X Houston: Residential High-Rise At 5501 La Branch St.

Urbannizer

On 5/26/2023 at 8:27 AM, __nevii said:

Definitely agree with the bottom two posts, it does seem that a true "live-let-live market utopia" could actually have produced a sleeker, sexier, walkable building than what we are getting.

The current parking minimum exemptions only encompass Downtown, as well as parts of Midtown and East End, meaning that this building in the Museum District was still subject to the regulations. As a result, the developers were forced by the city to include lots more parking (in garage form) than they would have desired.

How can we know that (unless you have inside information from the developer or it was stated in some filings or public hearing)?  I think the impact of the lifting of parking minimums on residential development is often exaggerated.  For example, under the city's parking minimums, Brava downtown would have been required to provide 538 spaces.  Their garage has 517 spaces, a mere 3.9% reduction.

Back to X Houston, I'm curious about their parking.  The building is said to have 460 parking spaces and 475 units.  Under the standard multifamily residential parking requirements, even if all the units were efficiencies (which they are not; there will be  1 BR, and 2 BR in addition to studio/efficiencies), they would be required to provide 594 parking spaces. Did they get a waiver or something?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

How can we know that (unless you have inside information from the developer or it was stated in some filings or public hearing)?  I think the impact of the lifting of parking minimums on residential development is often exaggerated.  For example, under the city's parking minimums, Brava downtown would have been required to provide 538 spaces.  Their garage has 517 spaces, a mere 3.9% reduction.

Back to X Houston, I'm curious about their parking.  The building is said to have 460 parking spaces and 475 units.  Under the standard multifamily residential parking requirements, even if all the units were efficiencies (which they are not; there will be  1 BR, and 2 BR in addition to studio/efficiencies), they would be required to provide 594 parking spaces. Did they get a waiver or something?

They're within the TOD area that would allow for up to a 50% reduction in code based parking.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, HNathoo said:

They're within the TOD area that would allow for up to a 50% reduction in code based parking.

That, and non-exempt areas elsewhere across the city influenced the observed so-called "market-demand" within the exempt areas.

Hence, as mentioned prior, the true experiment will come with killing parking-mandates city-wide (yes, even for territories like Kingwood and Clear Lake City).

Edited by __nevii
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, __nevii said:

That, and non-exempt areas elsewhere across the city influenced the observed so-called "market-demand" within the exempt areas.

Hence, as mentioned prior, the true experiment will come with killing parking-mandates city-wide (yes, even for territories like Kingwood and Clear Lake 

Very interesting.  Thanks for the links.  I like the direction Houston is going on this; of course it would be nice if they could step up the pace of expanding market-based parking and doing away with the minimums.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, __nevii said:

Hence, as mentioned prior, the true experiment will come with killing parking-mandates city-wide (yes, even for territories like Kingwood and Clear Lake City).

Let’s start with market-based parking throughout the Inner Loop.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, houstontexasjack said:

Let’s start with market-based parking throughout the Inner Loop.

What you are describing is most likely the execution as-per the Houston Climate Action Plan guideline (released in 2020): market-based efforts extending first to the Inner Loop, before moving into the Beltway 8 zone in the mid 2020s, and then total elimination city-wide as per the noted 2030 deadline.

But you might as well go for a full YIMBY approach and eliminate the minimums on the spot, soon as possible. Several upcoming mayoral candidates have been involved with city council and/or METRO transit, so there's some foundation — however SJL is probably the most well-known name in the race, so hopefully she isn't NIMBY.

Edited by __nevii
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, __nevii said:

What you are describing is most likely the execution as-per the Houston Climate Action Plan guideline (released in 2020): market-based efforts extending first to the Inner Loop, before moving into the Beltway 8 zone in the mid 2020s, and then total elimination city-wide as per the noted 2030 deadline.

But you might as well go for a full YIMBY approach and eliminate the minimums on the spot, soon as possible. Several upcoming mayoral candidates have been involved with city council and/or METRO transit, so there's some foundation — however SJL is probably the most well-known name in the race, so hopefully she isn't NIMBY.

Starting with the Inner Loop seems more politically feasible. My experience is that many laypeople think “market parking” means “no parking” would get built with new developments, when that’s not the case (look at Texas Tower, Brava, et al in Downtown). Starting with the Inner Loop helps drive that point home.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, houstontexasjack said:

Starting with the Inner Loop seems more politically feasible. My experience is that many laypeople think “market parking” means “no parking” would get built with new developments, when that’s not the case (look at Texas Tower, Brava, et al in Downtown). Starting with the Inner Loop helps drive that point home.

Fair — though the final say would be through city council of course, as per previous processes.

By the way, "market-based parking" is actually a good phrase to describe the process: not only would there be a lack of face-value language regarding elimination of parking, you'd have even the suburbanite neoliberals, centrists, mild conservatives, etc getting their economo-phillic fancies tickled by the laissez-faire goodness that is "the market."

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

This already has a huge presence from McGovern Centennial Gardens/ Herman park! 

Yep it does! Even by the theater! 

Off topic does anyone think that the gardens will ever be expanded where the current parking lot is?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kennyc05 said:

Yep it does! Even by the theater! 

Off topic does anyone think that the gardens will ever be expanded where the current parking lot is?

In my opinion, not unless they put in a parking deck where the current Zoo parking lot is (or if the do away with the golf course).  Neither of those seems likely in the near term, but perhaps some day.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, htownproud said:

In my opinion, not unless they put in a parking deck where the current Zoo parking lot is (or if the do away with the golf course).  Neither of those seems likely in the near term, but perhaps some day.  

The Hermann Park master plan shows no changes to it. But I don't think it would be unreasonable to consolidate the parking from it into the planned garage under the playground where the zoo/amphitheater lot is currently.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Looks like a great spot for a mural dedicated to the Museum District

I think the best place for new murals in Houston is the giant blank concrete walls of the MFA/H.

They own the rights to so many great paintings inside.  Why not showcase them on the outside, and liven up the area? 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 5:56 PM, editor said:

I think the best place for new murals in Houston is the giant blank concrete walls of the MFA/H.

They own the rights to so many great paintings inside.  Why not showcase them on the outside, and liven up the area? 

Thats what the banners are for. I don't want to see murals painted on any of the fine arts buildings. Paint on the Mies building. No way. Or the Moneo no. There are plenty of sculptures around the campus . They are about to add an impressive work by last years Venice Bienalle U.S Representative Simon Leigh to the Kinder building near the entrance to the sculpture garden. That is going to be quite and  accession, that will add to the already wonderful outdoor public sculpture garden which anyone can walk through for free. Lets save murals for ugly cinderblock walls and leave the world class architecture alone. I dont think Mies, Moneo or Holls would think very highly of someone slapping a bunch of paint on the sides of their buildings.

• Like 6