Porsche River Oaks: Auto Dealership At 4007 Greenbriar Dr.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Porsche River Oaks: 5-Story Auto Dealership On Greenbriar Dr.
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Porsche River Oaks: 5-Story Auto Dealership At 4007 Greenbriar Dr.
19 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

How does a car dealership get a liquor license? Shouldn't that be illegal?

I guess you're referring to the like between drinking, driving, drunk driving, etc.  But I guess if they can sell booze at gas stations, they can sell it at a car dealer.

Lots of retail spaces get liquor licenses for lots of non-obvious reasons.  For example, a fashion boutique may get a temporary permit if it intends to pour Champagne for guests during a fashion show.  I don't know what the TABC rules are, but I've seen that exact scenario play out elsewhere.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, texas911 said:

Why would it be illegal?

The immediate relationship between driving a car off the lot and being f'd up while doing so. Yeah you can make the argument about gas stations, grocery stores, liquor stores, etc. but those places aren't selling cars. If you're offering drinks as a way to close a sale, I find that pretty irresponsible on all parties. 

43 minutes ago, editor said:

I guess you're referring to the like between drinking, driving, drunk driving, etc.  But I guess if they can sell booze at gas stations, they can sell it at a car dealer.

Lots of retail spaces get liquor licenses for lots of non-obvious reasons.  For example, a fashion boutique may get a temporary permit if it intends to pour Champagne for guests during a fashion show.  I don't know what the TABC rules are, but I've seen that exact scenario play out elsewhere.

Correct but none of those are car dealerships. Enabling drivers before driving off the lot just looks bad in my opinion. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

The immediate relationship between driving a car off the lot and being f'd up while doing so. Yeah you can make the argument about gas stations, grocery stores, liquor stores, etc. but those places aren't selling cars. If you're offering drinks as a way to close a sale, I find that pretty irresponsible on all parties. 

Correct but none of those are car dealerships. Enabling drivers before driving off the lot just looks bad in my opinion

welcome to the standard concept of every bar that has a parking lot.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, samagon said:

welcome to the standard concept of every bar that has a parking lot.

You're missing the greater point of this specifically being a car dealership. I get that other establishments offer alcohol and parking, thanks for that information but my point is this place is enabling drivers to drive off with alcohol in their system. There's def a difference. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

You're missing the greater point of this specifically being a car dealership. I get that other establishments offer alcohol and parking, thanks for that information but my point is this place is enabling drivers to drive off with alcohol in their system. There's def a difference. 

I get where you're coming from, I just don't see a distinction that sets an establishment that enables people to drive a car after drinking a few with another establishment that enables people to drive a car after drinking a few.

to be honest, I would imagine there would be less sloshy driving after visiting a dealership than the normal bar experience. 

• Like 6

Oh my goodness, people.  Back in April the TDLR permit was posted for a renovation/alteration of the building at the back of the property to be an event space/storage area. Project Name:  Porsche River Oaks Pavilion.  Address:  4007B Greenbriar Drive.

We now have a notice of application for "mixed beverage permit with food and beverage certificate" (which means they will also serve a substantial amount of food) on the property currently being renovated, i.e., the event space building (NOT on the completed car dealership building). Address:  4007Greenbriar Drive.  Applicant:  Aramark Business Dining Services / Porsche River Oaks Pavilion.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jmitch94 said:

How is that different than any restaurant? 99% of the people will drive the a restaurant where unsealed alcohol is sold and consumed. 

Yeah, this is a very strange thing to fret about. No one is going to a Porsche dealership to get drunk. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Porsche River Oaks: Auto Dealership At 4007 Greenbriar Dr.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A relative said they saw on the West U neighborhood group that the building is having some serious foundation issues? Coming from a neighborhood online forum, everything must be taken with a grain of salt ., but still thought I would post it. Has anyone heard anything about this? 

• Like 1