If you don't want a Wal-Mart next door, then stay inside the loop. High land prices scare them off. Target is another story. If you don't want a Target next door, then choose not to live next to freeways or large tracts of old warehouses. Is due diligence too much to ask of home buyers?

Personal due diligence story: I was looking at a lot in a really "rustic" nook of 3rd Ward. I came very close to buying it. I envisioned a tall narrow structure built of unpainted windowless concrete cinder blocks and a rooftop terrace. The character of the neighborhood was still completely intact, unaffected by any new development for at least a few decades. The juxtaposition of this structure in this particular neighborhood would have been awe inspiring. I'd probably have had to install bulletproof and tinted glass on my car, but that'd be worth it considering the low cost of construction. Before buying the lot, I looked through as much material about the neighborhood as I possibly could, only to find that a nearby street had become the most likely alignment for the next light rail line. Bad news. That meant that within a few years, I'd have developers disrupting my perfect little nook with faux-style structures, also completely out of context with the neighborhood. And my local landmark would simply become another ugly townhome, only the worst of the mix because it'd no longer be unique and would be judged in the context of its newer neighbors. This is an outcome that I did not desire, so my plans changed. I'm now considering completely different in a completely different location.

Such is Houston. If you are short on ideas, perhaps it does make sense for the government to tell you how to run your life. If you're creative and can come up with plans A through Z, not getting too emotionally attached to any one concept, then you can live life as a king.

As for landmarks, they weren't built for you or I. They were built for the tenants that would pay for them. If the tenants no longer exist, and you or a group of like-minded people aren't willing to pay for them, then they have no one to exist for...except of course the Harris County Tax Collector or the wrecking ball. Only the one or the other.

Would love to live inside to loop but can't yet afford it. I still don't think that in densely-populated areas, there's anything wrong with preventing people from doing things on their property that creates a nuisance or grossly affects property values for others in the immediate area. Also, due diligence is not the same thing as prescience, and at least zoning gives the home buyer some idea of what type of development to expect in a given area over time. In a way, I guess you could say that zoning empowers the buyer's choice because it enables potential buyers to determine exactly what will be the nature of development in a given area over time before deciding to buy there. I also think there are certain properties worth preserving as part of our cultural and historical heritage even if the market response would be to demolish them.

Sorry, I guess I just don't buy into the whole libertarian thing. People who do go in for that sort of thing ought to live out in the mountains somewhere where the effects of their actions won't impact anyone else. In such cases, by all means people should be free to do what they like!

I have read everyone's ideas on this topic. It seems that no matter what direction Houston goes someone is going to be unhappy. We complain about Houston not being dense enough, now we development that is helping to increase population density in areas that were run down. Now people want us to preserve areas. It's as though we want our cake and eat it too! We need to understand that sometimes you have to give a little to to get alot. We should be happy to see areas of the city that are run down being redeveloped. Developers may not build your ideal House but it is ideal to someone. This city is filled with 2+ Million individuals.

Remember that Houston has the ability to be all things to all people. If you want perservation move to the Heights, if you want urban move to the Med Center, if you want unique suburban move to the Woodlands. if you want quirky move to Montrose, if you want upscale move to River Oaks.

People worry about too many things. Simply enjoy Houston for what it is. If you don't like move some where else. <_<

Also not to bash Dallas, but I lived there for 2 years and after coming back to Houston i realized that in Houston you can live in a different part of the city and feel as though you are in a diiferent city. In Dallas every thing feels the same. I wonder if zoning has anything to do with that. :rolleyes:

The Galleria area and vicinity stretching to the west side is probably the center of Houston's populaton density. From an urban standpoint, density does not always equal urban. The areas that hug the Strand in Galveston are probably the most urban areas in the whole metropolitan area. No "dense" garden style apartment complexes or stucco/metal live above garage townhomes required.

I think this topic is a perfect example that Houston as a whole is not architecturally unified as to what housing style's ideal for da '36 City. To me, the answer to sohomod's topic question is that it's just another case of the Urban vs. Sprawl debate.

We've alwayz on HAIF (and at our homes) had discussions about why Houston couldn't become a more urbanized city. The reason is obvious: not everyone can live in a house. We LOVE our big houses at affordable prices, backyards, front yards, and no neighbors upstairs, downstairs, or beside us complaining about our loud music or in the bedroom making...um...how can I put it mildly...do things a Texan just shouldn't admit doing at Sunday Confession.

