Gulfgate Center At 3111 Woodridge Dr.

What are highlights?

A ladies shoe line carried by Pay-Less. Very cheap basically. Back when I was in the apartment business they were the leasing agents friend. Many would start out wearing their good shoes until they ended up having to show in the rain, or sludging through a water logged sidewalk. Most learned to keep their good shoes at home and stocked up on the good old Highlights for work.

Do you think we will ever see the day there is a Red Lobster built at Gulfgate? Serious.

and while I'm at it what about...

An upscale Japanese Restaurant

Ristorante Italiano

PF Chang's

upscale Steak House

see where I'm going with this? No I'm not drinking as I type this.

Do you think we will ever see the day there is a Red Lobster built at Gulfgate? Serious.

Ristorante Italiano

PF Chang's

upscale Steak House

Red Lobster I could live without. Upscale Japanese, I'm afraid we will be going downtown or midtown for that (its not that far anyway), as for Italian, old George's on Park Place isn't bad. Certainly not upscale, but decent food. PF Chang's, ehhh, just another chain, who needs it with 888 there. As for upscale steak places, how is Bonnie's or whatever it is called across the freeway? I have never been there so I don't know. It looks nice on the outside.

Red Lobster I could live without. Upscale Japanese, I'm afraid we will be going downtown or midtown for that (its not that far anyway), as for Italian, old George's on Park Place isn't bad. Certainly not upscale, but decent food. PF Chang's, ehhh, just another chain, who needs it with 888 there. As for upscale steak places, how is Bonnie's or whatever it is called across the freeway? I have never been there so I don't know. It looks nice on the outside.

i concur on red lobster...ewwww. Although we used to frequent the one on Broadway (near Bellfort) when I was a kid (currently Don Carlos).

Too bad Mandola's Blue Oyster Bar closed a few years back. Still have Captain Benny's boat to enjoy beer and oysters on the deck though. :ph34r:

bonnie's has never impressed me. not awful but not noteworthy either.

Pf changs is overrated IMO. 888 is awesome. Also like the Vietnamese food at Cuu Long on Broadway sometimes too.

George's is decent italian at a great price from a great guy.

How about Kelley's as a steakhouse?! :P

As for upscale steak places, how is Bonnie's or whatever it is called across the freeway? I have never been there so I don't know. It looks nice on the outside.

it's ok....i've been there before but didn't think it was special. but it sure does pack em in.

Strangely enough, as many years as Iv'e been around the area, I have never been inside of Bonnie's. I have been told by several people that it's more of a lover's hangout whatever that is. I guess they meant like where you would propose marriage or smooch/make-out in dim booths? Another person said it was more like a big bar for drinking? Its just a steak dinner kind of place isn't it? Smooching...indeed.

I miss Blue Oyster Bar too, it was our regular hangout. Loved the gumbo.

Oh yes that Panda Chinese place is real good. I remember going there often in SoCal. I was extremely happy that they finally made it to Texas. Hope it lasts.

Strangely enough, as many years as Iv'e been around the area, I have never been inside of Bonnie's. I have been told by several people that it's more of a lover's hangout whatever that is. I guess they meant like where you would propose marriage or smooch/make-out in dim booths? Another person said it was more like a big bar for drinking? Its just a steak dinner kind of place isn't it? Smooching...indeed.

I miss Blue Oyster Bar too, it was our regular hangout. Loved the gumbo.

Oh yes that Panda Chinese place is real good. I remember going there often in SoCal. I was extremely happy that they finally made it to Texas. Hope it lasts.

you must be a chain fanatic. i didn't like the panda place when i tried it. i had the sizzling beef at 888 last night for the first time and it was GREAT! it is only on the chinese menu.

i don't think bonnie's in particularly dark nor is it a lovers' hangout.

The Red Lobster at Baybrook is my fav and I had to go this weekend. That specific local is my fav in fact, but then again, the customer service in our area (Gulfgate) will never top the Baybrook area service. These young people at Baybrook are professional. If you havent noticed by now (and how couldnt you?) that any establishment that opens new in funky Gulfgate starts out with managers and staff from all over the city. then after the place is going good they leave. Once they leave all they have left are the looser staff with lousy attitudes that seem to blatanlty show how much they hate thier jobs.

We have discussed them all here already again and again. Gulfgate's - Home Depot (top of the list), Lowe's, HEB, etc. They all suck major.

Canada is sounding good now. :)

Great way to start Monday morning right!

