mgmt of the gables upper kirby told the residents that they are planning a hi rise on alabama somewhere near mission burritos.

I wish Gables would consider another project similar to West Avenue, versus a highrise.

On the other hand, the PM I talked to led me to believe that the boys at MDA were planning to build at least one more tower on Kirby.

Now that's good news! Let's hope demand doesn't wane before they get built

my friend is moving out sometime in the fall. she's in her late 30's and said that she's one of the older people in the entire complex. she's already looking for a house. i think she told me she pays more than 1700/month. ridiculous IMO.

my friend is moving out sometime in the fall. she's in her late 30's and said that she's one of the older people in the entire complex. she's already looking for a house. i think she told me she pays more than 1700/month. ridiculous IMO.

$1,700 for what size? It's ridiculous how much these new projects are charging, and the popular meme is for all midrises to be marketed as luxury properties. At least Upper Kirby is a good location -- I never understood the big swath of midrises up on West Dallas, for instance.

EDIT: I take that last part back. I forgot Regent Square is going up on West Dallas.

Edited by desirous

just spoke with her and stand corrected. over 1800 for 2 br.

:o you've got to be kidding. For 1800 you could get an overpriced, 3-story, AC sucking townhome in a compound with no pool, in Rice Military. (But the windows would still rattle, and you'd be even closer to the train noise).

:o you've got to be kidding. For 1800 you could get an overpriced, 3-story, AC sucking townhome in a compound with no pool, in Rice Military. (But the windows would still rattle, and you'd be even closer to the train noise).

$1800 is underpriced in Rice Military. 1bd/1bath are renting for $1200 min, off memorial and allen parkway up to Memorial Park (Check out Washington Avenue area..$2000 for a 2bd) Rents in Houston are finally reaching those of other "Big Cities" esp. inside the loop. That's the negative when everyone wants a second tier city to develop into a first tier city and increase density.. One person yells "It's about time", One person says "Rent's getting Crazy", Another says "It's getting so cluttered"....."One person hears the train noise..The Other doesn't"

Do you guys think that the apt's at West Ave. will host cheaper rents? (My vote is "NO")

$1800 is underpriced in Rice Military. 1bd/1bath are renting for $1200 min, off memorial and allen parkway up to Memorial Park (Check out Washington Avenue area..$2000 for a 2bd) Rents in Houston are finally reaching those of other "Big Cities" esp. inside the loop. That's the negative when everyone wants a second tier city to develop into a first tier city and increase density.. One person yells "It's about time", One person says "Rent's getting Crazy", Another says "It's getting so cluttered"....."One person hears the train noise..The Other doesn't"

Do you guys think that the apt's at West Ave. will host cheaper rents? (My vote is "NO")

I don't mean renting. For 1800 you can be paying a mortgage. Plenty on the market ITL at around 300k.

Edited by crunchtastic

I don't mean renting. For 1800 you can be paying a mortgage. Plenty on the market ITL at around 300k.

Agreed, but what do you think the places at West Ave will rent for? Not to mention the rentals that will come available at 2727 Kirby...

Agreed, but what do you think the places at West Ave will rent for? Not to mention the rentals that will come available at 2727 Kirby...

Yes, but if you read up the thread--people paying 1800 for The Gables. I would rather live in a 4plex with window units than pay that much for that complex. Seems like the skyrocketing rents would be good business for the townhome market, do you think?

Depends on the size obviously, but I bet it is somewhere north of $2 per square foot. More for the "penthouse", or whatever they call the super-price-gouging-units.

Yes, but if you read up the thread--people paying 1800 for The Gables. I would rather live in a 4plex with window units than pay that much for that complex.

That is utterly nutcase. I don't think any apartment outside a quality, mixed-use development should rent for that much in Houston.

Seems like the skyrocketing rents would be good business for the townhome market, do you think?

I'd hope so, for the sake of sanity. Rents are rising all over. My beloved $820 1/1 at the Rice Hotel is going to get jacked up this November, and I'd have nowhere to run. :lol:

they won't be cheap. I know someone working at the riaro salon on westheimer was stating that west ave is having problems trying to get well known businesses into the project. they had mentioned barney's was being investigateed. sorry for the bad typing, i just took an ambien and can't see much of anything.

she told me that they were wanting 4 in the upper kirby area so you may get that wish.

Isn't Gables involved with the possible development at Shepherd and W Alabama as well? Seems strange, considering the old Little Woodrows site is so close... Haven't heard much on that deal since the land was sold

That's false. Leave it to one of those magazines (Is Icon definitely going under?) to get this basic info wrong. There are units that were below $500k. From what I hear, the prices have been at 500$/ft and climbing

lol...I figured as much. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I recently reviewed the floorplans on the website. Something I don't understand is why all the soldout units are facing south? I would figure the best views would be facing north? What gives? Is there a big premium for a north facing unit?

I have heard the units top out at $500 per sq ft. That would put a 2000 sq ft unit at a cool million - not cheap. Do they count terrace space?

Turnberry seems to offer bigger units for the money, although I suppose

kirby has better views/location. Thoughts?

I recently reviewed the floorplans on the website. Something I don't understand is why all the soldout units are facing south? I would figure the best views would be facing north? What gives? Is there a big premium for a north facing unit?

Hmmm... well, facing south you should get at least partial views of sunrises and sunsets since the sun never gets far enough north to be directly above Houston. The downfall to this is that you have sunshine glaring in your windows for a large portion of the day and that, at least in my opinion, can get annoying.

Facing north you don't get any sun (something I would prefer) and you also get views of Downtown to the east.

Any other ideas? :unsure:

Hmmm... well, facing south you should get at least partial views of sunrises and sunsets since the sun never gets far enough north to be directly above Houston. The downfall to this is that you have sunshine glaring in your windows for a large portion of the day and that, at least in my opinion, can get annoying.

Facing north you don't get any sun (something I would prefer) and you also get views of Downtown to the east.

Any other ideas? :unsure:

Actually the sun will rise/set North of due East/West between March and Sept. and

will rise/set South of due East/West between Sept and March no matter where you are in the world* so a northern and southern side of a building will get equal slim shots at enjoying sunrises and sunsets.

As for views.. @Kirby and Westheimer.. a southern office will get 1 skyline ( Med Center ) and a northern office will get 2 ( northern half of Uptown, and Downtown). They each get a big park to look at.... so I wouldnt say its a matter of the better view either.

.. so i dont know.

*not including the poles of course

Edited by Highway6

• 3 weeks later...

They haven't chopped it up completely, yet. Was over there last night getting milkshakes from Becks Prime, taking in the vast, sky-filling bigness that is progress.

The old Settegast funeral home on the next block is toast also--gallery people we ran into were talking about it. I think it includes the Cafe Express and car wash.

• 2 weeks later...