It's a developer's dream to build these townhomes over former houseland because it's less space for the same price to rent out, meaning more tenants. It sucks personally, because more Woodland/Sugarland/Grand Lakes style neighborhood need to be developed within Houston city limits. The whole city isn't that expensive land wise. There's enough rundown neighborhoods within Houston city limits that could be redeveloped into grand megahomes at an affordable price than a townhome park that looks underpar (not all look underpar, but there's enough out there to complain about).

Another thing. Why couldn't these same developers spend that same money from land for a townhome park on a high-scale looking skypark apartment complex with two-story spaces within and a affordable price? In Houston, something like that could be affordable. If it were, say, New York, the land prices would make this type of place unrealistic to invest in. It could be a way for Houston to have yet another style of housing dedicated to this region. Just imagine an apartment/loft that's the same style as Museum Tower, but you'd have two-stories of it, plus it'd be in a 15-story building within a sky community with 19 other buildings just like it.

Think it's impossible? I'm staying at a complex in Korea (luxury style), with 60 20-story buildings (yes, 60 buildings). All one story, of course, but the place is making mad profit and is the hottest trend of living in Korea. MAD space inside, as well (1000 to 4000 sq ft per apartment is available at that complex). NOTHING is impossible. Take it to the limit. These developers need to stop with their mediocre townhomes and start thinking quality and making $4 over normal and making $5. THEN their property will be something to talk about.

Another thing. Why couldn't these same developers spend that same money from land for a townhome park on a high-scale looking skypark apartment complex with two-story spaces within and a affordable price? In Houston, something like that could be affordable. If it were, say, New York, the land prices would make this type of place unrealistic to invest in. It could be a way for Houston to have yet another style of housing dedicated to this region. Just imagine an apartment/loft that's the same style as Museum Tower, but you'd have two-stories of it, plus it'd be in a 15-story building within a sky community with 19 other buildings just like it.

Think it's impossible? I'm staying at a complex in Korea (luxury style), with 60 20-story buildings (yes, 60 buildings). All one story, of course, but the place is making mad profit and is the hottest trend of living in Korea. MAD space inside, as well (1000 to 4000 sq ft per apartment is available at that complex). NOTHING is impossible. Take it to the limit. These developers need to stop with their mediocre townhomes and start thinking quality and making $4 over normal and making $5. THEN their property will be something to talk about.

I'm not sure that I'm following you..."high-scale looking skypark apartment complex"? "Two-story spaces"? Got any photos or renderings?

Btw, bear in mind that land acquisition anywhere that's already built out is extremely difficult. Building that many buildings in any concerted pattern is damned near impossible unless you're talking about The Woodlands or on a large tract of green space.

I'm not sure that I'm following you..."high-scale looking skypark apartment complex"? "Two-story spaces"? Got any photos or renderings?

Btw, bear in mind that land acquisition anywhere that's already built out is extremely difficult. Building that many buildings in any concerted pattern is damned near impossible unless you're talking about The Woodlands or on a large tract of green space.

The two-story apartment space was wishful thinking, but the skypark style apartment/loft complex is the real deal Holyfield. 60 20-story buildings in all. I'll send pix soon as I can. Apparantly these style places are possible to build thanx to a large amount of investors with a vision. I only suggested offering two story spaces within high rises to give Houstonians what they want...space. Don't think it'd happen anytime soon in Houston, though.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, I guess I just don't buy into the whole libertarian thing. People who do go in for that sort of thing ought to live out in the mountains somewhere where the effects of their actions won't impact anyone else. In such cases, by all means people should be free to do what they like!

Well, the whole libertarian thing is, indirectly, why most people come to Houston in the first place. If the idea of your neighbors doing what they want on their property terrifies you, I suggest *you* move to the mountains where you won't have any neighbors to worry about and control.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

the libertarianess of houstons development makes it more fun anyways. with zoning it would be all nice yet boring, not all mixed up and interesting.

It may be too bad these old homes have to go, but then again these new townhomes are saving hundreds and hundreds of acres of farmland from becoming suburbia at least in the time being(you cant really stop houston sprawl).

And besides, they dont look that bad, in fact i think they are really nice looking. Also, this is houston, people are not going to flock en mass to restore and live in these shitty old houses that are tiny. Houston is surrounded by towns full of little houses like those that arent going anywhere soon.

Edited by zaphod

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Improvements will include: street furniture,...

Should be interesting to see if this will attract even more homeless. The homeless population sure has increased in the last 3-4 yrs around Hermann Park.

