METRORail University Line

ricco67

So would the Texas department of transportation.

And what would you have used the money on, more roads?

No thanks, we've played out this scenario enough times all ready for me to pretend that we can have a rational discussion about transportation. Not interested in being troll bait today.

That's what happens when large amounts of money get placed in the hands of an ineffective organization. If DART was a private company, it would have gone out of business.

You could say the same about any public transportation agency here in the US..

Ahh, so you are in favor of destroying small business and forcing people out of their homes to further your goals. Heaven forbid that someone affected by a proposal not just get out of the way and let your version of progress move forward. Wait, I am feeling vibrations of the sort the residents of the Bronx felt when they lost their homes for a freeway that was badly routed.

Now, how about that answer to post #3712?

There is some eminent domain that takes place for a rail project. However your example is laughable. Robert Moses DESTROYED the Bronx by building the expressway. Also he was a racist and the Bronx was a minority neighborhood. As I said since you hate government so much you should move somewhere where you are responsible for everything with no assistance. As far as the 3712 trae713 can confirm on my behalf

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/1887883-so-what-deal-future-light-rail.html

HAHA! Your proof is another post on another forum? Nice try, but no can do, sport. Either provide proof or your statement or admit that you made it up. Actually, the third option is to continue making this claim, because we all know it was made up. We live here. We read the news. We know that those funds were not designated for one place or another. The longer you claim so, the more foolish you look...

...if that is even possible.

• Like 2

HAHA! Your proof is another post on another forum? Nice try, but no can do, sport. Either provide proof or your statement or admit that you made it up. Actually, the third option is to continue making this claim, because we all know it was made up. We live here. We read the news. We know that those funds were not designated for one place or another. The longer you claim so, the more foolish you look...

I have actually heard the same thing from Dallas folks.. Not sure the truth behind it but its interesting that multiple different people have heard the same "rumor(?)"

http://www.chron.com/opinion/editorials/article/Metro-faces-increasing-competition-for-federal-1675977.php

Culberson and DeLay had the power to thwart federal funding for Houston rail, while directing federal transit funds to other cities such as Dallas. Now Culberson says he hasn't the influence to get Houston the help it needs and deserves. The extensive damage he and DeLay have done to Houston's interests is clear.

I'll look to see if i can find a better article with a more clear picture of what actually happened.

I appreciate your efforts to find proof that another poster is too lazy to provide. However, keep in mind that said poster claims that Dallas got "free federal money" because Houston "threw it away". So, editorials lamenting Tom Delay and John Culberson's efforts to deny METRO federal funding is not at all the same as a claim that Dallas would not have received money but for Houston not receiving it. That is the lie that I called the poster out on. If you can find an article proving that the federal funds Dallas received were originally Houston's funds, I'd love to see it. That editorial ain't it.

Again, I appreciate your efforts to ensure info posted on the forum is accurate. I only wish that other poster were as diligent.

Here's an article where it seems like funds went to San Fran instead of Houston in the last minute.

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Rail-backers-question-whether-DeLay-Culberson-1942458.php

Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, offered a rider to the Senate version of the appropriations bill that would have forced the FTA to accept the Metropolitan Transit Authority's nontraditional financing proposal. House staff members said they inadvertently inserted similar language in the House version, but it was deleted during frenzied conference-committee negotiations days before Thanksgiving. A similar rider for a San Francisco light rail project was not deleted and is now law.

There is some eminent domain that takes place for a rail project. However your example is laughable. Robert Moses DESTROYED the Bronx by building the expressway. Also he was a racist and the Bronx was a minority neighborhood. As I said since you hate government so much you should move somewhere where you are responsible for everything with no assistance. As far as the 3712 trae713 can confirm on my behalf

http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/1887883-so-what-deal-future-light-rail.html

And it's not unreasonable of those who are victims of eminent domain to make impassioned pleas against the taking. I'm not a fan of government taking, even when it's justified. And it's not justified for light rail in Houston.

Here's an article where it seems like funds went to San Fran instead of Houston in the last minute.

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Rail-backers-question-whether-DeLay-Culberson-1942458.php

This is a 2005 vote for 2006 funding. Did DART get any money in the fiscal 2006 year? They got some in fiscal 2007, which of course would not be Houston's money.

http://www.chron.com/default/article/Editorial-Why-is-one-man-blocking-Houston-s-2027820.php

As a result of this week's congressional action, Houston received nothing for environmental impact studies on congested corridors that will qualify the region for other transportation funding down the road; nothing for added transportation and emergency management functions for the TranStar system that was so useful during recent flooding; and nothing for a bus rapid transit project along the West Loop/Post Oak Corridor that was to have linked to other mobility improvements in adjacent busy corridors.

