I'd love to see the Astros and Rangers in the same division:

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2011/10/12/houston-astros-heading-to-american.html

Houston Astros heading to American League?

by Emily Wilkinson

October 12, 2011

... the key area of dispute in recent weeks has been the proposed American League move.

A move to the American League would put the Astros in the same league as intrastate rival Texas Rangers...

Here's another article about the proposed move:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/story/2011-10-12/astros-potential-owner-disputes-reports-of-move-to-al

Edited by tamtagon

• 1 month later...

Drayton started this mess by firing Hunsicker.

I know I can't blame him for the retirement of Bagz and Bidge.. But I can blame crap management for putting us in the situation which forced us to then trade away anyone else we fans might care about.

Our senior statesmen (6 yrs) are Wandy, who will be traded soon and a fat poopy head, slow, overpaid outfielder ( 4 yrs ). The rest of our teams is a bunch of nobodies.

Crane sold us out.

And his BS response in the chronicle on saturday.. " I had no choice, I couldn't have purchased the team without the switch..." THEN don't buy the team poopy headhole !!!

Crane doesn't own the Astros. Drayton didn't own the Astros.

Houston owns the astros. We pay to see the show.. without the fans, there's be no revenue.

I could care two about a forced rivalry with the Rangers. We belong with the Cubs and the Cardinals.

Now we get to stay up to midnight to finish watching away games in Seattle, Oakland, and Anaheim.. teams I could care less about.

The solution to evening out the leagues, based on geography and former affiliation, would be to move Milwaukee back to the AL. If the AL west is too far for them, put them in the central, and put KC in the west.. which is just as far west as us, and a a helluva lot closer to Seattle then us.

I used to go to 15-20 games a season,but no more. Astros are dead to me.

the business model is to keep the payroll as low as possible and get the shared TV and merchandising revenue from the league. If the AAstros win a few games, it's a bonus.

The AAstros have a history of trading away the best players on the team and getting Mark Lemongellos in hopes of building something, which never works out. I'm surprised that Biggio and Bagwell were on the team as long as they were!

The AAstros are a schedule filling team, always have been, always will be.

• 2 weeks later...

I never understood why Selig thought it was such a problem having unbalanced leagues. It's been that way since 1977 and the world hasn't ended yet. Now they have to find a way to have an interleague game every day just so the schedules will work. I also think it's a cheap trick to add another round of playoffs just to sell an additional set of tickets. If MLB doesn't care about it's fans they oughtn't care about it.

• 1 month later...

"Starting in the 2012 season, more than 5,000 seats at Minute Maid Park will have lower prices than in 2011. Adult ticket prices in the outfield deck will be reduced from $7 to $5, and children’s tickets will be $1.

Field box prices will drop from $41 to $29, and seats in a new club level will cost $35, including food credits, down from $46."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2012/01/houston-astros-aim-to-win-fans-with.html

Hopefully we can get more fans in the seats, people in downtown and continue to attract more developments in the area.

"Starting in the 2012 season, more than 5,000 seats at Minute Maid Park will have lower prices than in 2011. Adult ticket prices in the outfield deck will be reduced from $7 to $5, and children’s tickets will be $1.

Field box prices will drop from $41 to $29, and seats in a new club level will cost $35, including food credits, down from $46."

http://www.bizjourna...-fans-with.html

Hopefully we can get more fans in the seats, people in downtown and continue to attract more developments in the area.

And then it will go up again by 2013.

They were $5 not to long ago, maybe 2008.

Oh well.

You can also bring your own food, as long as it is in a clear plastic bag. They're also considering changing the team name (idiotic).

I don't have a problem with them changing the name. Allowing people to bring food is long overdue. I bought weekend season tickets for the Astros for years, but I finally got fed up with the prices, stupid canned 'entertainment', and forced searches for smuggled forbidden food in the name of 'security'. On top of all that, I'm none too please about the move to the AL. It's about time that baseball started giving a thought to the fans if they want to win people like me back.

Nickg, I hope the name change doesn't happen, but the Khou article says its a serious consideration. Whatever the uniforms look like, I hope they have classic and edgy elements.

We'll see what plays out. Truth is I would continue to go either way.

