Gossamer Hotel At 702 Hyde Park Blvd.

trymahjong

On 9/10/2023 at 9:54 AM, clutchcity94 said:

My guess is that the Menil Foundation has other longer term plans for the surface lot, so they don’t want to build a more “permanent” parking garage. Just a hunch.

This is assuredly the case. I saw a master plan for the Menil 8 or 9 years ago and there are several other dense developments planned. Obviously plans change but the folks at the Menil are not going to short change their patrons, benefactors, and community.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, swtsig said:

This is assuredly the case. I saw a master plan for the Menil 8 or 9 years ago and there are several other dense developments planned. Obviously plans change but the folks at the Menil are not going to short change their patrons, benefactors, and community.

I can’t wait for them to build something facing Richmond Ave. That fenced off area kills my vibe since I live a block south of Richmond and could otherwise easily walk to the Menil.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A somewhat stunning change to the plans for the Hotel at the Planning Commission meeting. It went from a 50+ rooms for the hotel to 80 rooms for it and included a parking garage which will have room for 85 cars. They did away with the event center to accommodate the neighborhood and the number of people it would attract. There was no notification required to the neighbor due to city regulations and thus the Planning Commission felt the developers needed to contact the neighbors to get their input. They deferred it till the later January meeting even though their staff recommended approval.

Same height of the building but the reduced parking in the building and removal of the event space increased the number of rooms available. Also the increase of a larger parking garage with more parking moves more parking from the hotel.

tGgE4NX.png

3mmFGI9.jpg

zz68B1z.jpg

Gg4TRyz.jpg

NHYakCg.jpg

w2sQRaw.jpg

Hhsw8n0.png

• Like 6

I know some people in the neighborhood don't like this project but these types of developments are what the city of Houston uses to incentivize further improvements for the area such as better sidewalks, streets, etc. That mentality may change when Prob B goes into full effect and the city isn't having to convince some guy in Sugar Land that we need better infrastructure. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 4

On 12/23/2023 at 3:57 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I know some people in the neighborhood don't like this project 

At the second Planning Commission when it was approved there were a majority who did want it and they outnumbered those who didn't 2/3 to 1/3 and this was people who lived in that area.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/13/2023 at 6:39 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

As noted in above posts, the landowner (Mighty Equities LP) of 702 Hyde Park Blvd and 704 Hyde Park Blvd also owns the following parcels:

• 708 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 714 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 2406 Stanford St

For reference, below is a parcel map with the aforementioned properties outlined:

90kuwfA.jpg

As mentioned (or included with a photo), Mighty Equities also owns the following parcels:

• 807 Fairview Ave
  • 2406 Crocker Sr

The parcels are for a proposed parking garage for the hotel planned at 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

In September, Mighty Equities acquired 2310 Stanford St.

On 6/13/2023 at 7:05 AM, IntheKnowHouston said:

Below is the proposed Hyde Park Hotel plat recently submitted to the Planning & Development Department.

Developers are seeking to combine the following parcels into one parcel:

• 702 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 704 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 708 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 714 Hyde Park Blvd
  • 2406 Stanford St

fkBuOtt.jpg

On 12/21/2023 at 4:52 PM, hindesky said:

3mmFGI9.jpg

Current site of the proposed Hyde Park Hotel at 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

This is included in materials submitted to the Planning Commission for this week's meeting.

O8tQfvy.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 4:04 PM, Justin Welling said:

From the Planning Commission Meeting today. I have not gotten a chance to watch it but here are additional images/drawings. Once the meeting is posted tomorrow, I'll respond with what the public said in the public hearing and what planning staff had to say. 

image.png.ba6aa73425331c72c515826c4af66a33.png

Drove view of the proposed site for the hotel planned at 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

I think this is an updated image, but I could be wrong. This is included in documents submitted to the Planning Commission for this week's meeting.

XmX9zKG.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 4:04 PM, Justin Welling said:

From the Planning Commission Meeting today. I have not gotten a chance to watch it but here are additional images/drawings. Once the meeting is posted tomorrow, I'll respond with what the public said in the public hearing and what planning staff had to say. 

image.png.6be11d4b77a82d217c28fcc8889fde81.png

w2sQRaw.jpg

Larger view of the program massing diagram fore the proposed Hyde Park Blvd hotel. The hotel is planned for 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

Fm7Ir89.jpg

• Like 1

A somewhat stunning change to the plans for the Hotel at the Planning Commission meeting. It went from a 50+ rooms for the hotel to 80 rooms for it and included a parking garage which will have room for 85 cars. They did away with the event center to accommodate the neighborhood and the number of people it would attract. There was no notification required to the neighbor due to city regulations and thus the Planning Commission felt the developers needed to contact the neighbors to get their input. They deferred it till the later January meeting even though their staff recommended approval.

