Gulfgate Center At 3111 Woodridge Dr.

Several reasons. First, it can conceal other sounds. Elevator music helped conceal the sounds of elevators, which could be disconcerting for passengers. It can also be used to select who stays in and who leaves a space.

Brian Eno composed a wonderful piece in response to the cheery background music he heard at the Cologne airport. He thought it would be much more calming to make music that made people stop caring if they died.

Yep, I have the CD. But I really don't think background music is usually there to conceal noise. I think it is just to fill up silence, because when more and more of the world has muzak, places without it begin to sound empty. Retailers must fret that customers will find lack of music disconcerting.

• Like 1

Background music has been around for as long as retail has been around. Its really interesting to read how its been used (among hundreds of other gimics) to SELL. I recall reading that some big stores play upbeat music to get you (pshyched) into feeling more happy hence you feel better about spending $$$.

I am guilty of such trappings especially around the holidays. When we used to go to Foley's at lunch time, become fixated like little lemmings heading out to sea and head for the Tree display area, holiday music gets cranked and we start spending. I robot.

I personally love walking into a salvage/antique store and they play swing era music on a victrola and it gets you "In The Mood" to buy more junk, It works!

It will be sooooo cool to go to HEB one day and they have a hard core band playing out front. Imagine a mosh pit in full swing as you head for the veg dept? :P

Who is Brian Eno? He's a human involved with music and art. There's a wikipedia article about him. He was in Roxy Music, had a solo career, worked with Robert Fripp, Devo, Talking Heads, U2 and a bunch of other people.

Human eh? Hrm.. never heard of him. Sounds irrelevant.

hmmm, Eno trivia? Or sharp stick in my eye?

Back on the HEB music subject, it is just so weird wheeling through the FUD display and eating free chorizo samples while Joy Division is blaring.

What would be even cooler is if the lady at the FUD display starting singing the words to that Joy Division song... complete with accent. You're sampling the FUD products while she just stands there singing... her empty gaze staring you right in the eye.

Background music has been around for as long as retail has been around. Its really interesting to read how its been used (among hundreds of other gimics) to SELL. I recall reading that some big stores play upbeat music to get you (pshyched) into feeling more happy hence you feel better about spending $$$.

I am guilty of such trappings especially around the holidays. When we used to go to Foley's at lunch time, become fixated like little lemmings heading out to sea and head for the Tree display area, holiday music gets cranked and we start spending. I robot.

I personally love walking into a salvage/antique store and they play swing era music on a victrola and it gets you "In The Mood" to buy more junk, It works!

It will be sooooo cool to go to HEB one day and they have a hard core band playing out front. Imagine a mosh pit in full swing as you head for the veg dept? :P

That would be neat. You're just going to have to make sure you take off your belt buckle and boots to join in the fun!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm convinced the new manager looks sort of like this. :lol: Here he is taking a smoke break.

250px-Punks.jpg

I have to thank y'all for adding this thread. It is one of my favorites on this forum. Now, everytime I step into this HEB, I note what songs they are playing and chuckle down the aisles looking at the demographics who shop at this store. It does not add up. I will bust out laughing if I hear the obscure 80s tune, Down in the Park by Gary Numan or How Soon is Now by the Smiths.

Some may have an issue with background music but for me it works. I am drawn to this store because of the music.

Edited by Fez1964

I have to thank y'all for adding this thread. It is one of my favorites on this forum. Now, everytime I step into this HEB, I note what songs they are playing and chuckle down the aisles looking at the demographics who shop at this store. It does not add up. I will bust out laughing if I hear the obscure 80s tune, Down in the Park by Gary Numan or How Soon is Now by the Smiths.

Some may have an issue with background music but for me it works. I am drawn to this store because of the music.

Does any one know how those tapes or whatever are rigged to play on for hours on end?

I am quite serious when I say I want to ask the manager how I can get a copy for myself? Very serious.

The other night I was tapping my foot (while grinning) to some very rare Adam Ant (or rather Ant Music as he used to put it). Stand & Deliver, Goody two shoes, etc. It was surreal! One hit after another, it was if I was in a Less Than Zero film, 80's time warp. :rolleyes:

Again, does anyone know if this music/store track can be bought?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPgHbt0ODr4

Does any one know how those tapes or whatever are rigged to play on for hours on end?

I am quite serious when I say I want to ask the manager how I can get a copy for myself? Very serious.

The other night I was tapping my foot (while grinning) to some very rare Adam Ant (or rather Ant Music as he used to put it). Stand & Deliver, Goody two shoes, etc. It was surreal! One hit after another, it was if I was in a Less Than Zero film, 80's time warp. :rolleyes:

I think it can...