What are other pro teams that have changed their names, Washington Bullets?

It'll feel like we're throwing out our entire history with the name change. Or maybe not. What's the point of doing it anyway, simply to start fresh??? I think food and uniform changes is enough. I don't see a need to change the name.

It'll feel like we're throwing out our entire history with the name change. Or maybe not. What's the point of doing it anyway, simply to start fresh??? I think food and uniform changes is enough. I don't see a need to change the name.

I really don't think they will change it so I am not getting that worked up about it but I agree that it does seem like throwing away history. I have heard several stories and read several articles about the reasoning they would want to and the ones that stuck in my mind for one reason or another were that they were named after the Astrodome and they no longer play there, the potential reduction of NASA in Houston, and that the history they are throwing away is a history of losing.

Edited by Nick_G

I really don't think they will change it so I am not getting that worked up about it but I agree that it does seem like throwing away history. I have heard several stories and read several articles about the reasoning they would want to and the ones that stuck in my mind for one reason or another were that they were named after the Astrodome and they no longer play there, the potential reduction of NASA in Houston, and that the history they are throwing away is a history of losing.

A coworker said they were talking about this on the country music radio stations and one of the reasons people were upset is because they have star or "Astros" tattoos, haha.

The history of losing is a bad reason imo. Every team goes through droughts and they don't change their name to try and change things around. Astros have only lost very recently. Historically, they've done very well.

Despite what you've heard, I still don't understand Crane's reasoning for doing this. They don't make sense. Seems more like he just wants to leave his mark. Isn't he from Houston?

A coworker said they were talking about this on the country music radio stations and one of the reasons people were upset is because they have star or "Astros" tattoos, haha.

The history of losing is a bad reason imo. Every team goes through droughts and they don't change their name to try and change things around. Astros have only lost very recently. Historically, they've done very well.

Despite what you've heard, I still don't understand Crane's reasoning for doing this. They don't make sense. Seems more like he just wants to leave his mark. Isn't he from Houston?

They're all bad reasons. I have a feeling it's just a publicity stunt to get people talking about the Astros, and if that is the case, it has worked.

The Phillies went through a phase as the Bluejays, and for a while in the 1950s the Reds were the Redlegs, so people wouldn't assume they were Communists. The NY Jets changed their name from the Titans.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's not a bad idea to change names to go into the AL. To me the Astros are always an NL franchise. Plus the name 'Astros' is a bit dated.

Jim Crane addressed the fans concern over the possible Astros name change, saying the outpouring of fan mail has been overwhelming and the Astros will remain the Astros.

http://houston.astro...7609543863-1032

So, Jim Crane got everyone talking about the Astros just long enough that there were real emotions felt for the team and for the first time in a while the conversations were not associated with "could this be the worst season for an mlb team ever". He has now put an end to it before people start hating him from the get go.

Maybe there is hope for the Astros under him just yet.

This just shows how short attention spans of fans...or maybe just Houstonians...are. Of all of the MLB teams added during expansion (from 1961 to the present), the Houston Astros have the 2nd highest win total, and 4th highest winning percentage. And, until last season's epic collapse, they had the highest winning percentage of all 14 expansion teams. That is better than Arizona, Florida, and most recently, the Texas Rangers.

• Like 2

This just shows how short attention spans of fans...or maybe just Houstonians...are. Of all of the MLB teams added during expansion (from 1961 to the present), the Houston Astros have the 2nd highest win total, and 4th highest winning percentage. And, until last season's epic collapse, they had the highest winning percentage of all 14 expansion teams. That is better than Arizona, Florida, and most recently, the Texas Rangers.

I agree with you, we even won the pennant in 2005, that was not that long ago. Trying to think in that mentality it might be because there are groups of people who believe if you don't win a championship you don't have a winning team. I wouldn't go as far as say it's only Houstonians that do that but I do think we lack the community team support when compared with areas like Boston or Chicago, who didn't win world series from 1918 to 2004 or are still waiting for a third for almost twice as long as the Astros have even been around, respectively. I'm really hoping Crane can get people in the stands and we can start building momentum and community around the team. Baseball is not the same in front of the TV you really need to be there with a bunch of friends.

Edited by Nick_G