Gossamer Hotel At 702 Hyde Park Blvd.

trymahjong

Owner on HCAD is listed as Mighty Equities Venture Capital/Private Equity firm from Austin.

They own a few lots in the area:

702 Hyde Park

704 Hyde Park

708 Hyde Park

2406 Stanford (the house next to the parking lot aka 702)

1753 W Alabama (A fourplex or duplex?)

1749 W Alabama (A single family next door, that is two lots down from HEB)

So yes, they have four contiguous lots right there. I'm guessing something is going in and a bar makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Death by a thousand cuts. Montrose is disappearing before our eyes. 

That was pretty inevitable once the gays could move anywhere in town without issues, and promptly did so. Old Montrose doesn't appeal to many people willing to pay the prices those properties bring. Sad in many ways, but not surprising.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One of my kids attending Rice, did a few archeology digs as part of class curriculum. I don’t remember all the locations; maybe one up north in Sam Houston State Park, maybe one in Galveston. I pass these two razed lots and wonder if anyone thought  ( without thinking realistically about costs or development postponement) todo a dig here…….not for anything historic really…..just to see what a 100 year old neighborhood would cough up.

• Like 2

Of course my house is intact but I discovered 2 things while spading my yard a few years back…..a small statuette of St. Joseph and what looked to be a dogs jaw bone. I found out, previous owners were professional dog handlers and if a dog passed it was buried in yard.

uh…. No more yard spading for me- lol. 

My home was totally renovated beginning in 1999 right down to studs; didn’t think I’d ever find any artifacts. But in attic towards the original kitchen chimney were two cut glass ceiling light covers wrapped in 1914 newspaper. Guess these were overlooked during renovations. I left them where I found them. Now, I,ve decided to leave a 2005 artifact ( year we bought) and a note about our family, for next owner to find. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2022 at 6:56 AM, trymahjong said:

I discovered 2 things while spading my yard a few years back…..a small statuette of St. Joseph and what looked to be a dogs jaw bone.

Pretty good! All i ever found was a pack of Lucky Strikes from the 1950's behind some wallboard. 

On 4/4/2022 at 6:56 AM, trymahjong said:

Of course my house is intact but I discovered 2 things while spading my yard a few years back…..a small statuette of St. Joseph and what looked to be a dogs jaw bone.

Just curious - was St. Joseph buried upside down and facing the house? And do you know how long the house had been on the market?
(not that I'm a believer in this stuff, but....)

• Haha 1

• The title was changed to 2 Houses On Hyde Park Demolished
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to 2 Houses On Hyde Park
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, trymahjong said:

So I heard a few details.....

This will be boutique hotel- 50 or rooms.

They want to blend with neighborhood.

A parking garage is proposed.

They went to Montrose TIRZ to get help with variances.

Do you know of a link to more information?

• The title was changed to 2 Houses On Hyde Park Blvd.
  • 7 months later...

On 3/2/2022 at 7:24 AM, wilcal said:

Owner on HCAD is listed as Mighty Equities Venture Capital/Private Equity firm from Austin.

They own a few lots in the area:

702 Hyde Park

704 Hyde Park

708 Hyde Park

2406 Stanford (the house next to the parking lot aka 702)

1753 W Alabama (A fourplex or duplex?)

1749 W Alabama (A single family next door, that is two lots down from HEB)

So yes, they have four contiguous lots right there. I'm guessing something is going in and a bar makes sense.

As noted in above posts, the landowner (Mighty Equities LP) of 702 Hyde Park Blvd and 704 Hyde Park Blvd also owns the following parcels:

• 708 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 714 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 2406 Stanford St

For reference, below is a parcel map with the aforementioned properties outlined:

90kuwfA.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 1

The develops hosted big meet and greet with Avondale Civic- also had Q&A.

$300. a night, coffee shop, employee off street parking etc etc etc - then developers reached out to Neartown. My guess will probably introduce themselves at future Neartown meeting.

