Niels Esperson Building, Partial Conversion To Multifamily

MidtownCoog

They just shifted their construction walls around to reveal the escalators from the tunnel up to the lobby.  They are reconfiguring the space in front of Schlotzky's now with new temporary walls up in front of it. The two Asian food places reopened with a more food court-esque design, perhaps they will be adding more slots in where that seating used to be. 

9ay9ok.jpg

• Like 4

The plaid terrazzo really grew on me over the years.  I can't figure out why they decided to draw an arc into it, much less an arc of white that is going to look really grubby really fast under all those dining tables.

Dang kids.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Had a day off of work last week and decided to get a closer look at the grand tempietto of the Esperson buildings.

Here is what I saw:

20140915_150849_Richtone_HDR.jpg

20140915_155636.jpg

20140915_160004.jpg

Old mail chute

20140915_160248.jpg

Gulf building

20140915_161227.jpg

These old loudspeakers surrounded the entire balcony perimeter. Anyone know what they were for?

20140915_161301.jpg

Nice views..

20140915_161405.jpg

20140915_161411.jpg

20140915_161420.jpg

Beautiful urns...

20140915_161429.jpg

The grand tempietto...

20140915_161211.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

Edited by Howard Huge
  • Like 7

Wow. Very cool. Who did you have to bribe to get out on the upper deck?

No one, I "snuck" up there!

I got a workout too because the elevator will only take you to floor 17 unless you have a card key.

Does anyone know what companies occupy the upper "access only" floors?

Also, I know these buildings are haunted. I have to say I felt an EXTREMELY eerie presence walking in the staircases and hallways. There was no one else there but I definitely "felt" someone or something watching me. It was pretty scary.

• Like 1

Once upon a time, years ago, there was a small law firm on one of the way upper floors.  IDK who is there now.  

As for the speakers, IIRC they once played some simulated carillon music on the hour.  I think I even heard it recently, for the first time in forever.

• Like 1

No one, I "snuck" up there!

I got a workout too because the elevator will only take you to floor 17 unless you have a card key.

Does anyone know what companies occupy the upper "access only" floors?

Also, I know these buildings are haunted. I have to say I felt an EXTREMELY eerie presence walking in the staircases and hallways. There was no one else there but I definitely "felt" someone or something watching me. It was pretty scary.

It was the NSA :lol:
  • Like 1

Once upon a time, years ago, there was a small law firm on one of the way upper floors.  IDK who is there now.  

As for the speakers, IIRC they once played some simulated carillon music on the hour.  I think I even heard it recently, for the first time in forever.

I'm amazed that it still exists! If memory serves correctly, there was the famous Westminster chime on the hour, followed by a repeated bell note striking the hour.

• Like 1

I always thought that Westminster chime came from a church in downtown?

It's been decades since I've spent any time out-of-doors in downtown Houston and the sound of the chimes seem to float over high over the city. Back then, the only churches that were truly considered as being "downtown" were Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, Christ Church Cathedral, First Methodist Church and Annunciation Catholic Church. For a variety of reasons, church bells usually don't sound every hour.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

https://www.arch-con.com/division/kelsey-seybold-esperson-clinic/

Kelsey-Seybold Clinic in the Downtown Tunnels, beneath the Niels and Millie Esperson Buildings, will be the first primary care clinic located in the Tunnels. This will be the second Kelsey-Seybold Clinic in Houston’s downtown area. Arch-Con will be renovating the 2,640-square-foot space, which includes a lobby, reception area, two exam rooms, a storage room, IT room, and an employee break room. The clinic will offer regular outpatient services. The location will give people who work west of Main Street easy access to a Kelsey-Seybold provider.

Photo I took on Friday.

b3fRuWb.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Kelsey-Seybold Clinic opens in downtown Houston tunnels

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2020/01/07/houston-health-care-company-opens-in-downtown.html

The Houston-based health care company has opened a new clinic in the downtown tunnel system, located beneath the Niels and Mellie Esperson Buildings. The 3,000-square-foot clinic opened earlier this month. It is located in the Esperson Tunnel at 815 Walker St., suite T-14A.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to The Neils Esperson Building

Downtown Esperson Buildings For Sale: Whisper Number – $65 Million

https://realtynewsreport.com/2020/02/05/downtown-esperson-buildings-for-sale-whisper-number-65-million/

HOUSTON – (Realty News Report) – Contrarian Capital’s historic Esperson Buildings in downtown Houston are expected to draw offers around $65 million in a new effort to sell the buildings, reports Real Estate Alert.

JLL has the listing for the combined 509,000-SF properties.

The property includes the 32-story Niels Esperson Building, built in 1927 at 808 Travis. It has been described as the “only full-blown example of Italian Renaissance architecture in downtown Houston.”

The adjoining 19-story Mellie Esperson Building, 815 Walker, is an Art Deco office tower completed in 1941.

The Esperson buildings, which are tunnel connected, are 66 percent leased. Late last year, it was announced the Martin, Disiere, Jefferson & Wisdom law firm leased 42,000 SF in the Esperson project.

Overall, the Houston office market has its soft spots, but new buildings have been leasing up briskly. The owners of older office buildings respond by spending millions to renovate.

It’s all part of what real estate industry people call the “Flight to Quality.” Corporate tenants, which compete to attract the best employees (or talent), strive to have prime office buildings that have offerings that make outstanding workplaces.

“We continue to see firms that value their employees as assets looking to relocate to new developments to ensure employee satisfaction, allowing these companies to attract and retain top employment talent,” said office leasing expert Chip Colvill of Colvill Office Properties, which leases a number of downtown buildings. “The new developments offer a higher quality environment, greater amenities, more efficient floor plans, better elevatoring, superior parking, etc. causing these new developments to be in high demand,” Colvill said in a recent interview.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...