Anyone know what this project is, its scope of work, its objective? I am not even sure where it is. "South Street at Myrtle to Quitman"? I could not find it on the map. I am guessing this is a medical center area project but ???? Its budget is almost $6 mil in the Houston CIP.

looks like it's east of i10 and 45. (w of n main)

Edited by musicman

looks like it's east of i10 and 45. (w of n main)

I'll look there. The reason I am asking is that The Woodlands is paying for some of the project and I would like to know what we are paying for. Houston consistently has followed the pattern with other projects we have helped pay for but this one escapes me entirely. The projects are supposed to be regional in benefit, mostly related to the medical center and parks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yeah could be worse, it could be all big box stores and parking lots... :)

Maple Leaf is cool - especially since i grew up in Canada! They even have a Canadian album on the juke box by the Tragically Hip!

Freak'in illegals from Canada :P

• 3 months later...
imo, i dont like it.....

if they were looking to do a "latin-american" twist, it should be in the east end, not in the museum district...

and im mexican so i mean no offense....

and from the pic in the blog, it looks irish to me

If the LATIN AMERICAN ART EXHIBIT that these crosswalks are highlighting were located in the East End, as opposed to the Museum District, I might be tempted to agree with you.

And I'm a Houstonian, so I mean no offense.

If the LATIN AMERICAN ART EXHIBIT that these crosswalks are highlighting were located in the East End, as opposed to the Museum District, I might be tempted to agree with you.

And I'm a Houstonian, so I mean no offense.

yes i did go to the link, but are these just around the Museum of Fine Arts, or all around the Museum District? If its just by the museum, than im ok with it, you know art by the art museum fits. BUT if its everywhere, thats a different story.....

yes i did go to the link, but are these just around the Museum of Fine Arts, or all around the Museum District? If its just by the museum, than im ok with it, you know art by the art museum fits. BUT if its everywhere, thats a different story.....

From the article....

The five crosswalks that connect the buildings of the Museum of Fine Arts (Houston's central campus) have been painted in a variety of zebra strip patterns as part of the "North Looks South: Building the Latin American Art Collection" exhibit currently on display at the Caroline Wiess Law Building.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the Museum of Fine Arts with my Canadian relatives today and they really liked the painted crosswalk. Plus, I felt safer with these colored crosswalk. Houston is not the most pedestrian friendly city so it gives an added protection from the drivers. :)

• 1 year later...

I was at a conference, the Houston Summit for the Creative Economy, a few weeks back (I think it was Oct 22nd) and some people were discussing the potential for a shuttle bus/jitney loop which could carry museum-goers from facility to facility with ease. Just park your car at any of the member institutions and hop on and off the bus to visit the facilities.It might especially be popular with tourists...

What do you all think of this idea?

While it doesn't go door to door, the 34 Montrose bus is within walking distance (or an easy bike ride) of many of Houston's museums. Most buses have bike carriers.

I hope Metro will consider adding evening and weekend hours, and more frequent runs to the 34 route. An unrestricted day pass would also be an incentive for people to museum, restaurant and bar hop the neighborhood.

The Art Cart works well in Dallas. It's basically a 14-passenger golf cart. It travels around the Arts District taking people between restaurants at One Arts Plaza and the art facilities (and even to the DART station). People hop on for a drink before the opera or for an express ride down Flora Street. What makes it successful is that it is free and easy to hop on and off. There are talks of adding more of these small shuttles around downtown.

http://artsplazaevents.blogspot.com/2009/11/art-cart.html

Art+Cart.JPG

Edited by dfwcre8tive

Nice idea - but I'd question an open air vehicle in Houston.

During rain and during winter, the sides are covered in plastic much like a golf cart would be. It's more approachable than a dark van/shuttle bus (it doesn't scare the suburbanites), it's relatively inexpensive (LINK), and there's no emissions or noise. It's not a solution for anything longer than a few blocks (Dallas had to make some changes for it to be street legal) but it has been an interesting experiment. You see similar -- but not as stylish -- electric shuttles at amusement parks or fairs.

Edited by dfwcre8tive

Not sure a golf cart-like vehicle would suffice. As most of you probably know, the 'museum district' as a coordinating body covers institutions within several square-miles, including (for example) the Menil. I think this would require one or more standard shuttle buses.

Edit: Perhaps two types of routes. One could be a local 'art cart' in the 'core' district bordered roughly by 59, La Branch, Hermann Park and Montrose. Another could be a wider route that carries passengers to and from: this core museum district, Bayou Bend/Rienzi, the Menil/Montrose District, and the DT theater district. I would think that would be appealing to residents and tourists alike and could really help to boost Houston's reputation as a center for the arts (in general).

Yes, I know that the rail goes between the museum district and the theater district, but I think that having people look to two distinct routes for this need wouldn't be very pleasant for them. Much easier to say, "Hop on the Arts Bus and it'll take you there" rather than "Oh, well... to get to such-and-such a place, you'll need to take the rail but to get to this other place, you should take that bus."

Edited by Simbha

• 5 weeks later...