Also, besides my question re: current sales at 2727, could someone digress a bit about the facade-application process and why some high/midrises apply it after all the floors have been finished while some apply it at (in my uninformed mind) sporadic points in the construction process? It seems to be this way to me regardless of the material applied.

Edited by JWW

Also, I assume the yellow material applied to the sides of the 2727 is insulation? Could anyone state (or speculate) on why that (or whatever material it is) is applied in those areas specifically?

looks like the design doesn't call for windows there.

• 2 weeks later...
2727 Kirby construction topped out this past week. That building is looking amazing!

That really seemed to go up quick... seems like not long ago everyone was saying the project would be cancelled and they would be bringing the crane down.

Wow, a tall structure, surrounded by a new multi-level urban lifestyle center with access to a grocery store within a block radius and in between BLVD Place and Houston Pavilions. It's pretty much a pre-BLVD Place!

BLVD Place will eventually trump this, and sadly the Houston Pavilions should have trumped them both.

At least Houston Pavilions will have Discovery Tower and One Park Place nearby.

Edited by Pumapayam

I like how you can see this building from all over. I see it every day as I bike from Rice to the Med Center, and I see it from my apartment building in the Museum District. It really stands out. It's not part of a skyline or anything, but it is now a very noticeable part of Houston's landscape.

Hmmm - me likes a lot! That photo with the Huntingdon in the background really accentuates the angle of the west side.

I can't remember, will this be taller than the Huntingdon?

Yeah, where's the tree? They need to bring that tradition back. I can remember all of the trees topping all of the new buildings of the 80's.

My guess is that they won't put the tree up until the design element on the west side is completed, not just the habitable floors.

Nope. the tree is up. That's what prompted my post telling everyone it had topped out. It is on the north side of the building, towards the east end, IIRC.

I like how you can see this building from all over. I see it every day as I bike from Rice to the Med Center, and I see it from my apartment building in the Museum District. It really stands out. It's not part of a skyline or anything, but it is now a very noticeable part of Houston's landscape.

So true... it really sticks out.

For once I am satisfied! Can you guys believe it?

Seriously, this thing looks freakin' awesome. I can't wait to see the completed building.

You think it looks great now wait until it's done... seriously... this is going to be one of the most awsome looking buildings in Houston. It seems like just yesterday everyone was talking about how this thing would never get built... and boom, up it went. :wub:

A little bird told me that sales are going well, with some big, big purchases.

Far be it from me to EVER have any inside info, but alas I do.

By chance I met the project manager for 2727 on Saturday, and he mentioned that sales are at almost 80%. He also mentioned that there were several more projects similar to 2727 in the works.

Far be it from me to EVER have any inside info, but alas I do.

By chance I met the project manager for 2727 on Saturday, and he mentioned that sales are at almost 80%. He also mentioned that there were several more projects similar to 2727 in the works.

mgmt of the gables upper kirby told the residents that they are planning a hi rise on alabama somewhere near mission burritos.