On 7/1/2021 at 10:05 PM, hindesky said:

Dusty Baker said the Astros aren't quite as good a the Big Red Machine but we were an orange wagon.

POrFpgc.png

That's either the world's smallest Volvo wagon, or Altuve has had a spectacular growth spurt.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

That's either the world's smallest Volvo wagon, or Altuve has had a spectacular growth spurt.

If Trevor Bauer wasn't currently a bit distracted, he'd probably be accusing Altuve of using steroids. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 7/4/2021 at 9:49 PM, dbigtex56 said:

I met Altuve about two years ago. I'm 5'-9" and he must be 5'-7" but no less. He doesn't look short standing next to the average person but next to Jordon Alvarez, Aaron Judge, or Carlos Correa . . . By the way, he seemed to be a real gentleman and yes he is a bit shy or at least reserved. 

• Like 3

On 7/13/2021 at 8:10 AM, Specwriter said:

I met Altuve about two years ago. I'm 5'-9" and he must be 5'-7" but no less. He doesn't look short standing next to the average person but next to Jordon Alvarez, Aaron Judge, or Carlos Correa . . . By the way, he seemed to be a real gentleman and yes he is a bit shy or at least reserved. 

That's the impression I've had of Altuve as well; he respects both himself and others.
So far as the different estimates of his height, according to the Chron: "Rollins is listed one inch taller than Altuve, who in at least one weak moment has admitted to being 5-6." 
(I dislike the tone of this remark. It implies that Altuve's stature is some shameful secret. I think he's inspiring.) 

Our collective obsession with physical appearance is concerning in many ways. Height is not necessarily a hinderance in baseball nor even in basketball. Spud Webb and Calvin Murphy come immediately to mind. I don't follow football very closely but I am aware there are running backs who are much shorter than their teammates and opponents who tear it up with their speed and agility.

I will say from watching professional sports over the last half century that the athletes of today seem to be more obviously muscular than their predecessors. You can certainly see that in Jose Altuve's arms.

1 hour ago, Specwriter said:

Our collective obsession with physical appearance is concerning in many ways. Height is not necessarily a hinderance in baseball nor even in basketball. Spud Webb and Calvin Murphy come immediately to mind. I don't follow football very closely but I am aware there are running backs who are much shorter than their teammates and opponents who tear it up with their speed and agility.

It is certainly a hinderance which is why you were able to name very few players. The people who have thrived and are below average height for the sport are the exception and thrive as a result of extreme levels of talent. The pool of potential NBA players that are under 6'0 is WAY larger than the pool that are over 6'5 but the number of players historically that are over 6'5 compared to under 6'0 is a clear indication that height gives you a huge leg up.  Honestly this point isn't even really debatable in basketball and is only debatable in certain positions in the other of the big 3 sports.

Edited by kbates2

On 7/14/2021 at 7:09 PM, dbigtex56 said:

That's the impression I've had of Altuve as well; he respects both himself and others.
So far as the different estimates of his height, according to the Chron: "Rollins is listed one inch taller than Altuve, who in at least one weak moment has admitted to being 5-6." 
(I dislike the tone of this remark. It implies that Altuve's stature is some shameful secret. I think he's inspiring.) 

I do wonder how many short hitters of the past had his power, and what sort of weight lifting/supplements regimen is necessary for that physique. In most eras of baseball history Altuve is either an infield hitter with wicked bunt skills or maybe decides to be a horse jockey instead of baseball. The fact that he is a power hitter with 20 home runs at mid-season is very unusual.

Note that I literally love Altuve and think he's the Astro GOAT.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, kbates2 said:

It is certainly a hinderance which is why you were able to name very few players. The people who have thrived and are below average height for the sport are the exception and thrive as a result of extreme levels of talent. The pool of potential NBA players that are under 6'0 is WAY larger than the pool that are over 6'5 but the number of players historically that are over 6'5 compared to under 6'0 is a clear indication that height gives you a huge leg up.  Honestly this point isn't even really debatable in basketball and is only debatable in certain positions in the other of the big 3 sports.

I concede the argument doesn't hold well for basketball but the level of talent of those few arguably does overcome their below average height. Basketball today (especially NBA and top-tier college basketball) seem much more physical than it did twenty years ago. Advantage: big and strong players.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...