Instead, pending approval in the Senate, Houston will get up to $6 million out of a requested $50 million to pay for design and construction of Katy Freeway improvements -- but nothing for any effort to provide direct transit access on this vital but choked artery. And Houston will get $10.1 million to build a Barker-Cypress Park & Ride on U.S. 290.

By contrast, Dallas will get $70 million for its transit projects.

I found this tidbit. I think the Tom Delay federal funding block for Houston light rail at the time is what caused the money to go to Dallas or Dallas and Houston should have both been funded, either way it was not funded at that time.

This may be what people are talking about. It wasn't a lot of money but was still a successful way of delaying the effort to become eligible for more funding.

I'll look further, its friday and nothing else planned anyway

Edited by Spacecityroller

For an elder you sure are disrespectful. Please behave your age red and try to act like a decent person.

I appreciate your efforts to find proof that another poster is too lazy to provide. However, keep in mind that said poster claims that Dallas got "free federal money" because Houston "threw it away". So, editorials lamenting Tom Delay and John Culberson's efforts to deny METRO federal funding is not at all the same as a claim that Dallas would not have received money but for Houston not receiving it. That is the lie that I called the poster out on. If you can find an article proving that the federal funds Dallas received were originally Houston's funds, I'd love to see it. That editorial ain't it.

Again, I appreciate your efforts to ensure info posted on the forum is accurate. I only wish that other poster were as diligent.

Again, please attempt to stop attacking me and stay on topic. I know it's hard but try.

How about you start providing some real backup for your claims? I know it's hard, but try.

I gave a link to the Detroit streetcar story right away. I will find a source to my dallas information don't worry. And plus I'm in bermuda my goal at the moment isn't to make you and red and cinco happy, sorry.

I gave a link to the Detroit streetcar story right away. I will find a source to my dallas information don't worry. And plus I'm in bermuda my goal at the moment isn't to make you and red and cinco happy, sorry.

I read that as you're in your bermuda shorts sitting in the basement with no sources whatsoever.

Again, please attempt to stop attacking me and stay on topic. I know it's hard but try.

Pointing out that you are making unsupported claims is neither an attack nor disrespectful. But, I understand your need to deflect the fact that you refuse to support your claims. I am simply not letting it die. Sorry if it makes you a bit uncomfortable.

Cloud's post indicates Dallas. Is that where you are now? In your bahama shorts? No shame in that (well, not much anyway).

I was talking about Cloud's post in reference to the fact that its well known that houston funds were shifted to Dallas. I am not in dallas I am in Warwick long bay, bermuda, about to head to the beach.

I was talking about Cloud's post in reference to the fact that its well known that houston funds were shifted to Dallas. I am not in dallas I am in Warwick long bay, bermuda, about to head to the beach.

Please go back to spending Daddy's money and cease your trolling.

Wanting a good transportation system is not trolling. Posting about being on the beach in Bermuda in a forum related to a good tranportation system is trolling and is generally quite revealing from a psychological standpoint. You seem to have a frequent need to brag about your material wealth while proclaiming how you stand up for poor people. It's really quite interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Congressman Poe is trying to make a case to secure federal funds so that the University Line can be built. his rationale is that people in his district want it and that the federal funds would just go to another city that is proactive about securing them.

He is asking for your voice on Facebook. Please make your opinion heard so he can get an accurate reading of the support for the completion of the University Line.

http://www.houstontomorrow.org/livability/story/Rep-Poe-calls-for-action-on-University-Line/?utm_source=Houston+Tomorrow+Growth+News&utm_campaign=d3e45a1388-Houston_Tomorrow_Livability_News_042513&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_02f1bf7b5d-d3e45a1388-7265

• Like 2

Gained a lot of respect for Poe.  I'm glad he's recognizing that the benefits of the line would far outwieigh the short term negatives. 

Culberson is very short sighted.  I'm quite shocked honestly that as someone who is concerned about finances, he wants the line to be built in a lower ridership area.  Which makes no sense because why would someone who says that we don't have the money to build it want to build something that would require a higher subsidy per rider? 

Anyway, all of this seems in vein because I doubt the University line is being built anytime within the next 10-15 years, unfortunately.