Same height of the building but the reduced parking in the building and removal of the event space increased the number of rooms available. Also the increase of a larger parking garage with more parking moves more parking from the hotel.

29 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

In September, Mighty Equities acquired 2310 Stanford St.

In addition to the proposed parking garage on the 807 Fairview Ave and 2406 Crocker St parcels, there will be additional parking nearby. According to a letter included in documents submitted to the Planning Commission, parking will also be available on the 2310 Stanford St parcel.

The parking garage and additional parking is for the proposed hotel planned for 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

Below is text from the submitted letter:

The Planning and Development Department has previously approved the proposed Hyde Park hotel located at Hyde Park Blvd and Stanford Street.  The Planning Commission gave its approval of the hotel site plan last summer in 2023 for a 52-room boutique hotel, which included an accompanying bar with exhibit space for small conventions.

After approval by the City Planning Commission and after reviewing comments from the city as well as residents in the area about reducing traffic, the exhibit space was deleted from the design and replaced with additional hotel rooms, which now total 80-room hotels. This change allows for less traffic without two exhibit spaces and helped reduce building size as well.  The Staff requested we reach out to the previous residents to let them know about  these adjustments. Since the variance approval we have acquired more land to build a parking garage and additional parking for the hotel as well as providing parking to the public. There are no variances for parking; in fact, the new 80-room hotel will exceed the minimum parking requirements and will provide 111 parking spaces. No changes were made on previously approved setbacks or ROW dedication; these variances have been approved and are not changing. 

All boxes to the left are owned wholly by Mighty Equities, providing more parking than city required. The parking garage will also provide additional parking for the public not going to the hotel.

jwg2qwp.jpg

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

Based on documentation submitted to the Planning Commission, it seems the name of the proposed Hyde Park Blvd Hotel may be Gossamer.

The name is referenced in the Academic Business Project's preliminary scope statement. Academic Business Project is a collaborative program between University of Houston Hilton College Graduate Program and Mighty Equities.

The possibly named Gossamer Hotel is planned for 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

• Like 1

oh my, Gossamer, you say.....?

hmmm I'm wondering if there is a signifant number of kids from looney tunes Saturday mornings in the 60's that see that word and think oh.....

BTW, I heard Mighty  Equity purchased another property north of Fairview for additional parking.

not sure of location.

IMG_2007.png

35 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Based on documentation submitted to the Planning Commission, it seems the name of the proposed Hyde Park Blvd Hotel may be Gossamer.

The name is referenced in the Academic Business Project's preliminary scope statement. Academic Business Project is a collaborative program between University of Houston Hilton College Graduate Program and Mighty Equities.

Strange name for a hotel considering what the word means 🤣

Gossamer Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

1: a film of cobwebs floating in air in calm clear weather
2: something light, delicate, or insubstantial

Seems like one would not want to associate a hotel with cobwebs!

14 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

hmmm I'm wondering if there is a signifant number of kids from looney tunes Saturday mornings in the 60's that see that word and think oh.....

BTW, I heard Mighty  Equity purchased another property north of Fairview for additional parking.

not sure of location.

IMG_2007.png

And this association doesn't make much sense, either!

Cool that the Hilton School is involved, however.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Gossamer Hotel At 702 Hyde Park Blvd.

I've always thought the Looney Tunes guys never missed a chance to use a few " tongue in cheek"  gags ( like finding out the biggest guy you've ever seen is named Tiny) so a devilish dervish named Gossamer, would fit right in.

Probably tho  when thinking up a name for their boutique hotel, the guys at Mighty Equity were thinking of something romantic, and jazzy like the Cole Porter lyrics:

....a trip to the moon on gossamer wings

....just one  of those things

17 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Maybe it's to evoke fluffy, happy, jazzy clouds of relaxation, or something.  Like Cole Porter wrote:  "a trip to the moon on gossamer wings."

It seems like most of the recent hotel (and other) brands seem more about how the companies want you to feel about a product, and are substantially disconnected from the actual product.

I don't see a Moxy Hotel dressed up like Betty Boop giving a cop a kick and some lip after driving a bank robbery getaway car.

I found a discussion on Wordsmith concerning   Gossamer

Shakespeare no less .......still an unusual choice for hotel branding. I might have suggested Reverie ......🙃

Romeo and Juliet, Act 2, Scene 6

FRIAR LAURENCE These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume: the sweetest honey
Is loathsome in his own deliciousness
And in the taste confounds the appetite:
Therefore love moderately; long love doth so;
Too swift arrives as tardy as too slow.

[Enter JULIET]

Here comes the lady: O, so light a foot
Will ne'er wear out the everlasting flint:
A lover may bestride the gossamer  <====
That idles in the wanton summer air,
And yet not fall; so light is vanity.

