X Houston: Residential High-Rise At 5501 La Branch St.

Urbannizer

I agree that NIMBY is mainly to blame, however, the developer doesn't necessarily have clean hands either.

• They could EASILY paint it with some kind of mural
  • They could add some kind of green element like the ION garage
  • They could add panels

They could/should have done numerous things with the garage that wouldn't have cost them as much but they decided to leave it completely exposed. I'm holding my final judgement until its finished because I still have hope that they'll put ANYTHING on that garage. Literally if they paint the garage black and put glass on the openings (like the Porsche garage on 59), i'll be happy. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Apparently, the plan is to paint a great mural on the garage like the X Denver.

2020-05-07_x_denver_rendering-02.jpg

X-Denver-300.jpg

^^^ ...says who?  as you may attest above, the original renderings/concepts for the X DENVER... illustrated the painted mural style parking garage design.  however, the initial as well as current renderings/concepts (that we have all witnessed thus far) for the X HOUSTON... does not indicate any design elements of this particular nature.  do you harbor any inside info...?

45 minutes ago, monarch said:

2020-05-07_x_denver_rendering-02.jpg

X-Denver-300.jpg

^^^ ...says who?  as you may attest above, the original renderings/concepts for the X DENVER... illustrated the painted mural style parking garage design.  however, the initial as well as current renderings/concepts (that we have all witnessed thus far) for the X HOUSTON... does not indicate any design elements of this particular nature.  do you harbor any inside info...?

Says a partner at the X Company when I reached out to them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Says a partner at the X Company when I reached out to them. 

^^^ much obliged @houstontexasjack for your prompt response.  however, may you please reach out once again to your "partner at the X company" for a more current/recent concept/rendering of the X HOUSTON?  as i do recall, once construction began on the X HOUSTON, we really did not receive a more CURRENT concept/rendering.  i would love to see this.  aren't you curious as well regarding the painted mural parking garage...?

When I went by the site all the workers where in a safety stand down due to a high pressure gas leak. It was really loud so I made a little video of it. All the streets around it were blocked off and HFD was going to cap it off.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, thatguysly said:

This one is becoming very visible from 288. Love pointing out construction to my wife as we drive and she pretends to be interested.

I know the feeling most people don't care 😂😭😂

• Like 8

On 5/8/2023 at 8:15 AM, thatguysly said:

This one is becoming very visible from 288. Love pointing out construction to my wife as we drive and she pretends to be interested.

Same. Then I describe what it's going to be, and she asks "how do you know all this stuff?!" 😏

Edited by aachor
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

It looks like they are done with the garage portion of it? 

The garage looks different than the drawings, does it not? It seems like they took it upon themselves to make that change. Wonder if they looked at Boone Manor and just decided to copy the look to an extent, because they both use that grey brick to cover portions of the garage. If they did something similar to Boone, I'm not excusing the podium, but it wouldn't be the worst. Also, it a bit funny if they decided to deviate for the better because its almost like they got shamed into doing it because of the quality of the other residential buildings in the area. 

3 hours ago, cityliving said:

The design of the building definitely sucks but I guess in a city like Houston developers can build whatever they want because there is no zoning.

Zoning and regulation won't give you good architecture. 

D.C. has strict zoning regulations and the Federal Government has more money than God, and yet they managed to poop this out. I don't know what's worse, the FBI's HQ, or a 10-story storage building in Houston. And I don't even hate brutalism. 

Washington DC, FBI - panoramio.jpg

• Like 1

The 'developers' were the Federal government and they could build whatever they wanted (within the Federal height regulations for DC) and they are not subject to city zoning regulations.

I didn't like the building when it was built but it did win lots of awards at the time (some guy named J. Edgar was very proud of the building). Taste change. People change. Zoning controls have nothing to do with this (or most) designs.

I'm not talking about the FBI building. I'm talking about X Houston, the building this thread is about.

The original design was better, but the planning commission did not grant them a variance for it.

In other words, this design is an explicit response to development regulations as applied by the City.

Edited by Texasota
  • Like 3

On 5/15/2023 at 3:58 PM, cityliving said:

The design of the building definitely sucks but I guess in a city like Houston developers can build whatever they want because there is no zoning.

On 5/15/2023 at 5:25 PM, Brooklyn173 said:

Zoning has little impact on good versus bad design. An apathetic market that accepts whatever is dished out is what truly impacts the zeal for better design. If cheap and bland sell, then give 'em cheap and bland.

On 5/16/2023 at 7:26 AM, Texasota said:

This building is literally worse than it could have been because the city *didn't* let the developers "build whatever they want". 

Definitely agree with the bottom two posts, it does seem that a true "live-let-live market utopia" could actually have produced a sleeker, sexier, walkable building than what we are getting.

The current parking minimum exemptions only encompass Downtown, as well as parts of Midtown and East End, meaning that this building in the Museum District was still subject to the regulations. As a result, the developers were forced by the city to include lots more parking (in garage form) than they would have desired.

Parking mandates need to die citywide.

Edited by __nevii
  • Like 5