Gulfgate Center At 3111 Woodridge Dr.

Malls and retail chains, including grocery stores, frequently subscribe to a music broadcast service that plays a mix specifically designed for those outlets. When I worked in retail, we got thoroughly sick of hearing the same stuff played every day for months. The holiday season was particularly bad, as the Christmas music started in November.

I have been in the Gulfgate HEB when Mexican pop classics were being played. Maybe the manager turned off the music service and started playing something from his/her own collection!

Has anyone been in the Galleria Nordstrom store when a live pianist was playing requests from the customers? Now that's class!

I realize stores play background music designed for the demographics, so I have always wondered why they often play 80`s new wave at this store. I thought maybe it was to make some people uneasy with the unfamiliar music? This am, in the short time I was there, they played the Cure, the Clash, and Psychedelic Furs...where does the music come from? Club HEB? I am not complaining and actually love when they play the music, but just curious about the thought behind it.

Funny, I've heard nothing but classic rock every time I'm in line at the Walgreen's at OST and Scott St.

That would be kinda like playing nothing but hip-hop in the Belden's grocery store on Braeswood.

389664194_4cc815c34b.jpg?v=0

I realize stores play background music designed for the demographics, so I have always wondered why they often play 80`s new wave at this store. I thought maybe it was to make some people uneasy with the unfamiliar music? This am, in the short time I was there, they played the Cure, the Clash, and Psychedelic Furs...where does the music come from? Club HEB? I am not complaining and actually love when they play the music, but just curious about the thought behind it.

WE LOVE IT!

I could not believe I was listening to Ramones "Rock N Roll High" School while grabbing for the milk! It was fantastic! Then they crept into more obscure and almost forgotten Brit music that you only heard in the underground or New Wave clubs of the time. I ams till reeling! Finally our messages have been heard! :D

Adam Ant

oh ya...I heard Stand and Deliver the other day at HEB..stragest thing ever. So no one thinks this is a subliminal thing? I thought maybe it made the regular shoppers feel uneasy and maybe not steal anything, or eat the product and put it back.

Malls and retail chains, including grocery stores, frequently subscribe to a music broadcast service that plays a mix specifically designed for those outlets. When I worked in retail, we got thoroughly sick of hearing the same stuff played every day for months. The holiday season was particularly bad, as the Christmas music started in November.

I have been in the Gulfgate HEB when Mexican pop classics were being played. Maybe the manager turned off the music service and started playing something from his/her own collection!

Has anyone been in the Galleria Nordstrom store when a live pianist was playing requests from the customers? Now that's class!

Musak! We subscribed to that service at the Speedo Store in the Galleria. We got a new disc each month.

oh ya...I heard Stand and Deliver the other day at HEB..stragest thing ever. So no one thinks this is a subliminal thing? I thought maybe it made the regular shoppers feel uneasy and maybe not steal anything, or eat the product and put it back.

Dude! You know this place quite well! :lol: Even Seller's is following back to sanity!

I noticed that the last 2 times going there they also went back to the great 70's, 80's music classics! No more gunfire shots in the background as you shop!

Bring in the Sex Pistols! (not pistola's) :lol:

Johnny Rotten

Edited by Vertigo58

A side note on the HEB--what happened to the big tent covering? It didn't look damaged before they removed it--but now it looks stonehenge-esque with the columns and wires remaining.

Barnum & Bailey needed an extra tent...so they're renting it. :P

A side note on the HEB--what happened to the big tent covering? It didn't look damaged before they removed it--but now it looks stonehenge-esque with the columns and wires remaining.

part of it was ripped off during high winds a few months back. I had gone to store and they were temporarily shut down while the removed all of it. Hey, one less place for the grackles to roost.

I like shopping in the evening when it's party time, and I can actually hear Disco Inferno rather than children wailing.

A couple of months ago I asked one of the managers when the tent would be replaced. She said it might be a year or more due to the design and cost. That tent did a great job of shading the store entrance from the hot Texas sun, but I question the use of a material so fragile in an geographic area with frequent windstorms and the occasional hurricane. What was the architect thinking?

What was the architect thinking?

Thats exactly what we knew would happen. Just cant work in our unpredictable extreme weather conditions.

I personally always loved elevator music no matter where it is played. Very soothing. Not sure why people started knocking it, guess it was bound to happen as younger generations came along.

A couple of months ago I asked one of the managers when the tent would be replaced. She said it might be a year or more due to the design and cost. That tent did a great job of shading the store entrance from the hot Texas sun, but I question the use of a material so fragile in an geographic area with frequent windstorms and the occasional hurricane. What was the architect thinking?

Thanks for the info. With that in mind, I guess it says a lot about the material if it lasted this long. I look forward to having it back, because that made that location pretty unique to me--almost festive :D

• 1 month later...
I heard "Quite Unusual" by Front242 when I was there yesterday. Cool.

Exactly! Too good to be true!

I am still reeling from hearing Rock, rock, Rock N Roll High School by the Ramones! was almost pogo-ing down the isles and not caring what the others around thought. :blush:

It was one great 80's hit after another. I tell you my emails to the corporate offices must have made someone notice. If only you all could see what they said...hee hee. Now for some Nine Inch Nails & Ministry!

• Like 1

I HATE background music!!! *fist pounds table* Especially the "classic rock" hits from the 1960s to 1980s. When they make me king of the world one of my first decrees will be to ban it. Why is it that every public business feels like they have to have background music?

• Like 1

I HATE background music!!! *fist pounds table* Especially the "classic rock" hits from the 1960s to 1980s. When they make me king of the world one of my first decrees will be to ban it. Why is it that every public business feels like they have to have background music?

Same here. There is too much noise in the world and not enough quiet. I guess I'm also picky when it comes to music. The only exception for me is when dining. Some subtle background music that fits the restaurant can be nice. But when it doesn't fit it's annoying (like playing Sunny 99.1 in an authentic Thai restaurant...at least play something Thai!).

• Like 1

Exactly! Too good to be true!

I am still reeling from hearing Rock, rock, Rock N Roll High School by the Ramones! was almost pogo-ing down the isles and not caring what the others around thought. :blush:

It was one great 80's hit after another. I tell you my emails to the corporate offices must have made someone notice. If only you all could see what they said...hee hee. Now for some Nine Inch Nails & Ministry!

My friend who is a cashier there said they are thinking of putting some trance as well. Cool.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I could not believe the last Saturday they were playing Ball of Confusion. Was it Love & Rockets that made it famous in the 80's?

I could swear I could smell the aroma of cloves :D or was it Maui Wowee? HEB is becoming more like Number's Friday night 80's night. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Then the went into some Yaz!

Edited by Vertigo58

Several reasons. First, it can conceal other sounds. Elevator music helped conceal the sounds of elevators, which could be disconcerting for passengers. It can also be used to select who stays in and who leaves a space.

Brian Eno composed a wonderful piece in response to the cheery background music he heard at the Cologne airport. He thought it would be much more calming to make music that made people stop caring if they died.

• Like 1

Several reasons. First, it can conceal other sounds. Elevator music helped conceal the sounds of elevators, which could be disconcerting for passengers. It can also be used to select who stays in and who leaves a space.

Brian Eno composed a wonderful piece in response to the cheery background music he heard at the Cologne airport. He thought it would be much more calming to make music that made people stop caring if they died.

Who is that?

• Like 1

ha! Cap'n Crunch is a walking Eno encyclopedia. Sometimes just to rile him up I'll tell him that Eno is really only a hologram. Of course that sets off an hour long musicology lecture that I end up regretting.

We'll have to play Trivial Pursuit: Eno Edition some time.

• Like 1