Gossamer Hotel At 702 Hyde Park Blvd.

trymahjong

So 6 storied boutique hotel built in funky mythological not the least historic  location and let me guess..........all sheathed in chrome and glass......

Nouveaux  architecture seems so ubiquitous nowadays.............couldn't anyone at the developers  firm broke out of their box and used this opportunity to make something fabulously Montrosian? 🧐🤨😒😕

• Like 1

We have no idea what this will be clad with yet, but I would be *very* surprised if it's all chrome and glass.

Overall I'm a big fan of this site plan, and I think this is a great location for a hotel of this size. 

I'm looking forward to seeing some elevations or a rendering.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

The site plan indicates a 52-parking garage on the corner Crocker St (located on the 708 Hyde Park Blvd and 714 Hyde Park Blvd parcels). However, in the variance request submission, developers state plans for a 54-parking garage.

j122kcU.jpg

Does the 54 possibly count the 2 cars parked in the Deliveries area?

I 'm not sure I am in favor of losing green space in offset request.  It seems to be a knee jerk first step in these types of development , that Farb Fellow requested it for Montrose and Fairview build.  IMO- losing actual ground, and propensity to bring in loads to dirt to build slightly higher than surrounding plots contributes to flooding. ALSO- This always makes me worried concerning   what will happen to existing tree canopy- that doesn't seem to be a topic of conversation with anyone- but tree canopy is everything to those of us who walk our pets around this neighborhood. That tree in backyard is huge canopy-- trees along Crocker street are modest but canopy significant.

I think I did get a glance at renderings- I remember sighing. I don't mean to be jaded--- but really.........this is an opportunity to make something very very special.....unique even..............my pie in the sky might be giving me fits but I'm really bored with the modern  ubiquitous yadayada every young architect seems to submit for these kind of paces.

This developer claims to want to be "part of the community" even locating their offices at Welch and Taft-- alrighty then-- reflect that in what sheathes this nice little blueprint.

• The title was changed to Proposed Hotel: 402-414 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 3:09 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Site plan of the proposed boutique hotel's first floor. The hotel will be located on the 700 block of Hyde Park Blvd. According to the site plan, the hotel's address will likely be 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

This is included in the variance request submitted to the city's Planning & Development department.

The site plan indicates a 52-parking garage on the corner Crocker St (located on the 708 Hyde Park Blvd and 714 Hyde Park Blvd parcels). However, in the variance request submission, developers state plans for a 54-parking garage.

j122kcU.jpg

Below is the full size (and clearer) site plan for the first level of the proposed hotel on the 700 block of Hyde Park Blvd. The proposed hotel is located between Crocker St and Stanford St in Montrose.

According to the site plan, the hotel's address will likely be 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

The site plan is included in the variance request submitted to the city's Planning & Development department.

C0lFxMD.jpg

9to98mG.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 3

From the Planning Commission Meeting today. I have not gotten a chance to watch it but here are additional images/drawings. Once the meeting is posted tomorrow, I'll respond with what the public said in the public hearing and what planning staff had to say. 

image.png.ba6aa73425331c72c515826c4af66a33.pngimage.png.484c83712cead2c8ea9471c99e21de94.pngimage.png.6be11d4b77a82d217c28fcc8889fde81.png

• Like 9

On 6/19/2023 at 7:15 AM, trymahjong said:

So 6 storied boutique hotel built in funky mythological not the least historic  location and let me guess..........all sheathed in chrome and glass......

Nouveaux  architecture seems so ubiquitous nowadays.............couldn't anyone at the developers  firm broke out of their box and used this opportunity to make something fabulously Montrosian? 🧐🤨😒😕

My guess would be that the boutique hotel will be sheathed in cheap stucco. It seems to be the material of choice for these franchise hotels and apartment buildings. 

My second guess is there will be a crew out on scaffolding in less than three years repairing said stucco.

Well it's a shame there is no neighborhood........Audubon  historic or avondale historic or whatever...that would have a bit of influence on how new residences are built. Businesses are one thing- but new residences that paid tribute to older architecture would make for a more pleasing aesthetic. Or perhaps more of a bite back on the cost payback.......it would be great if it were more difficult/costly  to tear down useful houses and throw up 6cheap townhomes on same property. This is what( my historic home preservation tunnel vision?) I've observed within Avondale anyway. 

Cannot say that I’m excited to see a hotel set right in the middle of all the bars that like to visit. But, the design concept certainly could be worse. It’s not as if the developer was trying to squeeze in a Holiday Inn Express.  Location notwithstanding, I like the design. 

• Like 3

On 7/13/2023 at 5:25 PM, bobruss said:

My guess would be that the boutique hotel will be sheathed in cheap stucco. It seems to be the material of choice for these franchise hotels and apartment buildings. 

My second guess is there will be a crew out on scaffolding in less than three years repairing said stucco.

franchise?  Do we have any indication the will be a franchised hotel?

1 hour ago, Houston19514 said:

franchise?  Do we have any indication the will be a franchised hotel?

The developer while at the planning commission said that they intend to operate it themselves, but didn't mention anything about the branding itself. 

If anyone wants to submit a written comment about the hotel, then email speakercomments.pc@houstontx.gov by July 26 and 2:30 PM. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trymahjong said:

Just a few things I heard at Neartown meeting:

Still 57 rooms ($200-$800 a night)- still seven stories but one side of building is taller than other.

Developers won't go for LEED certification.

might offer " neighborhood memberships" for discounts on hotel rooms or access to swimming pool etc

The trucks that replenish  food and drinks will be able to pull in completely off street

no huge lighting poles

they will willingly abide by noise ordinances

cars will be individually stacked in parking lot

no huge meeting room nor restaurant, instead smaller venues inside and outside areas will be offered.

Any pushback by the neighborhood? I'm hearing a lot on FB

• Like 1

5 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Any pushback by the neighborhood? I'm hearing a lot on FB

Not the way you would expect.......there were only a very limited residents that lived very close by. The potential of deliveries, over lighting, and deliveries. These questions seemed adequately answered. Seemed like folks were very pragmatic........" the devil you know" kind of thing. 
But "setting a precedent "..... 7 story hotel next door to cottages and bungalows is a scary thing in older neighborhoods.

for myself.....I want a best case scenario => this developer wants to be part of Montrose....the reality and the myth, Iguess.  But being listened to is HUGE for neighbors, having a few concessions made? Neighbors are charmed!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, hindesky said:

Planning Commission deferred this for 2 weeks. Some opposition by the public but also has some who approved of it. One person was worried about it affecting a possible future bikeway on Stanford St.

Affecting Bikeway on Stanford........maybe it's because the other side of Stanford won't be improved just left as an open ditch.
IMO that bikeway on Stanford is a Curious thing. .I'm wondering how that notion of Stanford bike trail, dove tails with multiple bicycles trying to cross one after the other at the proposed "improved" intersection at Stanford and Westheimer on the lower Westheimer proposals ....you know that center island thingy with narrow pedestrian crossing but no left turns for traffic.

Property owners in that neighborhood have torn down many old homes to build blocks of parking lots surrounding the bars, those parking lots are ugly.  I don’t want to see another empty lot converted to another parking lot or more townhouses. I think having a hotel located there would be good for some of the businesses in area. 
I don’t recall any objections from the neighborhood when the Montrose Collective was built.

Edited by cityliving
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2