The other night I was tapping my foot (while grinning) to some very rare Adam Ant (or rather Ant Music as he used to put it). Stand & Deliver, Goody two shoes, etc. It was surreal! One hit after another, it was if I was in a Less Than Zero film, 80's time warp. rolleyes.gif

in the past the Muzak Service would send tapes that resembled 8 tracks, but were designed to loop......now Muzak offers satellite, CD, or network services

http://music.muzak.com/delivery/

http://www.amazon.com/Antics-Forbidden-Zon...s/dp/B0000027E4

you can buy the MP3 of the single for .99 at Amazon (click on the listen to samples) and or the whole CD....not sure it will be sold on vinyl or CD as a single now

Edited by TexasVines

• 3 weeks later...
What would they call it? How about:

#'s @ HEB

Hilarious! They could even put up several huge silver screens to display the 80's vid's like Strawberry Switchblade's - Jolene, Cabaret Voltaire, Ministry, 9 Inch Nails, etc...... :D

Today I was once in a Haif remind, state of mind. When I went to the RR at an office building in the Galleria area, they were playing some great background music. Yep, even a Rest room can be classy when nice music is added. It wasn't too loud just right and had a tropical St Tropez effect to it. Imagine sipping margaritas/pina colada's while cleaning up? hah! Many upscale restaurants and clubs have RR mood music.

but yes, #'s @ HEB is something we can suggest to corporate HEB headquarters. lol

My husband always points out the great, tho odd music played randomly at stores throughout town. I think I must have gone throughout life oblivious to background music until he actually started pointing out that music was even playing. :-)

I think a lot of stores have a special radio for background music that interjects adds/specials? I know I've heard "Sonic Radio" before.

Hilarious! They could even put up several huge silver screens to display the 80's vid's like Strawberry Switchblade's - Jolene, Cabaret Voltaire, Ministry, 9 Inch Nails, etc...... :D

Today I was once in a Haif remind, state of mind. When I went to the RR at an office building in the Galleria area, they were playing some great background music. Yep, even a Rest room can be classy when nice music is added. It wasn't too loud just right and had a tropical St Tropez effect to it. Imagine sipping margaritas/pina colada's while cleaning up? hah! Many upscale restaurants and clubs have RR mood music.

but yes, #'s @ HEB is something we can suggest to corporate HEB headquarters. lol

No really. They can gut out that bank that's there and set up shop in there.

Most of these places are satelite feeds and whoever the M.O.D. is must like the 80's station. That's what we have it on right now up here, but I could walk to the back and switch it to Gangsta Rap and nobody would notice for 3 or 4 days probably. <_<:D

Most of these places are satelite feeds and whoever the M.O.D. is must like the 80's station. That's what we have it on right now up here, but I could walk to the back and switch it to Gangsta Rap and nobody would notice for 3 or 4 days probably. <_<:D

Shoot. Er... I mean.. do it! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was "walking in stereo" about a week ago I think it was a Friday. They played some of the most obscure and not heard for decades cool stuff I swear.

I really wanted to sit on a display and jam or record what was playing. It began with some Bananarama from Less Than Zero soundtrack and kept going into Robert Downey Jr madness. :lol:

I need to go shake to managers hand that is daring enough to kick down barriers and remain deliant to ...it's going to get better people! Come back,,,,come back....

I was "walking in stereo" about a week ago I think it was a Friday. They played some of the most obscure and not heard for decades cool stuff I swear.

I really wanted to sit on a display and jam or record what was playing. It began with some Bananarama from Less Than Zero soundtrack and kept going into Robert Downey Jr madness. :lol:

I need to go shake to managers hand that is daring enough to kick down barriers and remain deliant to ...it's going to get better people! Come back,,,,come back....

Robert Downey madness in less that zero...man I hope it wasnt the scene I`m thinking of.

Now this is even weirder...Fiesta on Telephone...typical tejano playing then.. Gene Vincent, WTF...that was kinda crazy.

I never go in this store because it drives me insane. But as I keep seeing this post I just might have to break my rule and stroll through just to enjoy the music.

It will be well worth the experience "will dull the senses" ala Roger Daltrey film "Tommy" :lol:

I am convinced this manager must have worked as a DJ at Studio 54, CBGB's, etc. The range of music leaves one Spellbound. If its a lady manager playing this cool stuff she must be a Goth or be a Souxie & The Banshees look-a-like. Too cool. :blush:

Edited by Vertigo58
  • Like 1

Robert Downey madness in less that zero...man I hope it wasnt the scene I`m thinking of.

Now this is even weirder...Fiesta on Telephone...typical tejano playing then.. Gene Vincent, WTF...that was kinda crazy.

Do not underestimate the musical tastes of hispanics. It can be diverse. In Mexico, for example, the 80s music discussed on this thread is popular among the younger generations.

• Like 1

Do not underestimate the musical tastes of hispanics. It can be diverse. In Mexico, for example, the 80s music discussed on this thread is popular among the younger generations.

Sames goes for Italy and Spain. The people I speak with are in late 20's to mid 30's and still love The Cure, etc . I assume because they know how their aunts & uncles worshipped the 80's alternative music age so they want to catch up. :P I know when in my early 20's I was buying 95% British music. No regrets whatsoever!

Bottom line is some cultures (or generations of that culture) do not want to open up to new things. So they get left behind with the times.

• The title was changed to Gulfgate Center Mall Developments
  • 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Gulfgate Center At 3111 Woodridge Dr.