Courthouse District Construction

j_cuevas713

2 hours ago, Avossos said:

Where is this and what is “courthouse district”

I hope that name is slang, because I feel like that sound’s unappetizing .

The parcel is 1117 Franklin St. It's in downtown Houston's Harris County District.

Below is a diagram of downtown's districts from Downtown Houston's website.

https://www.downtownhouston.org/districts/

DQRea6p.jpg 

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Below is a map of 1117 Franklin St (parcel address). 

The 1117 Franklin St parcel is approximately 1.44 acres. The block is bounded by Franklin St, San Jacinto St, Commerce St, and Fannin St. 

Located on the property is the Coffee Pot Building at 102 San Jacinto St (I think this was also the Gordon, Sewall, & Co. Building). Also on the property is the Lomas Nettleton Garage at 119 Fannin St and the Reef Parking Garage at 1103 Franklin St.

rpyH7Wk.jpg

SeE9qAQ.jpg

Below is the parcel map of 1117 Franklin St.

U07Uu9e.jpg

Below is the 1117 Franklin St parcel map with street addresses included.

Located on the property is the Coffee Pot Building at 102 San Jacinto St (I think this is/was also the Gordon, Sewall, & Co. Building?... I'm not for certain). Also on the property is the Lomas Nettleton Garage at 119 Fannin St and the Reef Parking Garage at 1103 Franklin St.

5HYcnsr.jpg

15 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Anyone know what’s happening here? 

IMG_0295.jpeg

There's a comment from 2019 that answers your question:

On 11/9/2019 at 4:03 PM, Ross said:

I think the County plans to demo the Lomas & Nettleton garage at 119 Fannin and the Coffee Pot Building at 102 San Jacinto. At least that's what I am thinking after perusing this 2011 list of County owned property https://agenda.harriscountytx.gov/2011/06-21-11CIP-FY 2011-12 Web/06-21-11 CIP-FY 2011-12 06-Buildings.pdf

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/13195-franklin-lofts/?do=findComment&comment=606763

Also, there's this bid information pertaining to the demolition of the Coffee Pot Building and Lomas Nettleton Parking Garage at 1117 Franklin Street (for the Harris County Office of the County Engineer): 

https://www.bidnet.com/closed-government-contracts/csp---demolition-of-the-coffee-pot-building-and-lomas-nettleton-parking-garage-at-1117-franklin-street-for-the-harris-county-office-of-the-county-engineer--estimated-budget----2-827-792-?itemId=814782192

There's more information in the last two PDF files on the bid site.

34 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

There's a comment from 2019 that answers your question:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/13195-franklin-lofts/?do=findComment&comment=606763

Also, there's this bid information pertaining to the demolition of the Coffee Pot Building and Lomas Nettleton Parking Garage at 1117 Franklin Street (for the Harris County Office of the County Engineer): 

https://www.bidnet.com/closed-government-contracts/csp---demolition-of-the-coffee-pot-building-and-lomas-nettleton-parking-garage-at-1117-franklin-street-for-the-harris-county-office-of-the-county-engineer--estimated-budget----2-827-792-?itemId=814782192

There's more information in the last two PDF files on the bid site.

Demo plan for 1117 Franklin St included on Bidnet:

6jcCIuI.jpg

• Like 2

The link will eventually get you to a document that is 12 years old, but it seems that the default use for Houston (parking lot) will win again.

BUILDINGS TO BE RAZED

• 1301 Franklin Jail – Court approved a request to raze this facility, and has charged PID with coordinating the relocation of the building’s two occupants, the HCSO occupies floors 1 – 2 and the District Clerk’s Office “mothballed” imaging project is located on floors 5 - 8. The estimated cost to raze the facility is $6.5M.

• Coffee Pot Building / Fannin Garage – PID has obtained a cost estimate to raze the Coffee Pot Building / Fannin Parking Garage block (102 San Jacinto) and convert the site into a parking lot. Estimate $2.2M. Construction and/or purchase of a warehouse to relocate the contents of this facility will initially need to occur.

• DA Building – As part of the Harris County Downtown Master Plan, this facility is scheduled to be razed and become a surface parking lot. Preliminary discussions with the County’s historical building consultant indicate that razing this facility might prove difficult. PID will further evaluate this project and make a recommendation to Court. Estimate $1.2M.

• Family Law Center – PID has obtained a cost estimate to raze the Family Law Center and construct a surface parking lot, after a new Family Law Center has been constructed. Estimate $2.2M

• Hogan Allnoch – PID appraised this facility at $2.44M, and subsequently attempted to sell the facility through three public auctions with no success. PID requests Court approval to raze the facility and convert it into a surface parking lot. Estimate $1.0M.

Edited by Brooklyn173
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Brooklyn173 said:

The link will eventually get you to a document that is 12 years old, but it seems that the default use for Houston (parking lot) will win again.

That's true for the link @Ross provided in his comment from 2019. However, the Bidnet link I provided above in the same comment I quoted Ross is more recent. The documents have a 2022 date.

If I recall correctly, when Harris County made the decision to consolidate all or nearly all of its operations into 1111 Fannin, it was going to free up its wned and leased facilities that were relocating from this area, including several full-block and partial block sites, for private development.

No knowledge of what's happening here, but my hope and assumption is the process is starting to ready these sites for future development.

• Like 2

Losing the old Houston Post building, Hogan Allnoch building, and the old DA building still breaks my heart. Not to mention the demolished buildings behind the Lancaster Hotel. The old Incarnate Word and old Sacred Heart as well. So much potential for all of those buildings. We have saved quite a few buildings as well but it just sucks how much potential those buildings all had to add to the vibrancy of downtown.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

What will ultimately replace the coffee pot building? I work at the county and some of my coworkers say a dog park is coming, but I doubt that. The Plan Downtown Report from 2017 recommends developing a North Downtown Transit Center at that location, but I haven't seen any concrete plans either way. 

My barber has some pics of Houston when all of these smaller buildings were still around and it makes we wonder how much nicer Downtown could have been had developers and the city been more considerate of it's history. Downtown was littered with small little brick buildings with ornate features. While a lot has been saved since then, there is still so much that has been lost.  This one along with the old original city hall were absolute gems. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 7
  • Sad 1