

Sneaking wording into legislation at the 11th hour is nonsense.

Why doesn't METRO split up the University Line into segments? Instead of trying to get the whole thing built at one time, build the eastern section from Eastwood TC to the Menil Station. This seems to be the uncontroversial segment. Then hopefully by the time it gets built, they should have the western segment routing all sorted. Building the eastern segment first works best anyways since it ties into the existing system.

The Feds will probably find that unacceptable

The rail plan was to overpass Southwest freeway at Cummings then go down Westpark to avoid the rich people in Afton Oaks. They got their way. Just wait till The River District with two high rises, shops, apartments. And also the 10 and 15 story apartments at Mid Lane. with Westheimer with 2 lanes in each direction and when the train come. All those cars will bypass and go through Afton Oaks. There traffic will increase dramatically. Don't get what you ask for. LOL!

The plan was to go through highland village originally but they protested so afton oaks was the next option and they protested as well

The plan was to go through highland village originally but they protested so afton oaks was the next option and they protested as well

I'm almost getting a sense that the voters in that district are opposed to light rail running through their neighborhoods. I wonder what their elected representatives should do?

• Like 1

I'm almost getting a sense that the voters in that district are opposed to light rail running through their neighborhoods. I wonder what their elected representatives should do?

The rest of the city voted for the line to go through their neighborhoods. What should the elected officials of the city at large do?

The rest of the city voted for the line to go through their neighborhoods. What should the elected officials of the city at large do?

I'm sure that HCC has some basic US government classes to help you to understand how the different levels of government work. Might be helpful.