BTW guess developers wanted to provide more off street parking and tried to purchase Ripchord- but it wasn't for sale.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 1

Spotted on Nextdoor: a variance request notice for Hyde Park Hotel. 

Developers are seeking to combine the following parcels into one parcel for the proposed hotel (discussed in several posts):

• 702 Hyde Park Blvd

• 704 Hyde Park Blvd

• 708 Hyde Park Blvd

• 714 Hyde Park Blvd

• 2406 Stanford St

https://nextdoor.com/p/Xm4HkkmMbTLh?view=detail

CvTWHL4.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, IntheKnowHouston said:

Developers are seeking to combine the following parcels into one parcel for the proposed hotel (discussed in several posts):

• 702 Hyde Park Blvd

• 704 Hyde Park Blvd

• 708 Hyde Park Blvd

• 714 Hyde Park Blvd

• 2406 Stanford St

CvTWHL4.jpg

Additional details for the proposed boutique hotel were posted to Nextdoor. The post pertains to the variance request for Hyde Park Hotel (name of the plat up for consideration):

The developers met with Avondale Association... to share plans. 53 rooms, parking on the first two floors. A coffee shop and two restaurants will be in the development. Pool on the rooftop.

As previously posted, the landowner is G & G Hospitality. They're based in Arkansas.

http://www.gghospitalitygroup.com/projects

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

As noted in above posts, the landowner (Mighty Equities LP) of 702 Hyde Park Blvd and 704 Hyde Park Blvd also owns the following parcels:

• 708 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 714 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 2406 Stanford St

For reference, below is a parcel map with the aforementioned properties outlined:

90kuwfA.jpg

5 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

• 702 Hyde Park Blvd

• 704 Hyde Park Blvd

• 708 Hyde Park Blvd

• 714 Hyde Park Blvd

• 2406 Stanford St

CvTWHL4.jpg

Below is the proposed Hyde Park Hotel plat recently submitted to the Planning & Development Department.

Developers are seeking to combine the following parcels into one parcel:

• 702 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 704 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 708 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 714 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 2406 Stanford St

fkBuOtt.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trymahjong said:

BTW guess developers wanted to provide more off street parking and tried to purchase Ripchord- but it wasn't for sale.

What were they thinking? I mean, the hotel guests need to have a place to hang out at that's nearby.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/13/2023 at 4:57 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Additional details for the proposed boutique hotel were posted to Nextdoor. The post pertains to the variance request for Hyde Park Hotel (name of the plat up for consideration):

The developers met with Avondale Association... to share plans. 53 rooms, parking on the first two floors. A coffee shop and two restaurants will be in the development. Pool on the rooftop.

As previously posted, the landowner is G & G Hospitality. They're based in Arkansas.

http://www.gghospitalitygroup.com/projects

Following the variance request posted to Nextdoor, some residents are voicing their concerns. One of the developers chimed in about the proposed hotel. The hotel will be located on the lot that currently consists of the following parcels:

• 702 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 704 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 708 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 714 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 2406 Stanford St

Below is the developer's comments (not necessarily about the variance pertaining to 10 ft setback on Stanford, but the proposed hotel) :

Please look at what has been torn down. I promise you won’t feel the same way... I’ll take the heat but let’s sit down in a group and talk about it. I’d love to share the vision. It’s worth a sit down to talk constructively. I have seasoned this with both civic associations and the super neighborhood. We are not trying to sneak this through. I’m open to meet anyone who is concerned in person. I won’t shy away from anyone who is threatened by this. But come to the conversation with an open mind because some of the greatest cities in the world have a great mix of hospitality and residential uses connected together in a way that is accretive to the culture and dynamic of their neighborhoods. We want to build community and be an extension of your living room, we want to hire from this neighborhood where we also live, and we want to be good and caring neighbors. We are not looking to marginalize or replace groups in the neighborhood. We support the LGBTQ community as half our team designing this very hotel is from the community. There is no way we will win every heart, but if we don’t win the vast majority, then we won’t build it. 

