4 hours ago, samagon said:

I didn't see anything, but got to be in a group of a bunch of people yelling.

And HISD cancelled classes for this?

Ft. Bend ISD was open and teaching students

katy ISD was open and teaching students

humble ISD was open and teaching  students

spring Branch ISD was open and teaching students.

IMO, HISD should be ashamed that they failed their students again.

Edited by UtterlyUrban

1 hour ago, UtterlyUrban said:

And HISD cancelled classes for this?

Ft. Bend ISD was open and teaching students

katy ISD was open and teaching students

humble ISD was open and teaching  students

spring Branch ISD was open and teaching students.

IMO, HISD should be ashamed that they failed their students again.

Reports said close to 1,000 teachers and bus drivers in HISD called out for Friday. http://www.houstonpress.com/news/houston-isd-cancels-school-on-friday-because-of-astros-world-series-parade-and-celebration-9928359

Kind of wish they hadn't canceled classes cause then there'd have been less people there and I may have been able to see something.

I did wonder over to city hall after going back to the office to check email, and got a glimpse of the trophy from about 50 yards. 

It was cool though, and in all reality, as far as the party poopers who are disappointed school was canceled. The day will be made up, the schools don't want to lose that funding, and it's an event that happens rarely, life enrichment. 56 years from now when the Astros win another pennant maybe some of these kids who went today will bring their grandchildren to the next one.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to New Astros 2017 MVP Bobble Head
  • 6 months later...

Thanks, Urbannizer. I've been following the Astros through thick and thin since 1965. I don't remember the Colt .45s. The year they became the Astros is about where my awareness of things outside my own little world started.

Like I said, thick and thin but they've been a joy to watch lately. Winning is great but like anything else in life you have to take pleasure in the small things: a great hit, a diving catch, a vicious pitch for a strike-out. Ah, baseball.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, hindesky said:

And they won again. What really chaps my butt is that ESPN ranks them as the 5th best team even though they have a better record than the 4 teams ahead of them.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31208667/mlb-power-rankings-week-1-biggest-risers-fallers-first-week-season

I'm afraid it is all about TV market with ESPN and the other networks. I've seen it before when the 'stros were kicking butt and the announcers treated it like a fluke.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Specwriter said:

I'm afraid it is all about TV market with ESPN and the other networks. I've seen it before when the 'stros were kicking butt and the announcers treated it like a fluke.

It’s still a pretty small sample size. If they keep winning they will move up the rankings. They lost Springer this year and Verlander is just coming back from Tommy John, so I can see why there might be some skepticism about the Astros, but this current roster seems quite capable.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, hindesky said:

AL West standings as of 4/24/21 Saturday night. This is making the rounds online. It spells..... 

With the Angels' logo providing an appropriate visual representation. 

Too bad the 'Stros couldn't manage to complete the sweep yesterday.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Astros