Bella Heights: 8-Story Condominiums At 829 Yale St.

Urbannizer

4 minutes ago, NB_Brendan said:

I cannot wait to cover it. I'm beyond excited for the future of this great city. Housing for more and more great, diverse people!

It's really becoming something special. My top projects are East River, the Ismaili Center, and TMC3, not including the new bike lanes and street improvements to a few major thoroughfares. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It's really becoming something special. My top projects are East River, the Ismaili Center, and TMC3, not including the new bike lanes and street improvements to a few major thoroughfares. 

I'm new-ish here and a suburban kid, but gonna have to look into those developments. I have heard of TMC3 and that project is genuinely MASSIVE. Can't wait for it. 

Edit: OMG I want to move to that East River development as soon as possible! Looks beautiful. 

Edited by NB_Brendan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NB_Brendan said:

I'm new-ish here and a suburban kid, but gonna have to look into those developments. I have heard of TMC3 and that project is genuinely MASSIVE. Can't wait for it. 

Edit: OMG I want to move to that East River development as soon as possible! Looks beautiful. 

Nice, well welcome to HAIF! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Purdueenginerd said:

Saw a crew there this weekend. Curious about the QA/QC with several years of water infiltration. I'd be nervous about that from a contractor and design standpoint. 

Same here. Looks like some work has been done? If you compare the recent photo to the posts in February it looks like they have started adding some metal coping to some of the parapets? From looking at the photos it looks like everything has been floated decently on the roof, the larger deck on the next level, and the balconies, but the bigger problem is this project, unfortunately, stopped before most water protection elements like flashing and gutters were finished. I think the "community space"?? on the left will need be refinished since that one wall still has its studs exposed. My biggest concern in a building like this that's unfinished are all the connection points of materials. Would there be anything in this structurally that would be a concern?

If I were running this project the first thing I would do is take all that stucco out. Some of it has held up okay, but I will always be against using stucco in this region. There is just to much moisture in the air in Houston, for stucco to hold up well. Though it wouldn't look the nicest, to keep the budget lean, and to get this back up as quickly as possible, I would probably just go with a fiber cement panel. I'm just wondering what was going to be the finish material that would have been applied to the CMU. Anything could go on that. The CMU doesn't look load bearing, but instead looks like infill. Again water would be a concern right? I don't see a lot of flashing to prevent water from entering any parts of that wall.

I just hope they have hired a good Building Envelope consultant to evaluate everything before closing up this baby.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Luminare said:

Same here. Looks like some work has been done? If you compare the recent photo to the posts in February it looks like they have started adding some metal coping to some of the parapets? From looking at the photos it looks like everything has been floated decently on the roof, the larger deck on the next level, and the balconies, but the bigger problem is this project, unfortunately, stopped before most water protection elements like flashing and gutters were finished. I think the "community space"?? on the left will need be refinished since that one wall still has its studs exposed. My biggest concern in a building like this that's unfinished are all the connection points of materials. Would there be anything in this structurally that would be a concern?

If I were running this project the first thing I would do is take all that stucco out. Some of it has held up okay, but I will always be against using stucco in this region. There is just to much moisture in the air in Houston, for stucco to hold up well. Though it wouldn't look the nicest, to keep the budget lean, and to get this back up as quickly as possible, I would probably just go with a fiber cement panel. I'm just wondering what was going to be the finish material that would have been applied to the CMU. Anything could go on that. The CMU doesn't look load bearing, but instead looks like infill. Again water would be a concern right? I don't see a lot of flashing to prevent water from entering any parts of that wall.

I just hope they have hired a good Building Envelope consultant to evaluate everything before closing up this baby.

If I were structural engineer on this building. I'd be inspecting the bottom of the columns and the beam flanges where water can sit for years corroding. That would be my first goal. 4-5 years of water on steel isnt a killer for most structural steel, but it could be enough to warrant repairs on areas that wouldnt otherwise need it. The CMU probably isnt load bearing, but it might be the lateral system for the condo. I'd ask for a hammer sounding on the CMU blocks that are grouted, and for empty cells, if any, I'd drill holes in the bottom to let water escape. I think as a condo owner, I'd be nervous about mold/organic growth in areas that are no longer accessible, like the stucco air space. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

More activity.  A bunch of cinder block on the ground level got punched out.  I also noticed that the bottom of the parking garage on the south side of the property seems to have continually retained water.  Going to need some popcorn as the attempt to restart and complete this construction goes on.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, toxtethogrady said:

And this thing just made the news. Fraud and racketeering...
Houston Real Estate CEO, Lawyer Named In $15M Fraud, Racketeering Suit
Man, this thing could be in Gaza City...

spacer.png

This is the biggest clusterf---- I have ever seen in the courts or in real estate developments.  When this first hit the fan with Terry Fisher, I read some of the pleadings and had a decent grasp of what the dispute was about.  Now, in what appears to be the main case in Federal court, there are so many different parties, claims, counterclaims, cross claims, third party claims that it is impossible to figure out what is going on without having a 40 foot long white board and a long weekend to go through just the pleadings.  With what the legal bills are in this mess, you could have had enough money to build three of these things.  

I think I am going to organize a class action of Heights residence to intervene in this lawsuit in order to ask the judge for an order requiring the developers to stop f-ing around and finish this piece of sh-- already.  I do still see the occasional crew on this site, but not the kind of activity that would lead me to believe that this is going to get done any time soon.

So I'm a little confused. It looks like most of the events referenced in the suit occurred from 2016-2019, and case is going to trial soon. But this property was actually sold earlier this year, and has had some recent work done replacing some CMU walls and cleaning up the property. So is it still locked up in litigation, or are the current owners free to proceed with work? 

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2023 at 1:47 PM, hindesky said:

New signage for "Bella Heights". Nan & Co Properties is selling/developing them, has them on their website but the "Bella-Heights.com" doesn't exist yet.

https://www.nanproperties.com/developer-services/our-properties/bella-heights

XEvTZAd.jpg

EGZpUEs.png

L4GCRBI.jpg

lfeeGTv.jpg

qKH11Od.jpg

Is that supposed to be a car bumper in the middle of the road in the first render? Pretty accurate for how people drive down Yale so kudos to the artists for that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5