X Houston: Residential High-Rise At 5501 La Branch St.

Urbannizer

7 hours ago, bobruss said:

Thats what the banners are for. I don't want to see murals painted on any of the fine arts buildings. Paint on the Mies building. No way. Or the Moneo no. There are plenty of sculptures around the campus . They are about to add an impressive work by last years Venice Bienalle U.S Representative Simon Leigh to the Kinder building near the entrance to the sculpture garden. That is going to be quite and  accession, that will add to the already wonderful outdoor public sculpture garden which anyone can walk through for free. Lets save murals for ugly cinderblock walls and leave the world class architecture alone. I dont think Mies, Moneo or Holls would think very highly of someone slapping a bunch of paint on the sides of their buildings.

Don't disagree with your take on murals. But calling the Audrey Jones Beck building "world class architecture" is a stretch. The thing is a concrete block. 

On 6/29/2023 at 5:56 PM, editor said:

I think the best place for new murals in Houston is the giant blank concrete walls of the MFA/H.

They own the rights to so many great paintings inside.  Why not showcase them on the outside, and liven up the area? 

On 7/8/2023 at 10:24 PM, Valhalla said:

Don't disagree with your take on murals. But calling the Audrey Jones Beck building "world class architecture" is a stretch. The thing is a concrete block. 

The Beck Building is not concrete.

On 7/8/2023 at 2:48 PM, bobruss said:

Thats what the banners are for.

What banners?  The few banners that only exist on one small section of one small street, while the rest of the building presents a blank face to the world?

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 2.32.13 PM.png

Is it a National Guard armory?  Is it a prison?  Is it a central chilling station?  There's certainly nothing about it that tells me that it's either a museum, or that it has any interest in welcoming the public.  It's perhaps the most artless art museum I've seen.

Prime advertising space.  Put a big Corn Poppy on it.

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 2.35.10 PM.png

Nothing to see here, citizen.  Move along.

As a point of reference, I am a paying member.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2023 at 2:35 PM, editor said:

What banners?  The few banners that only exist on one small section of one small street, while the rest of the building presents a blank face to the world?

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 2.32.13 PM.png

Is it a National Guard armory?  Is it a prison?  Is it a central chilling station?  There's certainly nothing about it that tells me that it's either a museum, or that it has any interest in welcoming the public.  It's perhaps the most artless art museum I've seen.

Prime advertising space.  Put a big Corn Poppy on it.

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 2.35.10 PM.png

Nothing to see here, citizen.  Move along.

As a point of reference, I am a paying member.

People with minimal observational skills can probably figure it out by reading the words carved into the stone (and yes, the building is stone, not concrete).

• Like 1

spacer.png

^^^ X-HOUSTON is aiming to become a phenomenal, remarkable, magnificent, state-of-the-art residential venue for houstonians.  this venue is not only going to be absolutely gorgeous, it's going to become a fun-filled residential venue for patrons that love life.  "X" marks the spot...

Edited by monarch
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

People with minimal observational skills can probably figure it out by reading the words carved into the stone (and yes, the building is stone, not concrete).

There's a scene in game of thrones where Tywin tells joffrey that no true king has to say "I am king!"

If you have to write art museum on your building to distinguish it from a central chilling station, then you're probably doing something wrong. 

I went to the contemporary art museum in DC and there was an exhibit that was just a blank white canvas. The Beck museum is the architectural embodiment of that canvas. 

Edited by Valhalla
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/25/2023 at 4:14 AM, Valhalla said:

There's a scene in game of thrones where Tywin tells joffrey that no true king has to say "I am king!"

If you have to write art museum on your building to distinguish it from a central chilling station, then you're probably doing something wrong. 

I went to the contemporary art museum in DC and there was an exhibit that was just a blank white canvas. The Beck museum is the architectural embodiment of that canvas. 

Did you mistake that canvas for a central chilling station?  Editor probably would have.  ;-)

I doubt there have been five people who have ever mistaken the Beck Building for a central chilling station.  This whole conversation is ridiculous.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

How is this conversation ridiculous? People expect their art museums to be well . . . artistically redeeming. The only thing that separates the Beck building from any other nondescript building is the fact that it has "art museum" written all over it. My only point is that the Beck museum is nothing more than an architectural mediocrity.

• Like 2

Based on the latest drawings by @Paco Jones I believe they have already deviated from designs with the way they have done the garage, I am sure there other changes they have made to the building. That's a lot of masonry/bricks to add to the product. Also, I wonder if they will cover the other side of the garage or leave it open.

Kind of looking forward to seeing what else they have changed as they build this thing up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, X.R. said:

Based on the latest drawings by @Paco Jones I believe they have already deviated from designs with the way they have done the garage, I am sure there other changes they have made to the building. That's a lot of masonry/bricks to add to the product. Also, I wonder if they will cover the other side of the garage or leave it open.

Kind of looking forward to seeing what else they have changed as they build this thing up.

^^^ i would have to concur with your assessment @X.R. i have also noticed the subtle changes to the initial renderings/concepts of this burgeoning development.  i was of the mindset that the MIDDLE OPENING AMENITIES areas were going to be all glass as the original renderings illustrated.  however, i am now noticing that they seem to be inclosing some areas that i thought would be entirely opened with glass.  nonetheless, we never really did get to reference the VERY LATEST renderings/concepts of this development right before they initiated actual construction.  i was hoping that we would...

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 11:52 AM, Big E said:

The Ashby doesn't look so bad now, does it?

They're both very "." to me. My biggest issue is that the average area resident will probably see both as reasons to oppose future development, even though the real story in both cases suggests the opposite.