Yeah the lawsuit is against the drunk driver, not Aramark. They don't say just how intoxicated the person was so I don't know how they can blame Aramark. Heck, I'll bet a 1/3 of the people leaving sporting events are legally over the limit. Don't you think?

Just a thought, but the TABC investigation appears to involve the possibility that the drunk was getting his drinks free from an Aramark employee. They might try to get them in the suit that way. However, serving someone free drinks is very likely outside the scope of the Aramark server's employment, so it would be a stretch. Unless they could show Aramark knows that off-duty employees drink free and condones it, they probably would be safe from the lawsuit. Of course, Aramark has the deep pockets, so you always try to get them in the suit somehow.

i believe the story is the one who killed the txdot worker was an aramark employee who was drunk with freebee drinks. at least that's how 13's story was last nite.

True, but the TABC investigation likely centers on the free drinks. It is illegal to give more than one free drink to a customer per day. The employee was off-duty, so he would be a customer on that day. In a normal scenario, this would not be considered a violation worthy of taking the license. It would be an adminstrative sanction, such as a fine. They could also be looking into the serving of an obviously intoxicated patron. This would also be an administrative violation in most cases.

Umm, the lawsuit was filed by the dead TxDOT worker's family against the drunk driver who killed him. Maybe its because I'm a lawyer, but I am absolutely in favor of blaming the drunk who ran over me for my problem with being dead.

No problem blaming the drunk, that's my point.

Just a thought, but the TABC investigation appears to involve the possibility that the drunk was getting his drinks free from an Aramark employee. They might try to get them in the suit that way. However, serving someone free drinks is very likely outside the scope of the Aramark server's employment, so it would be a stretch. Unless they could show Aramark knows that off-duty employees drink free and condones it, they probably would be safe from the lawsuit. Of course, Aramark has the deep pockets, so you always try to get them in the suit somehow.

That's what I meant. It's not Aramark's fault that guy got drunk and killed someone. Even if it was some free drinks thing, you take responsibility for your actions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I can't believe no one has been motivated to start the 2010 Astros topic yet!!!! Wait, 0-7 and less than 2 runs per game so far? Ouch. It would be easier if we could say it was pitching or hitting, but it's both. Ok try to find a positive...no one has more than 1 HR...no pitchers with wins...team leader has 3 RBI (Placido Polanco had 6 in 1 game)...team leader has 2 runs...well they are in the top half of MLB in fielding percentage!...and Oswalt's ERA is decent at 3.75!

This has to be one of the worst starts I've seen in years. I know it's just a small set of games, but dang. I think their success must be indirectly related to the price of beer and other concessions, because there's no logical reason for a professional team to be this bad.

what do you mean, because he hung around so long with his huge contract, keeping us from signing other big free agents?

Or because he was a 'roided up douche? The Astros should have shopped Berkman last year. He's past his prime now and they need young talent in a bad way.

on what merits are you calling him a douche?

So you agree he was at least 'roided up...as for douche, a friend of mine was good friends with his wife/girlfriend (different?) and crossed paths with him at least half a dozen times, and stated that he was a douche. I don't care either way really. I just think he looked like something was up his arse when he batted, like in this excellent rendering by Highway6

Bagwell2.jpg

So you agree he was at least 'roided up...as for douche, a friend of mine was good friends with his wife/girlfriend (different?) and crossed paths with him at least half a dozen times, and stated that he was a douche. I don't care either way really. I just think he looked like something was up his arse when he batted, like in this excellent rendering by Highway6

Bagwell2.jpg

Who knows, maybe he really wasn't nice. He always seemed like a nice guy on camera.

Don't know if he was on roids or not, but would not be surprised if he was.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hatred Index

Using an algorithm designed by Nielsen Co. that measures positive and negative reactions on the Internet, here are the 10 most despised teams in baseball (scale is -5 to 5).

Team Score

1. Cleveland Indians0.9

2. Boston Red Sox1.1

3. Cincinnati Reds1.5

4 Houston Astros1.8

5. New York Yankees1.8

6. Washington Nationals1.9

7. Chicago White Sox2

8. Baltimore Orioles2

9. New York Mets2.3

10. Los Angeles Dodgers2.4

http://online.wsj.co...4180269378.html

Edited by lockmat

The Hatred Index

Using an algorithm designed by Nielsen Co. that measures positive and negative reactions on the Internet, here are the 10 most despised teams in baseball (scale is -5 to 5).

Team Score

1. Cleveland Indians0.9

2. Boston Red Sox1.1

3. Cincinnati Reds1.5

4 Houston Astros1.8

5. New York Yankees1.8

7. Chicago White Sox2

8. Baltimore Orioles2

9. New York Mets2.3

I think the Astros, Reds, Nationals and Orioles are all up there due to apathy rather than hatred. When was the last time you asked yourself, hey I wonder how the old Orioles are doing? I'll tell you when, probably never.

• Like 1

The Hatred Index

Team Score

1. Cleveland Indians0.9

2. Boston Red Sox1.1

3. Cincinnati Reds1.5

4 Houston Astros1.8

5. New York Yankees1.8

7. Chicago White Sox2

8. Baltimore Orioles2

9. New York Mets2.3

The only team I hate is the Cardinals.

I don't hate their fans though. Cards fans are generally pretty fun.

I dislike Boston. Pretty much apathetic towards everyone else. Also, I agree with brijonmang's theory. But I'm not sure how you measure apathy when words are considered, besides, "don't care," "doesn't matter." I guess it was the lack of usage of the word, Astros.

how can any one outside of houston hate the astros?

I mean, we give wins away, and we stock their teams with great players (how many astros have been to and won world series on other teams?).

people in houston shouldn't hate the astros, but the owner, as it isn't a players fault he sucks, and doesn't have any help from his team mates because they suck too.

Edited by samagon

how can any one outside of houston hate the astros?

I mean, we give wins away, and we stock their teams with great players.

people in houston shouldn't hate the astros, but the owner, as it isn't a players fault he sucks, and doesn't have any help from his team mates because they suck too.

LOL

No way we would be rated the same as the Yankees. Their survey must be terribly flawed.

It was not a survey. I guess somehow they searched the internet, looking for keywords associated with each team. That's how I interpret it.

A better explanation of the algorithm might help.

Edited by lockmat

I think the Astros, Reds, Nationals and Orioles are all up there due to apathy rather than hatred. When was the last time you asked yourself, hey I wonder how the old Orioles are doing? I'll tell you when, probably never.

I still say Camden Yards is the best ballpark in the majors, regardless of the Orioles deplorable performance over the last 15 years.

http://www.sfgate.co....SPR21D732S.DTL

The study, the first of its kind, assessed a variety of blog posts and comments, message-board chatter and tweets from April 4 through April 25.

The formula relies on automated screening for a variety of words that could be construed as positive (good, great, like, love, well) or negative (hate, ineffectual, poorly). The method also takes into consideration whether, for example, the word "not" appears in conjunction with the word "good." A positive or negative expression about a particular team had to occur within six to seven words to be counted as a plus or minus.

The company concedes that misspellings, emoticons and nuanced sarcasm cannot be taken into account in the analysis.