It is nice to walk around Hermann Park, look in thick bushes and see old luggage. Its almost as bad as Downtown. every 100 feet "Excuse me, spare some change/cigarette/$50.00?".

• 2 weeks later...
It is nice to walk around Hermann Park, look in thick bushes and see old luggage. Its almost as bad as Downtown. every 100 feet "Excuse me, spare some change/cigarette/$50.00?".

some of it has to be an effect of Palmer Church's waystation project:

http://www.palmerchurch.org/content.asp?Mo...play&id=168

it is a good service, but it only works for the AM hours

• 1 year later...

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tickets go on sale at 5:30 p.m. in front of the Clayton Genealogical Library at 5300 Caroline. The tour begins at 6:00 p.m.

Tickets are $10 per person ($7 for GHPA members and students with valid ID). Children 11 and under are admitted free. Reservations are not required.

Explore one of Houston's lesser-known historic neighborhoods during Greater Houston Preservation Alliance's 90-minute guided walking tour of The Binz.

The area was developed in the 1910s and grew along with nearby Rice University. Some of Houston's most prominent architects created significant homes in the neighborhood, such as the Georgian style house at 5300 Caroline completed in 1917 for businessman and statesman William L. Clayton. Birdsall P. Briscoe designed the house, which Clayton left to the City of Houston for use as a library.

Please note, this is an exterior architecture tour only. The tour will not go inside any houses.

For more information, go to the GHPA website or call 713-216-5000.

• 2 months later...

I live in the museum district as well, and it sucks that the museum district doesn't really have any good cafes or bars. I really wish there was somewhere I could quickly walk to. I think your closest bet would be somewhere on Montrose.

Diedrich's, has wifi but you can't get beer, only coffee. Depending on where you live, that may or may not be out of walking distance, it's at least a mile and a half walk from where I live.

I used to go to Tropioca in Midtown but lately it seems to now be closed at random times and it isn't reliable enough to go to anymore unless I just happen to be driving by. The manager told me they were moving to another location in midtown but he would not tell me where. Also not a beer place though.

I also used to go to Cafe Artiste in Montrose but that place has also closed.

:(

For beer, you might want to try the Black Labrador Pub on Montrose. Not sure if they have wifi but maybe the wifi from the library/cafe next door reaches into the pub.

Your best bet for close wifi and beer will probably be Montrose, or midtown as the closest options, and also Rice Village.

Also check out Agora on Westheimer near Dunlavy.

I live in the museum district as well, and it sucks that the museum district doesn't really have any good cafes or bars. I really wish there was somewhere I could quickly walk to. I think your closest bet would be somewhere on Montrose.

Diedrich's, has wifi but you can't get beer, only coffee. Depending on where you live, that may or may not be out of walking distance, it's at least a mile and a half walk from where I live.

I used to go to Tropioca in Midtown but lately it seems to now be closed at random times and it isn't reliable enough to go to anymore unless I just happen to be driving by. The manager told me they were moving to another location in midtown but he would not tell me where. Also not a beer place though.

I also used to go to Cafe Artiste in Montrose but that place has also closed.

:(

For beer, you might want to try the Black Labrador Pub on Montrose. Not sure if they have wifi but maybe the wifi from the library/cafe next door reaches into the pub.

Your best bet for close wifi and beer will probably be Montrose, or midtown as the closest options, and also Rice Village.

Also check out Agora on Westheimer near Dunlavy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did a little research on my own, and noticed that Maple Leaf has WiFi in Midtown. I like that place, so that seems reasonable.

And I also wish the Museum District had a few more cafes or bars. It's all townhomes and museums....although that isn't so bad.

Yeah could be worse, it could be all big box stores and parking lots... :)

Maple Leaf is cool - especially since i grew up in Canada! They even have a Canadian album on the juke box by the Tragically Hip!

I love The Tragically Hip! They lent their music to one of the Mac podcasts (Powerpage I think).

I live in the Museum District and would love to find a place where I could go sip on a beer with my laptop. Does anyboddy know any neighborhood joints nearby? Or is the closest option somewhere in Rice Village?

If you're hard-up, try the cafe in the basement of the MFAH. The have a limted selection of wine and beer and claim to have wi-fi.

• 2 months later...

Yeah Cafe Express has wifi, I used it on my iPhone the other day when I was waiting for my takeout.

I also recently saw a sign on the ground floor of the building next to the Park Plaza Hospital that said "restaurant/bar coming soon". The name was something like "bodega" and I think it said it was going to be Mexican! It will be nice to have another restaurant within walking distance of my apartment.