Houston Endowment Corporate Headquarters At 3683 Willia St.

Urbannizer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, hindesky said:

I saw that too, they must not have used a concrete vibrator and had air pockets.

x8tm1U3.jpg

frxmf6P.jpg

Ouch and that demo will not be cheap. Somebody on that job isn't going home with a paycheck. More than likely this will all be shouldered on the contractor. Then again I'm not on this job, and have no access to the specifications, but I would assume that most stock specs already have what is required, so this is bad sub work which would then fall on the GC.

Ouch and that demo will not be cheap. Somebody on that job isn't going home with a paycheck. More than likely this will all be shouldered on the contractor. Then again I'm not on this job, and have no access to the specifications, but I would assume that most stock specs already have what is required, so this is bad sub work which would then fall on the GC.

Just an FYI, mistakes happen ALL THE TIME in construction.  TAS (the concrete sub here) screwed it up and will replace it without complaint or cost to anyone else. That whole whoopsie is probably going to cost them less than 10k, nothing to really write home about, they will work the weekend and make up the time so schedule shouldn't be an issue either.  Oh and I would bet you a chicken dinner that the goofball that screwed up here did not go home and is in fact the one on the boom lift chipping out the bad concrete.  We call those "teaching moments"!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

Just an FYI, mistakes happen ALL THE TIME in construction.  TAS (the concrete sub here) screwed it up and will replace it without complaint or cost to anyone else. That whole whoopsie is probably going to cost them less than 10k, nothing to really write home about, they will work the weekend and make up the time so schedule shouldn't be an issue either.  Oh and I would bet you a chicken dinner that the goofball that screwed up here did not go home and is in fact the one on the boom lift chipping out the bad concrete.  We call those "teaching moments"!

Of course it happens all the time. I'm on an apartment job where there was a coordination issue between the ones pouring the slab and the guys doing the framing, so the area of the door didn't match where the door was going in the slab. They had to redo a portion of that framing. Construction is hard. Lets just be glad they knew what was wrong before anything was put on top of it.

Edited by Luminare

On 10/8/2021 at 8:36 AM, tangledwoods said:

Interesting. I find all this stuff fascinating but I have no idea how it all works behind the scenes. Back in my home town, a vertical support for a flyover ramp was being torn down about a week after it went up. The DOT project Facebook page claimed the contractor put the support a few feet from where it was supposed to be. I wondered how much that cost and if anyone got fired. 

For this building I'm just glad my apartment doesn't overlook the construction site. The noise from them removing the concrete is quite annoying!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 11:03 AM, freundb said:

Some progress being made when it isn't dumping buckets of rain on them. A bunch of the footings are done so hopefully it starts looking like a proper building soon. Also over the last few days they've been working on what appears to be some type of sign. Kind of a weird shape to me. 20211028_114511.jpg.daf3cfd452f6d3683c5d1909b1d95d65.jpg

20211028_114600.jpg

The bottom picture looks like a mockup wall to me. From the renders they have a lot of overhangs and when buildings are very streamlined and abstract, detail at corner conditions become really important as you don't have trim to hide any craftsmanship that is off. Then again I could be wrong and its actually a column, but looks like the beginnings of a mockup to me.

• Like 3

On 11/1/2021 at 8:55 AM, Luminare said:

The bottom picture looks like a mockup wall to me. From the renders they have a lot of overhangs and when buildings are very streamlined and abstract, detail at corner conditions become really important as you don't have trim to hide any craftsmanship that is off. Then again I could be wrong and its actually a column, but looks like the beginnings of a mockup to me.

Could be. Since the picture was taken, they rotated it 90 deg. I'll keep an eye on it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...