King Lear, Act 4, Scene 6

EDGAR Hadst thou been aught but gossamer, feathers, air,
So many fathom down precipitating,
Thou'dst shiver'd like an egg: but thou dost breathe;
Hast heavy substance; bleed'st not; speak'st; art sound.
Ten masts at each make not the altitude
Which thou hast perpendicularly fell:
Thy life's a miracle. Speak yet again.

On 1/23/2024 at 3:55 PM, trymahjong said:

Probably tho  when thinking up a name for their boutique hotel, the guys at Mighty Equity were thinking of something romantic, and jazzy like the Cole Porter lyrics:

....a trip to the moon on gossamer wings

....just one  of those things

9 hours ago, editor said:

Maybe it's to evoke fluffy, happy, jazzy clouds of relaxation, or something.  Like Cole Porter wrote:  "a trip to the moon on gossamer wings."

Cole Porter's lyric is the first thing I thought of as well. I'm starting to suspect that the target market for this hotel is either old, gay, or both. 

The Planning Commission approved the variance.

Overwhelming support from the neighborhood and only 1 opposition worried about potential electrical vehicles fires in the parking garage.

F1I0DOC.png

l5XTCHS.png

T51nmMz.jpeg

UaLK6Qw.jpeg

ob94abq.jpeg

Z74SCM2.jpeg

DzsVtga.jpeg

OxoGOXh.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 6

On 1/23/2024 at 1:29 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

On 1/23/2024 at 1:53 PM, trymahjong said:

On 1/23/2024 at 2:08 PM, mattyt36 said:

Strange name for a hotel considering what the word means 🤣

Gossamer Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

1: a film of cobwebs floating in air in calm clear weather
2: something light, delicate, or insubstantial

And this association doesn't make much sense, either!

Based on the phrasing in the submitted document to the Planning Commission, my assumption is the name of the proposed Hyde Park Hotel at 704 Hyde Park Blvd is Gossamer.

I included a screenshot of the document below.

https://plattracker.houstontx.gov/edrc/RevDocDefault.aspx?AppID=0&UserID=0&UserRole=0&CycleDocPath=2024\2024-02_FinalAgenda.pdf

Appendix I: University of Houston Hilton College Graduate Program

Preliminary Scope Statement

• Business problem or opportunity description:

The primary objective of the Academic Business Project with The Mighty Equities is centered on the research of applications of the strategic direction for demand forecasting and operational strategies in the local luxury boutique hotel industry. In an attempt to create values of the boutique hotel "Gossamer" in Houston, challenges exist. Market, business environment, customers and competitors, and resources and organizational structure and operational characteristics are different, so that it is more than important to find the way to secure unique, one-of-a-kind, luxury, and differentiated value that can be shared by multiple stakeholders in a sustainable manner. For the business feasibility, this project ultimately encompass key competitive advantages of Gossamer. Market analysis and demand forecasting for (1) sales and revenue forecasting and (2) differentiated operational strategies will be included to secure competitive advantages. To create value that can be shared, understanding and comprehending local market is paramount. To correctly suggest strategic plan for the new boutique hotel, this project will include market feasibility, demand and sales forecasting, dynamic capabilities and flexibility analysis. With economic impacts and sales forecasting in a given market, business feasibility can be highlighted and opportunity seeking can be highly supported. On top of it, multiple operational strategic suggestion can be provided based on the results of a series of analyses in this project. Based on huge success on this project, further topics will be explored as a continuous collaboration with the Mighty Equities.

4ArCVmq.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2024 at 1:29 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

The [hotel's] name is referenced in the Academic Business Project's preliminary scope statement. Academic Business Project is a collaborative program between University of Houston Hilton College Graduate Program and Mighty Equities.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:08 PM, mattyt36 said:

Cool that the Hilton School is involved, however.

More on Academic Business Project, the collaborative program between University of Houston Hilton College Graduate Program and Mighty Equities's forthcoming hotel possibly named Gossamer. The hotel is planned for 704 Hyde Park Blvd.

The information below is included in material submitted to the Planning Commission.

The developers have already partnered with the University of Houston Hilton College to create the sole academic business project for the Global Hospitality Business graduate program. This will provide University of Houston Graduates with crucial experience in the hospitality industry. It is also the goal for the staff to have access to benefits and resources such as onsite daycare. The proposed hotel will act as a resource and hub for the neighborhood and community and the developers are researching neighborhood memberships for the amenities for the proposed hotel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“We want this hotel to not only be for people traveling to come through. This should be an extension of your living room,” Patel said. While it’s too early to say what the room rates would be, he expects room rates to vary from about $300 to $1,000 a night, depending on room sizes and the season.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/montrose-hotel-hyde-park-houston-plans-18626036.php

Edited by editor
Edited for copyright reasons. Do not copy and paste. Summarize and link.
  • Like 5