In regards to a conceptual rendering, the developer isn't ready to share it online. He did tell residents he's open to sharing it with them offline over coffee.

• Like 4

On 11/4/2022 at 5:21 AM, trymahjong said:

So I heard a few details.....

This will be boutique hotel- 50 or rooms.

They want to blend with neighborhood.

A parking garage is proposed.

They went to Montrose TIRZ to get help with variances.

On 6/13/2023 at 4:47 AM, trymahjong said:

The develops hosted big meet and greet with Avondale Civic- also had Q&A.

$300. a night, coffee shop, employee off street parking etc etc etc -

On 6/13/2023 at 4:57 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below are additional details about the proposed boutique hotel on the 700 block of Hyde Park Blvd (The proposed address for the hotel is 704 Hyde Park Blvd). The details are included in the variance request submitted to the city's Planning & Development department.

Developers of the proposed hotel are seeking a 10 ft setback on Stanford St.

The hotel will be located on the lot that currently consists of the following parcels:

• 702 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 704 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 708 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 714 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 2406 Stanford St

The applicant is requesting to not dedicate the 5 feet of widening for Stanford Street on the East side of the property. The applicant is proposing a 10-foot setback on Stanford Street that will allow for an increased pedestrian realm, outdoor seating, and landscaping.

The proposed Hyde Park Hotel is to be constructed on the 700 block of Hyde Park Boulevard. This site is unique in that it is located on Stanford, a minor collector. The proposed hotel site is only 750 feet from the nearest major thoroughfare, Montrose Boulevard, making the proposed Hyde Park Hotel extremely accessible.

The land uses immediately surrounding the proposed hotel site are primarily bars and restaurants excluding three townhomes to the East on Stanford Street, three single-family townhomes and two multi-family developments to the West on Crocker Street, and two single-family developments and one multi-family development South on Hyde Park Boulevard.

The following bars [and restaurants] are located within 1 block of the proposed hotel site: Ripcord, George, Eagle Houston, Buddy's, Lola's Depot, Crocker, and Barnaby's Café.

The proposed 52-key boutique hotel is a luxury 7-story design under 75 feet tall, that complements the Montrose Neighborhood and the surrounding community. The proposed hotel is surrounded by a lush landscape...and features a beer garden, a restaurant, 3 bars, and a rooftop pool. The food, beverage, and entertainment amenities total approximately 25,000 square feet, which includes the pool.

The proposed Hyde Park Hotel has two driveways. One driveway with access to Stanford Street for deliveries and another driveway with access to Hyde Park Boulevard leading to the 54-car parking garage. The entrance to the hotel is located on the south side of the site on Hyde Park Boulevard, a local street. The additional 25 offsite parking spaces will be available west of the site on Crocker Street.

About the proposed 10 ft. setback 

• The proposed Hyde Park Hotel was assembled by purchasing multiple parcels, but was unsuccessful in securing the entire block. The developer has tried to purchase the entire block but has designed the proposed hotel to fit on the approximately half-acre plat with a 52-key hotel. The three townhouses on Stanford street were platted in 2014 and were not required to dedicate the 5 feet of ROW for the widening of the minor collector. The applicant is proposing a 10-foot setback on Stanford Street that will allow for a larger quality pedestrian realm, outdoor seating, and landscaping. The pedestrian realm and overall walkability of the proposed hotel would suffer from a reduction of 5-feet of ROW...The developer requires the full 10 feet on the East side of the property to create a quality walkable pedestrian realm.

• Like 3

Site plan of the proposed boutique hotel's first floor. The hotel will be located on the 700 block of Hyde Park Blvd. According to the site plan, the hotel's address will likely be 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

This is included in the variance request submitted to the city's Planning & Development department.

The site plan indicates a 52-parking garage on the corner Crocker St (located on the 708 Hyde Park Blvd and 714 Hyde Park Blvd parcels). However, in the variance request submission, developers state plans for a 54-parking garage.

j122kcU.jpg

• Like 5