The Red Lobster at Baybrook is my fav and I had to go this weekend. That specific local is my fav in fact, but then again, the customer service in our area (Gulfgate) will never top the Baybrook area service. These young people at Baybrook are professional.
LOL. let me give you my neighbor's number, she waited for a call back from a framing place for 2 weeks before i told her to call them! of course her pic WAS ready, they did not call her like they promised. THAT'S baybrook service for ya! baybrook is definitely no shopping oasis. Edited by musicman

I normally don't beleive I need to explain my comments, but since I know you I will.

When a I stated "professional" up above, I mean't when a clerk or waitress/waiter approcaches you.

The common professionalism that management instructs them on how to greet a customer ie; the common:

How are you today? Can I help you find something? Is there anything in particular I can help you find? Most importantly that it is spoken clearly and direct. The best one I personally love is, "I will be with you in just a moment". That one sets the tone perfectly. Let's me know they noticed me or people I am with.

Common courtesies that come from a good upbringing help tremendously too. This is clearly lacking in some environments in Gulfgate hoods.

The management in this area doesn't know or care to learn common courtesies so how can they instruct employees? Parents are worse, let brat's run around tearing up the place and allow them to push adults to the side without saying "excuse me". I could go on but its not worth it. :wacko:

I'm going to start practicing Canadian in prepartion to move thats all there is to it. That or the Scarface T-shirt/doo-rag deal. Way to go aye?

you must be a chain fanatic. i didn't like the panda place when i tried it. i had the sizzling beef at 888 last night for the first time and it was GREAT! it is only on the chinese menu.

i don't think bonnie's in particularly dark nor is it a lovers' hangout.

There's a Panda Express in the Gulfgate area? Man ... SBUx, Old Navy, Panda Express ... it really is a different game over there now.

Ristorante Italiano

PF Chang's

upscale Steak House

http://www.globest.com/news/961_961/gsrsou...t/162780-1.html

Almeda Mall, twice as close as Baybrook, has just been sold for $40M to people who plan to be ploughing $80M into updating it and specifically adding a bunch of pad sites facing the freeway. That might cover some of these bases.

Almeda Mall, twice as close as Baybrook, has just been sold for $40M to people who plan to be ploughing $80M into updating it and specifically adding a bunch of pad sites facing the freeway. That might cover some of these bases.

baybrook is the ultimate shopping experience for vert.

I think a PF Chang's would forever change the perception of Gulfgate ...and in a good way. If that happens ... wow ... that would be nice.

mmmmm, sizzling beef at the 8s!!! For easy reference if you phone it in, it's number 26 on the Chinese menu. Also outstanding is number 24 Chinese. Beef with scallions, leeks, cilantro and chilis. Yum.

I am so hungry right now. And I facing drab and potentially hazardous cafeteria fare.

Your comments are ... well ... just ... cruel.

mmmmm, sizzling beef at the 8s!!! For easy reference if you phone it in, it's number 26 on the Chinese menu. Also outstanding is number 24 Chinese. Beef with scallions, leeks, cilantro and chilis. Yum.

Is this the place behind Dot's Coffee Shop? If it is it is a pretty good place, just too small. There's just something wierd about walking into a former Pizza Hut remodeled building. Just plain weird. You all think this is upscale?

Shaaaa...ya know what....

We need The Vancome Lady in here y'all.

150px-Vanlady.jpg

I think a PF Chang's would forever change the perception of Gulfgate ...and in a good way. If that happens ... wow ... that would be nice.

PF chang's can't compete chinese food-wise with 888, only in atmosphere would it win.

Is this the place behind Dot's Coffee Shop? If it is it is a pretty good place, just too small.
yes it is behind dot's. too small for what? you're missing out vert. Edited by musicman

PF chang's can't compete chinese food-wise with 888, only in atmosphere would it win.

yes it is behind dot's. too small for what? you're missing out vert.

Has to look like & have the ambiance of Bira Poretti's downtown or just doesn't cut it.

Maybe I should call in Mrs Drysdale too, she knows how to clean house.lol :lol:

Edited by Vertigo58

• 9 months later...
latest under construction... party city and shoe carnaval next to best buy. proposed palais royal and staples next to those.

Thanks for the updates. I'm still hoping for a decent Bally's. The closest Bally's in Pasadena was pitiful when I first joined 20 years ago.

• 2 months later...

I realize stores play background music designed for the demographics, so I have always wondered why they often play 80`s new wave at this store. I thought maybe it was to make some people uneasy with the unfamiliar music? This am, in the short time I was there, they played the Cure, the Clash, and Psychedelic Furs...where does the music come from? Club HEB? I am not complaining and actually love when they play the music, but just curious about the thought behind it.