Houston Endowment Corporate Headquarters At 3683 Willia St.

Urbannizer

1 minute ago, BeerNut said:

@hindeskyWow,  I've seen places in the West go all out but didn't realize we had one in Houston.  With the increase in energy cost and questionable reliability probably more businesses and homes will consider solar.

Looking thru the COH permits on Monday morning I see 20-40 permits for solar panels every week.

1 hour ago, BeerNut said:

@hindeskyWow,  I've seen places in the West go all out but didn't realize we had one in Houston.  With the increase in energy cost and questionable reliability probably more businesses and homes will consider solar.

Solar takes up a lot of space. I'm only in favor of employing solar if its in areas that are already taking up space, and would be enhanced with extra utility such as parking lots and roofs. Other than that I don't think solar justifies the cost in terms of power output to acreage of land. The applications seen above are great examples.

As far as out west...yes. Particularly when I was driving through Arizona on my way up to Utah, they definitely throw solar around there a lot which makes sense.

• Like 3

Houston has so much potential for solar installments like that. I had no idea the VA hospital one was so big! 

I feel like parking garage top floors would also be a good choice for those types of installs, too, because I hate parking at the top floor when it’s hot or fixing to rain. You get some electricity, you get another level of covered parking to protect from sun and rain. Win-win! 

I also agree, @Luminare, I think solar is at its best when it’s working alongside other uses. 
The arrays in the deserts are pretty cool though! I was so blown away when I was flying to CA and could see all the solar farms from the plane! Wow! 

Edited by BEES?!
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to Houston Endowment Corporate Headquarters At 3615-3683 Willia St.
  • 4 weeks later...

Wish our street artists were invited to color some of these panels.  Houston is colorful.

The Menil has been cited as a touchstone for these designers but this feels overdressed where the Menil feels relaxed.  This is a tasteful linen seersucker suit where none was required.

Seems like it breeds not community-centric, but institutional, activity

On 7/14/2022 at 7:10 PM, pokemonizepic said:

Talked to the Sherriff sitting outside of the construction site, they've been there for at least a couple of weeks now, stopping traffic anytime construction crews are crossing Waugh due to a worker being hit last month by a car. He Said the city currently has no plans to rework the intersection, which was a little disappointing. I don't think them sitting out there is a good use of their time nor a proper long term solution for the increase of foot traffic that will happen once this building is complete. 

Those are off duty deputies and they make a ton of money sitting there on their off hours. They are paid by the contractor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/24/2022 at 8:48 PM, strickn said:

Wish our street artists were invited to color some of these panels.  Houston is colorful.

The Menil has been cited as a touchstone for these designers but this feels overdressed where the Menil feels relaxed.  This is a tasteful linen seersucker suit where none was required.

Seems like it breeds not community-centric, but institutional, activity

personally I like how they're leaning into the "Menil architecture is Houston architecture" narrative. I think it goes well with the Ismaili Center across the bayou too

I like graffiti walls as much as the next guy but every city west of the Mississippi uses them to show they have "culture"

now, if by street artists you meant the Orange Show and by "color" you meant "decorate", then I could be persuaded 😄

Edited by MrFubbles
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, MrFubbles said:

personally I like how they're leaning into the "Menil architecture is Houston architecture" narrative. I think it goes well with the Ismaili Center across the bayou too

I like graffiti walls as much as the next guy but every city west of the Mississippi uses them to show they have "culture"

now, if by street artists you meant the Orange Show and by "color" you meant "decorate", then I could be persuaded 😄

I was literally just thinking the same thing. It flows so nice with the Ismaili Center down the road. 

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Houston Endowment Corporate Headquarters At 3683 Willia St.
2 hours ago, freundb said:

Construction fence is down. I wonder how close they are to finishing it. Hopefully they host an open house for the public.

To my eyes it looks like its at or very close to Substantial Completion. I imagine all they have is the final walk and punch list.

2 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Is it just me or was this completed relatively fast?

1 1/2 year construction isn't bad. This looks to me to be a very efficiently designed building from top to bottom. Steel Frame Construction for the guts of the building which is one of the quickest structures to erect. The canopy probably is using standard sizes. Same with the windows and doors. Even the special facade pieces are in regular and consistent measurements around the building (you can see what I mean by the creases and separation points). Having only one facade material also speed things up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Luminare said:

I believe that's an eventual phase to this. Lets just say I'm familiar with the original RFP that was sent out to design firms.

I know the designs that came back in the competition all had park improvements, but I would really love to see them come to life. I know it's a bowl and it's always gonna hold water, but when it rains now it turns two portions of the paths to mud. just some better drainage and grading would help there. 

4 hours ago, freundb said:

I know the designs that came back in the competition all had park improvements, but I would really love to see them come to life. I know it's a bowl and it's always gonna hold water, but when it rains now it turns two portions of the paths to mud. just some better drainage and grading would help there. 

I was really disappointed when they did a bunch of work on the main drainage point in Spott's park (brand new concrete culvert and pipe it looked like), only for all the water to pool NEXT to the drain and cover up the path to the bayou.