METRORail University Line

ricco67

Not stirring the pot, but how the hell does the Univ Line end at Shepherd & Richmond w/o METRO having to condemn a lot more property than planned for that site, and why would METRO want to do that? 

I'm pretty sure that "totheskies" was being sarcastic.  I highly doubt that any work on the University Line is planned anytime soon. 

And I don't think the scenario proposed here is realistic IMO.

Not stirring the pot, but how the hell does the Univ Line end at Shepherd & Richmond w/o METRO having to condemn a lot more property than planned for that site, and why would METRO want to do that? 

Shepherd Square Plaza becomes our Grand Central Station? :)

Sources tell me that there are going to be some big steps forward with the University Line coming soon.  The current plan is to build it out to Greenway plaza (right to the line where it crosses John Culberson's Congressional district), and then watch Houstonians get mad until he caves.  Construction planned for 2014. 

You had my hopes up with this post, but your attempt at sarcasm sucks when you're making it sound like this could be real.

The source is pretty credible... though she's not on the METRO board, she has a lot of sway with them.  The other thing said was that the Uptown line would be converted to BRT. 

The BRT sounds believable since I believe there was news about uptown starting that up by itself without METRO.

METRO is petitioning to the City of Houston to designate Richmond between Main and Greenway Plaza as a "transit street" on its Major Thoroughfare Plan. This is useful for planning/engineering and interagency coordination purposes, but it's a far cry from any portion of the line actually being built anytime soon. Especially since building any portion of the line will cost money and federal grant agreements that METRO simply does not have right now.

The next thing that's going to be built (after the three lines currently under construction are completed) is the Uptown BRT, provided funding can be secured. Uptown District is actually driving this project; METRO has simply agreed to provide service.

The U-line, I'm afraid, is at least a decade away at this point.

METRO is petitioning to the City of Houston to designate Richmond between Main and Greenway Plaza as a "transit street" on its Major Thoroughfare Plan. This is useful for planning/engineering and interagency coordination purposes, but it's a far cry from any portion of the line actually being built anytime soon.

Thanks for the clarification. That actually makes sense rather than any claim that a piece of the Univ Line will be built before all of it is funded. It makes so much sense it's hard to believe METRO thought to do it...

METRO is petitioning to the City of Houston to designate Richmond between Main and Greenway Plaza as a "transit street" on its Major Thoroughfare Plan. This is useful for planning/engineering and interagency coordination purposes, but it's a far cry from any portion of the line actually being built anytime soon. Especially since building any portion of the line will cost money and federal grant agreements that METRO simply does not have right now.

The next thing that's going to be built (after the three lines currently under construction are completed) is the Uptown BRT, provided funding can be secured. Uptown District is actually driving this project; METRO has simply agreed to provide service.

The U-line, I'm afraid, is at least a decade away at this point.

I think METRO is simply hoping that somehow they will get federal funds for this line. Without that I see no construction on the horizon either.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I know, I talk to Council Member Costello.  He said the city, county, and METRO are talking to build the line without the government.  Dallas DART has now 90 miles of lights rail.  The most in the country.  They have to lowest ridership in the country.  I try it from empty downtown Dallas to Plano and it took 1 hours and forty minutes.  We just need light rail within the loop, and then connect to commuter rail to the suburbs. Maybe Qanell X my have an option!  :lol:

• Like 1

Why is this in "Planes?"

LRT - A?

I'm pretty sure there will have to be a serious rethinking of the entire University Line EIS if the Line is going completely airborne

On the other hand, the people bitching the loudest about the need for grade separation will be very pleased

I can't really envision the connections to the Red Line at Wheeler Station, but then I'm not an engineer

Edited by IHB2
  • Like 1

I know, I talk to Council Member Costello. He said the city, county, and METRO are talking to build the line without the government. Dallas DART has now 90 miles of lights rail. The most in the country. They have to lowest ridership in the country. I try it from empty downtown Dallas to Plano and it took 1 hours and forty minutes. We just need light rail within the loop, and then connect to commuter rail to the suburbs. Maybe Qanell X my have an option! :lol:

I took dart to Richardson from downtown took about 25 minutes, but that's closer to Plano. Someone posted a rumor on here that metro would build university line to the edge of Culberson's district anyway.

I did, he is a devil.  I live off Kirby, and would love take a train to go out to eat, and party without driving.  The freeways contractors are paying him off.   

On the other hand, freeways and freeway contractors don't go on strike and foul up everybody's commute.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/01/us/california-bart-strike

• 2 weeks later...