Do you think that's blue protective film covering stainless cabinets?

Those are actually blue lacquer cabinets. That is the color that the owner of that unit or the builder chose. The cabinets are by Snaidero (Italian cabinet company) - you can go on their site and see the color options. There are lots of high gloss lacquer color options , flat laquer options, and there are even "car paint finish" lacquer color options in addition to ebony and many other wood finishes. Some of the buyers in the building chose paneled doors with more traditional hardware. There are endless choices with Snaidero and MDA Companies (the builder/developer) allowed the buyers to chose what they preferred without charging for an upgrade. Quite the concept...a fully customized unit (including changes to the floor plan) for the list price.

Edited by sanman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The 2727 Official site has some new pics of the actual inside integrated into the existing pages of their website... I found a few new shots on the following pages, check them out:

http://www.2727kirby.com/Tour_2727Kirby/Photos2.aspx

http://www.2727kirby.com/Amenities/Features.aspx

http://www.2727kirby.com/Amenities/AquaLevel.aspx

http://www.2727kirby.com/Amenities/Lobby.aspx

Hopefully they will add on, or someone else can get more shots of the Aqua Level. The Fitness Center looks really good, and the units are pretty sweet, very modern looking especially the Kitchens.

the interiors are not as nice as i thought they would be. sort of dull and bland looking.

what is the price per sq. foot on these units?

Agreed, however for how its designed the look of the interiors is right on cue. It's supposed to be very modern with lots of neutral tones. It is a condo, and not every unit is sold, so I'm sure someone will come in and have a unit with all wood accents and cabinetry, something much warmer. These units they show may just be demos, or the new residents took the original design without any modifications when they purchased during construction.

Guessing on the price the Penthouse went for around $9 million and is a little over 10,000 sq feet. $900 /sq. ft. shouldn't be a too far off guess.

Is anyone else turned off by the way the gray exterior actually looks? It's a bit cheap in appearance for a building that is supposed to be ritzy. Can you imagine if those gray tiles were a stone of some sort? That would be rich.

The "gray exterior" is actually stainless steel, and as I said for the interior, that's how it supposed to look. This building meets its design model with exception to the western facade atop the building which was lowered down and modified, probably due to cost, complexity, and time (would be my guess). I agree stone would look more snazzy, but the stainless steel panels complete the modern look, and the division between the panels gives it a nice "grid-like" reveal. The whole exterior being all stone would present a look that'd get old really fast imo. Some consolation if you love stone, the western side of the garage levels are completed in stone. ;)

Is anyone else turned off by the way the gray exterior actually looks? It's a bit cheap in appearance for a building that is supposed to be ritzy. Can you imagine if those gray tiles were a stone of some sort? That would be rich.

Completely agree. I pass this builing every day and think the exact same thing. Overall, despite the fact that it is a new highrise, the units do not look impressive whatsoever.

• 2 months later...
I do not like the design for this building. It looks incomplete to me...

Any particular part or element that makes you say that?

I'm just disappointed by the overhang at the top and the change in the original design... that and most of the balconies on the northwest and southwest corners not being all glass, this is the only thing I can think of that makes it look incomplete. I like this building as part of the skyline, but all in all its too "cold" looking for me to ever live in if I struck it rich. B)

I know some people who would be perfectly at home here. That pretty much sums up their personalities.

And thanks for the link lockmat... I've been curious about what more of the Aqua level looks like.

Edited by Geoff8201

Any particular part or element that makes you say that?

The top and facade. The top looks weird (not the hangover part, the curved part); seems as if its missing something. Also the grey exterior looks rather cheap.

It would be great if this was an all-glass building. imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Sarnoff reports today that will be completed within 2 months and that 60 of the 78 condos in the building have been sold. 8 have already closed.

Sold, no. Presold, yes. All this means is that someone put a non-refundable deposit on them at some point over the last couple years. But a lot of bad things have happened to the economy over that time span, and it remains to be seen how many of the presales will convert to sales. Deposits on condos typically aren't so large as to prevent people who are nervous about their source of income from declining to purchase the unit they wanted.

I suspect that a bloodbath will ensue. It won't be as bad as Mosaic's spectacular failure, but it won't be pretty.

Sold, no. Presold, yes. All this means is that someone put a non-refundable deposit on them at some point over the last couple years. But a lot of bad things have happened to the economy over that time span, and it remains to be seen how many of the presales will convert to sales. Deposits on condos typically aren't so large as to prevent people who are nervous about their source of income from declining to purchase the unit they wanted.

I suspect that a bloodbath will ensue. It won't be as bad as Mosaic's spectacular failure, but it won't be pretty.

I don't think Mosaic ever had anything close to that percentage of contracts on their building(s). The article actually mentioned that "just a few units have fallen out of contract". They've had 8 close and another 52 still under contract. Yes, it remains to be seen how many of those will convert to sales. You seem a little eager to find a bloodbath.

• 2 weeks later...

I call it like I see it. And I see a busted condo market from which no building is exempt.

Well, I guess you just have a very negative viewpoint. It's amusing how often our self-proclaimed insiders "call" failures and bloodbaths that just don't seem to materialize. e.g., Metro's red line (by any objective measure, anything but a failure), Houston Pavilions (very premature to be declaring a failure and actually looking pretty good, all things considered), downtown hotels, apartment market, now add 2727 Kirby.

Edited by Houston19514

Well, I guess you just have a very negative viewpoint. It's amusing how often our self-proclaimed insiders "call" failures and bloodbaths that just don't seem to materialize. e.g., Metro's red line (by any objective measure, anything but a failure), Houston Pavilions (very premature to be declaring a failure and actually looking pretty good, all things considered), downtown hotels, apartment market, now add 2727 Kirby.

A negative viewpoint would seem justified given the overwhelming evidence to the effect of that being a condo developer sucks right now. I fail to see why 2727 should be any exception to the general suck.

We can (and have) argued over the success or failure of these other topics in other threads over the course of about the last year. Frankly, it amazes me that you've kept track of all of our arguments. I suppose I should be flattered that our arguments occupy such a memorable part of your life. However, I stand by my conclusions insofar as all of these issues are concerned, and if you should desire to challenge me further, I welcome the opportunity to quarrel. Just not on this thread. None of those issues has any bearing on the success or failure of 2727 Kirby.

A negative viewpoint would seem justified given the overwhelming evidence to the effect of that being a condo developer sucks right now. I fail to see why 2727 should be any exception to the general suck.

We can (and have) argued over the success or failure of these other topics in other threads over the course of about the last year. Frankly, it amazes me that you've kept track of all of our arguments. I suppose I should be flattered that our arguments occupy such a memorable part of your life. However, I stand by my conclusions insofar as all of these issues are concerned, and if you should desire to challenge me further, I welcome the opportunity to quarrel. Just not on this thread. None of those issues has any bearing on the success or failure of 2727 Kirby.

Don't be getting all full of yourself because I remember past discussions. I just have a very good memory. There's nothing special about you, my friend. ;-)

Time will tell, of course, as it always does. But one reason that 2727 MIGHT be an exception to the general suck is that most of its competition did not make it out of the starting gate. There is actually a pretty limited amount of directly competitive product, especially in its neighborhood. And we all know location is everything.

Edited by Houston19514