Cambria Hotel At 1314 Texas Ave.

Houston19514

7 hours ago, gclass said:

Great_Southwest_Building,_2008.jpg

^^^ this is the most wonderful news!  great for IRMA'S SOUTHWEST GRILL...

Even better for whatever restaurant goes in Irma's Southwest's former space.  When their move was first announced, there was mention of a possibility of a burger/diner concept going in there.

• Like 4

On 5/15/2019 at 10:56 PM, rechlin said:

Cool find! 

It reminds me that the Federal prison that takes up the next block up Texas was likely build when that part of DT was the absolute dregs. 

Now that would be an ambitious hotel conversion project, but one with a built in kitschy marketing angle. . 

• 1 month later...

Obviously it was primarily interior reconstruction. 

I can't wait to see the conversion of the interiors, and the lobby treatment. This will just add to the energy that this end of town sorely needed.

Like the rail, Enron Field, was supposed to be the game changer, but it took a little longer than expected to have an impact. That really didn't happen until the opening of Discovery Green.

Rip Van Winkle has finally awoken!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, gclass said:

^^^ quite lovely.  i would love to view the newly renovated front entry area.

It's not much different than it was before. Freshened up, new finishes, trim, etc., but substantially the same looking coming in off the sidewalk. Apart from the valet/bellman, I don't think anything is going down there.

There's a bar and the registration desk on the 2nd floor lobby that I didn't get in the pictures.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luminare said:

Jesus. 60's chic really is just engulfing interior design right now. Not complaining. Its a really fun aesthetic, but wow just all the sudden...boom 60's chic everywhere!

60s chic was considered quite tacky by the 80s.  Maybe it'll be more durable as a retro thing.

• Like 2

Just now, mollusk said:

60s chic was considered quite tacky by the 80s.  Maybe it'll be more durable as a retro thing.

It will also be durable due to better materials, and colors. Especially when it comes to wood. Lots of innovations in more durable woods and vinyl since the 60's. Colors are like those of the 60's but more vibrant and not as grainy. Lots of softer tones and brighter tones. Darker woods are making a comeback as well. Its an interesting time for interiors. Lots of retro rehashes, but with unique spins or takes.

• 2 years later...
On 6/25/2022 at 8:38 PM, Brooklyn173 said:

I'm not sure how long this sign has been upimage.png.800d5bf448129ce6dc0ccec7225e8544.png but I just noticed it this week

It's been there at least eight months — that's when I first noticed it.  But it's somehow not right, in that its size or position or design or something are wrong, and it's easy to not see.  Which is the exact opposite of what a sign is for.

5 hours ago, editor said:

It's been there at least eight months — that's when I first noticed it.  But it's somehow not right, in that its size or position or design or something are wrong, and it's easy to not see.  Which is the exact opposite of what a sign is for.

The use of a lower-case "i" among all upper-case letters is the visual equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. And the "Historic Petroleum Building Erected 1926" seems like an out-of-place afterthought - does that really need to be announced on the building's main sign, and if so, did they really have to use a basic, sans-serif font like Helvetica to do so? Also, the proportions of the sign would be marginally improved if the space below "Hotel" was truncated.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to Petroleum Building To Become Cambria Hotel
  • The title was changed to Cambria Hotel At 1314 Texas Ave.