Courthouse District Construction

j_cuevas713

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, hindesky said:

When I said it needed fencing I meant interior fencing with openings wide enough for pedestrians and a locked gate for maintenance vehicles.

My bad I was just being sarcastic, but I agree, a fence would do wonders. I guess I'm trying to understand how a car got up there and police are just 2 blocks away . 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, xbryanisbeastx said:

This might be controversial, but do we need more parks downtown? I personally would rather more buildings/density.

We have dozens of empty lots in downtown, most are surface parking lots, bring us more parks, they spur other development.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, xbryanisbeastx said:

This might be controversial, but do we need more parks downtown? I personally would rather more buildings/density.

Greenspace is always a plus, especially if they connect it to Buffalo Bayou. This enhances the attractiveness of downtown for more dense development. 

• Like 5

This is nice. My coworkers at the County kept saying it was going to be a dog park, but that never made sense to me given that residential isn't concentrated around that area, and most dog parks tend to be close to residential areas. Now, if they could just demolish 1301 Franklin, that'd be great.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, xbryanisbeastx said:

Yes, downtown needs more parks.  It also needs more buildings to replace the surface parking lots.  But there's plenty of under-utilized space for both.

Parks are a magnet for residential and other development. So much so that big real estate development companies will actually build their own parks adjacent to their skyscrapers (both office and residential), and then give the land to the city in order to increase the value of their commercial properties.

• Like 5

I really like the idea of this space. 

I also feel like I'm about the only person around that likes the design of the Family Law Center.

Wouldn't hate it if it could be repurposed into a learning space or museum/archive that could serve the purpose and mission of the surrounding park area. I won't be too terribly heartbroken if it comes down however.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

I also feel like I'm about the only person around that likes the design of the Family Law Center.

Wouldn't hate it if it could be repurposed into a learning space or museum/archive that could serve the purpose and mission of the surrounding park area. I won't be too terribly heartbroken if it comes down however.

If, when it comes down, you find yourself missing it, go take a tram tour of NASA Johnson from Space Center Houston. You'll see plenty of buildings like this one!

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2023 at 10:10 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

My barber has some pics of Houston when all of these smaller buildings were still around and it makes we wonder how much nicer Downtown could have been had developers and the city been more considerate of it's history. Downtown was littered with small little brick buildings with ornate features. While a lot has been saved since then, there is still so much that has been lost.  This one along with the old original city hall were absolute gems. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The old City Hall building was used as a bus station until the building burned in 1960 https://www.houstontx.gov/abouthouston/cityhallhistory.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ChannelTwoNews said:

I kinda like the design, too.  It would be nice if it could be made into a centerpiece of the park, like as a community center + Museum of Houston + tourist information center + gift shop.  

• Like 1