9 hours ago, cspwal said:

I'm thinking more day to day, walking around level.  That vacant lot makes a great dog-playing-catch area downtown 

You mean the old YMCA lot? If so then I can do without that grass field. That old yellow and red brick building was cute. 

Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing the developer is overjoyed they chose concrete over wood frame considering lumber prices currently. 

Also does anyone live in block 334 or on the red line? It's horn is actually really loud I can hear several blocks away I couldn't imagine living right next to it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

I'm guessing the developer is overjoyed they chose concrete over wood frame considering lumber prices currently. 

Also does anyone live in block 334 or on the red line? It's horn is actually really loud I can hear several blocks away I couldn't imagine living right next to it. 

It's not so loud, I honestly hear the bell and the train over the track switch in front of the greyhound more. Kinda pleasant to hear honestly, makes me feel like I live in a city :)

• Like 8

On 9/27/2020 at 3:13 PM, hindesky said:

gn2jznW.jpg

BsfQy9l.jpg

I know this Fairfield Residential project is probably going to look very nice in the middle of downtown.  However, that horrible old huge eyesore of a hotel/Days Inn? is still there unimproved, AND the old Exxon tower STILL hasn't been re-clad as has been Shorenstein? Properties' plan for years.  Yeah, I want it all done and now, right LOL! 

But, it sure does seem like these two (almost) abandoned remodels are taking much much longer than expected to begin renovations, with no start date in sight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

Some of us like the Exxon tower just the way it is, although it would be nice to get it some new tenants.

Agreed, I think it's really beautiful architecturally and historically. Why does everyone want ever building to look the same? 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I get jealous of Dallas from time to time because they've converted several of their mid-century office towers to residential. I think the Exxon/Humble Tower would make a great apartment tower. Just needs an amenities level somewhere or a nearby garage/amenities facility with skybridge.

I was going to say this.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Texasota said:

Some of us like the Exxon tower just the way it is, although it would be nice to get it some new tenants.

nope yuk yuk yuk !  too mid-century un-modern for my taste.  and this being HOUSTON after all, it would be great to have it visually more appealing IMHO, perhaps though, another color of glass like bronze or green or something that really pops with some sort of homage to the past look, perhaps at the lower ground level.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I get jealous of Dallas from time to time because they've converted several of their mid-century office towers to residential. I think the Exxon/Humble Tower would make a great apartment tower. Just needs an amenities level somewhere or a nearby garage/amenities facility with skybridge.

They did that because of a moribund downtown office market. We may end up having to do that now, but the reason why we haven't seen much of that yet is because our mid-century office buildings were still viable as offices, which offers higher profits than residential. For Dallas, I can only really think of the old Republic Bank building as having been converted, and then I think they finally started on that one with the wide pinstripes, but I doubt it's finished yet. Then maybe a few smaller ones?

I can think of at least 6-7 residential conversions in downtown Dallas of major towers built between mid 1940s and 1970ish. The Merc with its iconic clock tower is my favorite. The old Exxon has been empty for years. It is not in prime office territory and it cannot compete with newer builds. It's obsolete unless they just want to have a lower class B or even C tower going forward.

5 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

They did that because of a moribund downtown office market. We may end up having to do that now, but the reason why we haven't seen much of that yet is because our mid-century office buildings were still viable as offices, which offers higher profits than residential. For Dallas, I can only really think of the old Republic Bank building as having been converted, and then I think they finally started on that one with the wide pinstripes, but I doubt it's finished yet. Then maybe a few smaller ones?

2 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I can think of at least 6-7 residential conversions in downtown Dallas of major towers built between mid 1940s and 1970ish. The Merc with its iconic clock tower is my favorite. The old Exxon has been empty for years. It is not in prime office territory and it cannot compete with newer builds. It's obsolete unless they just want to have a lower class B or even C tower going forward.

The Statler comes to mind as well. There has definitely been a number of conversions or redevelopments within the past 5 years.

• Like 1